1992 US Open 9 Ball Championships - Johnny ARCHER vs. Tommy KENNEDY

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is one of the most memorable matches in the history of our sport. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this "HD" version, you can tell that Johnny's shirt is very busy. Gotta love that early 90's "style".

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Kennedy, is a pool instructors nightmare! With what looks like the worst pool stroke and mechanics in pro billiard history, at times, he has demonstrated the best pure shotmaking I have ever witnessed. If you think Alan Hopkins had a pokey stroke- I think that Tommy beats him! Half the time Tommy looks like he is jumping way up on the shot- look at some of his u tube videos, but his shotmaking is just unbelievable.I never saw him when he gambled, but I imagine he was someone any pro would be concerned when the money was on the line- he could really come with a shot.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Kennedy, is a pool instructors nightmare! With what looks like the worst pool stroke and mechanics in pro billiard history, at times, he has demonstrated the best pure shotmaking I have ever witnessed. If you think Alan Hopkins had a pokey stroke- I think that Tommy beats him! Half the time Tommy looks like he is jumping way up on the shot- look at some of his u tube videos, but his shotmaking is just unbelievable.I never saw him when he gambled, but I imagine he was someone any pro would be concerned when the money was on the line- he could really come with a shot.

unorthodox for sure. a lot of players back then was kind of jumpy imo. you don't see much weird strokes nowadays, mike davis comes to mind though. but he has a consistent hit in his weird stroke. oliver ortmann is another one that is hard for me to watch

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
He has a punch stroke with very little draw back...I just watched a series of videos from Stan Shuffet that he put up on YouTube that address some possible advantages of using a punch stroke over the traditional follow through. He advocates having both in your tool box (he likes the punch stroke for finesse, the traditional for moving the cue ball). Can be a controversial topic, I know, but worth a watch. I followed along on my table last night and it was an eye-opener for me.

IIRC, Tommy Kennedy was considered pretty much an unknown amateur at the time, which made his win all the more incredible...I know, he was known to a few, but to most of us, he was just some guy. I love watching him play, and hope he gets back on the table again soon!

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
How could anyone not like Tommy..... :shrug:
World Class person all the way. Get well T

middleofnowhere

Registered
He has a punch stroke with very little draw back...I just watched a series of videos from Stan Shuffet that he put up on YouTube that address some possible advantages of using a punch stroke over the traditional follow through. He advocates having both in your tool box (he likes the punch stroke for finesse, the traditional for moving the cue ball). Can be a controversial topic, I know, but worth a watch. I followed along on my table last night and it was an eye-opener for me.

IIRC, Tommy Kennedy was considered pretty much an unknown amateur at the time, which made his win all the more incredible...I know, he was known to a few, but to most of us, he was just some guy. I love watching him play, and hope he gets back on the table again soon!
actually he was not unknown. In Florida he was winning everything. It was amazing, he won like every other tournament against many of the same players in the US Open. Miz Parica, Siegel, Little David and a host of players. The video you see from Accu-stats is different from the ESPN broadcast with Siegel doing the commentating. He goes on and on how good Tommy is. By the way he was about 3 or 4 years older the Archer and not exactly a kid regardless how young he looked. Also, if I remember right, just the previous week before the US Open Tommy beat Miz. in the final at Boca Billiards.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years before this win Tommy would come to Clearwater to play the owner of the room where I worked. They would race to 150 in straight pool for cheap, usually just $100 or so as practice sets. They were both 100 ball runners so it was a pleasure to watch and learn. Because our room was blessed/cursed with one of the, if not the biggest go off gamblers in the SE we would have a constant endless supply of road runners trying to play position to get their share. Usually these clowns were complete asshats so it was nice to see a gentleman when Tommy came to play.

His playing style really reminded me of the way Keith McCready plays, using what I call, "body english" on many of his shots.

He seems like such a likeable guy though. I can see why the crowd was rooting for him to win. Always smiling.

I read somewhere that he never gambled, because he is a Christian.

middleofnowhere

Registered
His playing style really reminded me of the way Keith McCready plays, using what I call, "body english" on many of his shots.

He seems like such a likeable guy though. I can see why the crowd was rooting for him to win. Always smiling.

I read somewhere that he never gambled, because he is a Christian.

deleted irrelevant

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Was there, made my last five bets on TKO from FLA, Cardone booked all matches then. TKO from FLA, picked his pocket that day. TK might of made 2 errors thee entire match. He kicked balls that day....lights out.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy would swing through tally and play the breaktime tournaments. Pretty strong fields as well with Archer and all the southeastern road runners. I remember Tommy winning at least one with several top 5’s. I think he beat this snooker guy from Canada in the final. Maybe named Joe Lawrence?? We called him the electrician because he kept going to the bathroom to get wired. Tommy just smiled and waited patiently. Then shot lights out.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Tommy would swing through tally and play the breaktime tournaments. Pretty strong fields as well with Archer and all the southeastern road runners. I remember Tommy winning at least one with several top 5’s. I think he beat this snooker guy from Canada in the final. Maybe named Joe Lawrence?? We called him the electrician because he kept going to the bathroom to get wired. Tommy just smiled and waited patiently. Then shot lights out.

''No Rattle''