CTE Does NOT Work - It Did For One Pro

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can watch her in matches on youtube....she looks like a ghostball user or contact point user, the way she looks at a shot from ob first. And in the Allison Fisher interview Gerda says she just sees the line the cb needs to travel and then aligns to that.

You guys can believe whatever you wanna believe. But the most likely reason she won that tournament is simply because her mind was right, not because she abandoned her championship method of aiming the balls, the same method that won her a straight pool tournament just 3 months earlier, which does involve aiming. And that's not saying Stan didn't help her in some other aspect of her game.

i picked up stans system fairly easily off the first cd ... after years of using the system i can just see the shot and the lane i need to be in without much thought, i still miss shots ... i think a pro player will take part(s) of pro1 and apply it to there own way of aiming,etc ... my point is you cant tell much from a youtube video and just because she doesznt mention stan doesnt mean anything either

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that's why it's pointless to argue. My mistake is thinking that there could actually some civil back and forth, as long as it didn't involve the actual steps or working of CTE. That's why I don't challenge or question or share my thoughts and experience with the system anymore. Apparently I should also not question or challenge silly implications or insinuations about champion players when it comes to the use of CTE.
Lesson learned. I'm a good learner. Eventually, after enough lessons, I'll know exactly what or who I am permitted to question or challenge without causing a bunch of unnecessary drama.<====you cannot resist doing it
Nope, you're not a 'good learner' and you WILL do it again. You have very little willpower to resist the compulsion.
And on top of that, Dan White will not LET YOU avoid it. You're all in with his little club and he calls the shots. He is in charge of this forum and he will no longer be your telephone friend, push your book, or pat you on the back,... if you do not comply with and follow his orders.
And you will keep doing it on and on and on, long after Dan White finds a way to get me thrown out of here. This is a stacked deck and he is in control.
And that's the name of that tune...play it on your guitar, play it on your piano, on your drums, write it in your next edition of Poolology or just put it in your pipe and smoke it.. It will happen.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
i picked up stans system fairly easily off the first cd ... after years of using the system i can just see the shot and the lane i need to be in without much thought, i still miss shots ... i think a pro player will take part(s) of pro1 and apply it to there own way of aiming,etc ... my point is you cant tell much from a youtube video and just because she doesznt mention stan doesnt mean anything either

All good points. What you describe is exactly like fractional aiming or ghostball or anything else....after a while you just recognizing the shots, know where to align, and know how to shoot them.

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good points. What you describe is exactly like fractional aiming or ghostball or anything else....after a while you just recognizing the shots, know where to align, and know how to shoot them.

im not sure about the comparison or point you are trying to make, how is it exactly like ghostball or fractional aiming, explain

do you mean the end result?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
im not sure about the comparison or point you are trying to make, how is it exactly like ghostball or fractional aiming, explain

do you mean the end result?

Yes, the end result, the intuitive feeling that your body and stroke are aligned properly in accordance with what your eyes are seeing, because you've seen and done it so often that it is more of a subconscious process now, though orchestrated by conscious visual inputs.

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the end result, the intuitive feeling that your body and stroke are aligned properly in accordance with what your eyes are seeing, because you've seen and done it so often that it is more of a subconscious process now, though orchestrated by conscious visual inputs.

well with pro1 you always have the alignments and the system engraved in your mind and are aware of it from shot to shot and it's easy to slide back into the systems basics if you're struggling,etc if need be ... with those other techniques you brought up, if you're struggling for whatever reason you're in trouble, imo

And yes there are lots aiming methods out there that will help ...

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
well with pro1 you always have the alignments and the system engraved in your mind and are aware of it from shot to shot and it's easy to slide back into the systems basics if you're struggling,etc if need be ... with those other techniques you brought up, if you're struggling for whatever reason you're in trouble, imo

And yes there are lots aiming methods out there that will help ...

I agree that many traditional aiming methods don't have a good fall back mode. But that's typically how it is with hand-eye coordination skills that require rote. The steps used to secure the process into memory eventually take a back seat once you've developed the skill. Research shows that an athlete's best performance occurs with very little concious control.

With pool, however, I understand what you're saying about the system you use, because I also have a good system to ensure my intuition is correct. But, as I'm sure you experience yourself, sometimes we think we're dead on and we're not, so it's a good habit to incorporate any system or method that can help ensure you're dialed into each shot every time. But the final determination of whether or not the body and stroke are aligned properly to what we see is still primarily a subconscious/intuitive process, where we think, "Yes, this looks right", or "this feels right".

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... with those other techniques you brought up, if you're struggling for whatever reason you're in trouble, imo
According to CTE users here, if you haven't mastered "those other techniques" you can't have a valid opinion about them.

Sorry, not my rule...

pj <- don't shoot the messenger
chgo

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Only a couple of kids of pro golfers ever made it into the pros but never as good as their pappy.

Sons of golf pros who had a more successful playing career than their fathers:

Davis Love III
David Duval
Jackie Burke Jr.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
And that's the name of that tune...play it on your guitar, play it on your piano, on your drums, write it in your next edition of Poolology or just put it in your pipe and smoke it.. It will happen.

You forgot banjo and violin. Well, we can forget violin, never put enough time into it to get real good at it. That is one instrument that I found to be very difficult to play, that and harmonica. I can make either one sound pretty good for minute or so, but that's because I have a good musical ear. Any real violinist or harp player would say, "Is that it? Is that all you got?" And I'd have to say yes. :eek:

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to CTE users here, if you haven't mastered "those other techniques" you can't have a valid opinion about them.

Sorry, not my rule...

pj <- don't shoot the messenger

chgo

its kinda obvious that there is trolling going on here from both sides, it's been going on for a decade or so, you know that lol

So what's your opinion on the cte pro1 system PJ? Do you feel you're informed enough now to give an honest unbiased opinion or?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Sons of golf pros who had a more successful playing career than their fathers:

Davis Love III
David Duval
Jackie Burke Jr.

Good list. I forgot about Davis Love III. Didn't know David Duval's father was a pro.

I thought of another one...Justin Thomas. His father was never on tour but he's been a PGA Club Professional his whole life. Bob Tway's son isn't as good as pappy but still on tour.

Any top pool player ever have a son that played pro level? Oscar Dominguez?

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...what's your opinion on the cte pro1 system PJ?
I have no experience with it (and no interest in getting any), but from what I've heard:

It's clearly workable (its users say so) but also over-complicated and fantastically advertised (maybe good qualities for its users).

pj
chgo

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I don't think he need to find a way. You are doing a fine job of accomplishing that all on your own.

Mike

And you will keep doing it on and on and on, long after Dan White finds a way to get me thrown out of here.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Any top pool player ever have a son that played pro level? Oscar Dominguez?

Hmm; good question. Other than Ernesto and Oscar? We might include Landon and Stan. Lots of players had fathers who owned rooms and played well, but in terms of both having high finishes in pro tournaments ........... any others?

In billiards, we had Jake Schaefer Sr. and Jr.

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no experience with it (and no interest in getting any), but from what I've heard:

It's clearly workable (its users say so) but also over-complicated and fantastically advertised (maybe good qualities for its users).

pj
chgo

I'm a big hockey fan and pretty knowledgeable, I used to read and see these terrible tweets/posts by hockey analytics bloggers/people which I knew were bad and annoying to read and if you questioned them you were brushed off cause they were stat guys, etc ..so the only way I could debate these guys was to learn as much as they knew about hockey analytics, which I did and I quickly learned all the flaws in hockey analytics and quieted a lot of people ....