Meucci Olympian value

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we have our own way of selling- some like $1 starting bid, no reserve- go with the market approach; some prefer to do their homework and price a cue at a reasonable current value and offer it at that price; and some like to put a very high price outside of reasonable estimates and hope for that one fool to bid or get someone to make an offer based on a ridiculous "buy it now" bait. Looks like this person chose to ignore all our answers and go with #3 selling process- Good Luck!

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were a Meucci Original with two original unplayed shafts with a real ebony forearm/butt it would command that price listed on eBay but I'm afraid not this one. I'm not really big on signed cues...I don't care who's signature it is.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Power-Piston. Plastic sleeve over a wood core. Bob's explanation: https://articlesurfing.org/recreation_and_sports/why_a_meucci_power_piston.html

Now listen here you ignorant stiffs, this is why it will bring in the big bucks per Bob Meucci's Power Piston of a mouth:

For those of you that do not know, a Power Piston refers to a combination of the Black Dot Bullseye shaft, but more importantly, a specific technology built into the butt section. This area of the cue is a thin sleeve of high-impact plastic material over a maple dowel.

What this sleeve does for the player is to enhance the performance in two ways:

1) More power with less effort. This power being demonstrated by either more forward motion velocity, English velocity when using side, or a combination of the two.

2) The second thing that the power piston does for you the player is that it reduces the deflection of the cue ball (not to be confused with shaft deflection) even more than all other Meucci cues by 7-10%. This may not seem like a very large number to an amateur player, however, when you consider in the game of nine ball, one ball being 11% of the balls that need to be pocketed, it clarifies just how important that advantage can be.

What exactly happens when the cue ball is struck with a Black Dot Bullseye shaft with a Power Piston butt? Simply put, more compression of the pool cue at impact. To fully explain how the human arm, when swinging its arch to strike a ball, is only capable of a limited amount of speed and power. Therefore the cue design, in order to gain any advantage, must be balanced to that speed when the cue ball is struck. In other words, when the cue ball is struck, the cue then begins to compress for shortening the overall length of the cue, loading the cue with additional power that will be added to the stroke that you've put on the ball when the loaded cue releases. All of this happens in a mere .140 inches (one hundred and forty thousands of an inch!). That .140 of the inch that I've referred to is the total distance that the cue ball travels from the first impact of the tip until the cue ball leaves the tip. So the job of the cue maker is obviously one that has to be measured precisely to achieve this amazing advantage, and he must also take into consideration the weight of the cue ball.

This article has become fairly technical, and I hope that it is sufficiently understandable to those of you who care to know just what the advantage of having a Meucci Power Piston is.

Now this science is maybe from Narnia, but you think the cutting edge techology of PLASTIC over a wood core comes cheap? Pure butt deflection without the need for cumbersome ass weights....finally!

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now listen here you ignorant stiffs, this is why it will bring in the big bucks per Bob Meucci's Power Piston of a mouth:

For those of you that do not know, a Power Piston refers to a combination of the Black Dot Bullseye shaft, but more importantly, a specific technology built into the butt section. This area of the cue is a thin sleeve of high-impact plastic material over a maple dowel.

What this sleeve does for the player is to enhance the performance in two ways:

1) More power with less effort. This power being demonstrated by either more forward motion velocity, English velocity when using side, or a combination of the two.

2) The second thing that the power piston does for you the player is that it reduces the deflection of the cue ball (not to be confused with shaft deflection) even more than all other Meucci cues by 7-10%. This may not seem like a very large number to an amateur player, however, when you consider in the game of nine ball, one ball being 11% of the balls that need to be pocketed, it clarifies just how important that advantage can be.

What exactly happens when the cue ball is struck with a Black Dot Bullseye shaft with a Power Piston butt? Simply put, more compression of the pool cue at impact. To fully explain how the human arm, when swinging its arch to strike a ball, is only capable of a limited amount of speed and power. Therefore the cue design, in order to gain any advantage, must be balanced to that speed when the cue ball is struck. In other words, when the cue ball is struck, the cue then begins to compress for shortening the overall length of the cue, loading the cue with additional power that will be added to the stroke that you've put on the ball when the loaded cue releases. All of this happens in a mere .140 inches (one hundred and forty thousands of an inch!). That .140 of the inch that I've referred to is the total distance that the cue ball travels from the first impact of the tip until the cue ball leaves the tip. So the job of the cue maker is obviously one that has to be measured precisely to achieve this amazing advantage, and he must also take into consideration the weight of the cue ball.

This article has become fairly technical, and I hope that it is sufficiently understandable to those of you who care to know just what the advantage of having a Meucci Power Piston is.

Now this science is maybe from Narnia, but you think the cutting edge techology of PLASTIC over a wood core comes cheap? Pure butt deflection without the need for cumbersome ass weights....finally!
Just imagine what a PP butt combined with a carbon shaft must be like. "Drive the ball 10 rails, today" ;)

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
muahaha,

but this Olympian cue is a beauty, without shannons gekritzel even more.

I love this olympian style by mr. Meucci in general!!!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I really don't want to badmouth the design because it is one of the iconic Meucci's, but I recall an old Original that needed a refinish because the clear was yellow. Turned out it was the plastic that had yellowed. In the refinish, the lines in the columns disappeared because they are just printed on. They called it "scrimshawed" but I never saw any scrim like that. It was left yellow and fixed with a sharpie and sold.

This is a cue for Meucci collectors and worth a bit more because it has Bob's signature, is discontinued and it's in great shape. I think he'll get an offer of somewhere around $900 to $1000 but some people here who are now more active buying and selling than I am don't seem to think so. There are a lot of Meucci fans still out there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of you who weren't around in Meucci's heyday, I will let you in on something. His wholesale price to dealers was a flat 50% off retail. So a cue that he was selling at a tournament for say $600, a dealer could buy for $300. Now you might ask who was a dealer and how many cues they had to buy. The short answer was EVERYBODY could get that deal for cash! And they only had to buy one cue! :grin:

So whatever price you see a new Meucci cue listed at, you can automatically cut in half to see the "real" price. Boom!

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
I really don't want to badmouth the design because it is one of the iconic Meucci's, but I recall an old Original that needed a refinish because the clear was yellow. Turned out it was the plastic that had yellowed. In the refinish, the lines in the columns disappeared because they are just printed on. They called it "scrimshawed" but I never saw any scrim like that. It was left yellow and fixed with a sharpie and sold.

This is a cue for Meucci collectors and worth a bit more because it has Bob's signature, is discontinued and it's in great shape. I think he'll get an offer of somewhere around $900 to $1000 but some people here who are now more active buying and selling than I am don't seem to think so. There are a lot of Meucci fans still out there.

tap,tap,tap...:thumbup2:
like this posting and yes i am a little big meucci fan because some designs are my thing...jr3,dh3,21-3,pp3,ms5,jr7,taj mahal and 84-3, 84-6,piano,locksmith,bmc white crusher,diamond cue,bmc pro series5 to name a few not to forget the tomahawk with the feathers and the most beautiful the st-3!!!:D:wink::wink: