Carpet or Wood/Vinyl under table?

DennisG

Registered
Hi All,

Lots of lurking not much posting for me. I have had a Gold Crown 4 in my basement for a few years, got a good deal on a Gold Crown 5. Before I set it up, I decided its time to remodel the basement a bit and put some flooring down.

Had painted/ speckled concrete before but I got some commercial carpet tiles and just had them temporarily laid down around table and they were nice to stand on while playing but I'm not knocked out by the color now that I am doing the permanent remodeling job. Got a good deal on some very high quality luxury vinyl planks with cork backing that look like wood planks. Now I am thinking they might not be as nice for playing on as carpet, so I am somewhat torn.

What are your opinions as to the best surface to have around the table to play on?

Anythings gotta be better than that diamond plate in those pro tournament matches that Earl had to get Johnny Archer to fetch him some shoes from the room so he didn't slide!

Smooth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do both

hardwood under the table itself just larger than the footprint, and carpet elsewhere

the carpet can then be replaced without disturbing the table

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

Lots of lurking not much posting for me. I have had a Gold Crown 4 in my basement for a few years, got a good deal on a Gold Crown 5. Before I set it up, I decided its time to remodel the basement a bit and put some flooring down.

Had painted/ speckled concrete before but I got some commercial carpet tiles and just had them temporarily laid down around table and they were nice to stand on while playing but I'm not knocked out by the color now that I am doing the permanent remodeling job. Got a good deal on some very high quality luxury vinyl planks with cork backing that look like wood planks. Now I am thinking they might not be as nice for playing on as carpet, so I am somewhat torn.

What are your opinions as to the best surface to have around the table to play on?

Anythings gotta be better than that diamond plate in those pro tournament matches that Earl had to get Johnny Archer to fetch him some shoes from the room so he didn't slide!
A friend used those rubber floor tiles like they have in gyms. That stuff is tough!! He just used it where the table sits and regular berber carpet for rest.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It really depends on how much you want to spend, how confident you are in the "dryness" of your basement and what overall look you are going for.

I personally think carpet is a borderline disgusting way to cover any floor except maybe a bedroom...but that's just me. I had good commercial carpet in my previous house's basement and it was fine but because it wears in a ring around the table it had to be replaced when I sold the table in preparation for selling the house.

I wouldn't want concrete even if it is stained. It's just too much wear and tear on a body.

I thing cork is a great choice but there are really good and really bad versions of cork flooring. I went with engineered wood put down directly on the concrete using a heavy (and very expensive) adhesive/moisture barrier/leveling compound. I had been in the house for 8 years and knew it was bone dry plus it was generally flat and level within reason. I did tile in the bar/kitchen, bathroom and walkout entry areas but everywhere else is the wood. It isn't as cushy as carpet by any stretch but gives a little more than concrete and (as important to me) has a nice rich look. My early memories of a pool hall were dark old hardwood floors so maybe that was part of it.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 276

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:

Go with whatever is needed depending on what "should" be put in your particular basement, which will depend on leaks...etc...etc.

After you do ^^^^^^^ ...... have a flooring person put carpet only on areas around table. Make sure it goes a bit under the table and far enough out from table while in the "approaching the table" stance.

^^^^^^ way you can replace carpet fairly cheap and easily as needed.

Then, if you ever sell the house or just the table, all you have to do is roll up the carpet and your permanent flooring is already there.

Jeff

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my table in the garage so I used the foam tiles all around the table and left concrete under the table. It is very comfortable to play on and is not bothered by water. It is also inexpensive.

DennisG

Registered
Thanks for some ideas. Those pics look great. It seems that most people are saying they like standing on carpet when playing.

The flooring i intended to use is a luxury vinyl plank that looks very much like the engineered flooring in the pic, but it is vinyl and has a cork backing which will soften the feel of it. I have enough to do 14x22.

I am not sure that carpet can be put on top of it but perhaps I can leave an open channel around the table and install carpet within it. I think that is an intriguing idea, plus that will give me more of the luxury vinyl to work with to fill more of my space.

How far do you think the outer edge of the channel of carpet should be from the edge of the table? thanks!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I like hardwood, engineered wood or the vinyl planking.

I would go with what you have. If, in time you find it uncomfortable, you can always alter it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put a carpet under the table regardless and have it cut oversized.
Then adopt a rule no food or drink allowed within the carpeted area.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for some ideas. Those pics look great. It seems that most people are saying they like standing on carpet when playing.

The flooring i intended to use is a luxury vinyl plank that looks very much like the engineered flooring in the pic, but it is vinyl and has a cork backing which will soften the feel of it. I have enough to do 14x22.

I am not sure that carpet can be put on top of it but perhaps I can leave an open channel around the table and install carpet within it. I think that is an intriguing idea, plus that will give me more of the luxury vinyl to work with to fill more of my space.

How far do you think the outer edge of the channel of carpet should be from the edge of the table? thanks!

Regardless of what the permanent flooring is, if you have carpet cut to go around the table, make SURE to have it cut large enough to give you room to go through your usual "approach" to the table.

In other words, make sure you have carpet under your feet even when you step back from table to get a better/different view/perception of the cb to ob or pocket relation.

For my style of play, I need the carpet to start 6" under table and go out ~7ft all the way around the table.

Talk to your flooring guys and find out the best way to keep the carpet from moving around if you decide to just lay carpet on top of the vinyl.

I would put vinyl down.and then put carpet over the walking /stance area around table. That way you can replace it as needed very easily and very inexpensively.

As a matter of fact, you could have the flooring guy cut you two pieces of carpet. That way if you needed to, or just wanted to, you could replace it and not have to worry about finding the same carpet.

I like it because it's easy, cheap and gives you the option to change thickness of flooring, color etc...etc.

I have a buddy that changes his carpet like that every 6 months. He says its easier than cleaning it and his place always looks nice.

Not to mention, your feet, knees and back will thank you later.

Also, like i said before, if you ever sell the table or move and take the table with you, all you have to do is roll the carpet up and wahala....your floor is ready to show.

Jeff

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my GC in my apartment. The flooring was originally cheap apartment carpet/padding on top of poured concrete. It was like that for 3 years.

Then, my flooring was upgraded to wood looking vinyl. The vinyl is about 3/16” thick, and was placed directly on the concrete with some mortar.

I enjoyed both floors about the same. I play in my bare feet, and the vinyl is no problem as far as being too hard.

I’d say go with the wood you have, and skip the carpet entirely.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my GC in my apartment. The flooring was originally cheap apartment carpet/padding on top of poured concrete. It was like that for 3 years.

Then, my flooring was upgraded to wood looking vinyl. The vinyl is about 3/16” thick, and was placed directly on the concrete with some mortar.

I enjoyed both floors about the same. I play in my bare feet, and the vinyl is no problem as far as being too hard.

I’d say go with the wood you have, and skip the carpet entirely.

I don't know what health issues if any the OP has, nor do I know his age. But, I have seen you in videos in the ghost challenge section and you "appear" to be fairly young and healthy. Now, I've assumed wrong before so, forgive the assumption if it's wrong but, us older and more out to be riddled with injuries/health issues need a softer surface to walk on or, our time at the table will be extremely limited.

Myself, I need carpet around my table, badly. I've got enough metal in my back to build a small buick...add that to arthritis in feet, knees and hips, coupled with too much else to mention.....well, it makes it rough to stay with the young and frisky ghost we all like to beat.

People that dont need carpet are lucky. They are more out to play better for longer periods of time which = more consistent.

Me not having carpet, is one of the reasons I've not been able to participate in the ghost thread. I've got some ordered and it should be here about the same time my next back surgery is done in late December...fingers crossed.

Ive been itching to throw caution to the wind and try anyways. Every time I see one of you guys post a vid, it seems to put a little gas in my tank but, the damn tires are flat...lol.

Anyways:

OP,

If your feet, ankles, knees, back etc...etc have issues, you may want to do what I did. I consulted two of my doctors about what how pool would help or hurt my conditions and if carpet was a necessary to keep things from degrading even faster.

IUSETOBERICH,

Didn't mean to sound argumentative or anything. Just wanted to put it out there in case OP has a reason to have to have it. I know several people that really need carpet but, they don't use it for whatever reason and they pay the price every so often.

Getting old sucks but, like they say, "it's better than the alternative"...

Jeff

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dry basement, large family area including the pool table is pretty much 2/3 of the basement, we had it carpeted with a nice tight, quality berber when I finished it off years ago. Enjoy the hardwood floors upstairs in certain areas, but like the carpet when spending time at the table (nice when wearing socks, lol), lying on the floor watching TV (especially in the winter), dogs enjoy the carpet as well and always better than slippery floors for young, growing pups as a preventive measure against hip issues, and now a couple dogs are a lot older they especially enjoy the carpet (when they aren't in the chairs or on the sofa).