Making a cue lighter

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably a stupid question, but can a Schon cue be made any lighter if the bolt is already been removed? Like boring out the butt some? I told you it was a stupid question, but at the same time, a serious one.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You would be messing with the cue's integrity by then . And disasters can happen when drilling the handle.

You're already messing with the balance by a lot without that bolt.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
A lighter joint pin and/or replace metal joint is going to be the most effective way. You can get a little bit out of the handle, but it wont be a lot unless you bore it out more than you probably should.

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I thought. What's an extra ounce anyways????? I went from a 18.5oz cue to 19.5 cause I liked the cue. At the end of one day I had adjusted, I will guess it will be the same from 19.5 to 20.5....

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeap, in a couple of weeks you won't even remember what the weight was :)

Mario

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably a stupid question, but can a Schon cue be made any lighter if the bolt is already been removed? Like boring out the butt some? I told you it was a stupid question, but at the same time, a serious one.

Schon calls that an assembly bolt and they offer a few different weights.

Keith

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don`t bother is my advice, you could be opening a can of worms.
I think you will adjust to the cue if you give it some time.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
boring the butt to lighten the cue has been tried many times......... you most likely can't get more than a 1/2 oz without ruining the cue.................

Kim

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lighter joint pin and/or replace metal joint is going to be the most effective way. You can get a little bit out of the handle, but it wont be a lot unless you bore it out more than you probably should.

Always easier said than done. I have a Schon with a messed up pin that I’ve been trying to remove for a week now.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always easier said than done. I have a Schon with a messed up pin that I’ve been trying to remove for a week now.

Good morning
I changed one once. I wish I took pictures like I do now. It was a lot of work. Schon has or had a policy of not touching one of thier cues once someone else works on it. Try to get them to repair it. The one I did was really different than the normal set up we are use too.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning
I changed one once. I wish I took pictures like I do now. It was a lot of work. Schon has or had a policy of not touching one of thier cues once someone else works on it. Try to get them to repair it. The one I did was really different than the normal set up we are use too.

Care to expand on that? Is there something locking the pin in place?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Care to expand on that? Is there something locking the pin in place?

I wish I could remember the exact details. I remember removing the joint. It was a long time ago and I didn't keep the records I keep now. Did you get the joint screw out yet?

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I could remember the exact details. I remember removing the joint. It was a long time ago and I didn't keep the records I keep now. Did you get the joint screw out yet?

No. I have a feeling I’m not getting heat through to the bottom of the joint screw.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning

Is this what you’re talking about?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 181

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure this pin could have had nothing and still give me trouble. I’ve heard on more than one occasion that Schon uses slow cure epoxy on their pins.

I run length wise grooves for glue relief but they also lock the pin. I would dare say most of us use slow curing epoxy. :) Not that much of a problem removing.

Mario

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be messing with the cue's integrity by then . And disasters can happen when drilling the handle.

You're already messing with the balance by a lot without that bolt.

By removing the weight bolt will, or will not affect the cue's integrity?

Eddie