Great Bugs shot..................

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Brilliant shot. I saw Bugs play many years ago, but it was at banks, not one pocket. He was a very special talent in his prime.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I love the shots like this where your spin reverses off the second rail, very cool shot here!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great shot !
I saw bugs in the early 1970’ s playing earl heisler $500 onepocket at the sports palace in New Orleans
Didn’t know who he was just another player coming to play earl
I don’t remember who won but I do remember some amazing banks by bugs
Many years later (1990’s )there was A legends of the road series of articles in billiard digest
One was on Leonard bugs Rucker
Jogged my memory of that match I watched
Never knew he was one of the best bankers ever and one of the top players in the country when I saw him play

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
At that speed, if the ball misses (without rattling) it's going to go back down table and maybe for a 1 rail for your opponent.

It's a great shot, but not something I would want to shoot for the cash unless I absolutely know the OB was gonna go in... which is impossible. Cheap racks... sure... tournament or larger stakes, probably not.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Obviously an amazing and fun shot.

Would a top pro choose to shoot that shot today? is the risk-reward built into the shot or is it too risky? Missing it long could lead to a fairly safe 4 railer tracking pattern, but that is a lot of green to control the speed. The speed and missed angle could possibly lose the cueball and sell-out. I think most would just lag with pocket speed.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
At that speed, if the ball misses (without rattling) it's going to go back down table and maybe for a 1 rail for your opponent.

It's a great shot, but not something I would want to shoot for the cash unless I absolutely know the OB was gonna go in... which is impossible. Cheap racks... sure... tournament or larger stakes, probably not.

beat me to the post! :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Obviously an amazing and fun shot.

Would a top pro choose to shoot that shot today? is the risk-reward built into the shot or is it too risky? Missing it long could lead to a fairly safe 4 railer tracking pattern, but that is a lot of green to control the speed. The speed and missed angle could possibly lose the cueball and sell-out. I think most would just lag with pocket speed.

Bugs % make was higher than most everyone else
In that $500 match in 1970 ish
I saw bugs hit a 4 railer and leave the cue ball where earl had a shot if he missed
It split the wicket and bugs ran out......:eek::eek:
My point is he would play shots like that because he knew he would make it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw bugs hit a 4 railer and leave the cue ball where earl had a shot if he missed
Tend to agree here. I heard Freddie the Beard talking about Bugs once. He said that he'd whack in shots like these on a fairly regular basis. Supremely confident player and he knew that making them tended to mentally jar his opponent.

jane477

I think that with so much practice he could get to the table blindfolded and still win

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Need two?? Just do this to 'em: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCi4bIIpZaE Pretty sporty

This was from a much longer video or several video's of Bugs on banks that was on youtube for free. Don't know if they are still up or not. Granted they don't have to hit first time every time making video but watching the narrow angles Bugs banked balls into the side pockets was amazing!

I never try to say if a person played the right shot or not. Only the person behind the stick knows how they feel about a certain shot. If it feels right at the moment, shoot.

Hu

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was from a much longer video or several video's of Bugs on banks that was on youtube for free. Don't know if they are still up or not. Granted they don't have to hit first time every time making video but watching the narrow angles Bugs banked balls into the side pockets was amazing!

I never try to say if a person played the right shot or not. Only the person behind the stick knows how they feel about a certain shot. If it feels right at the moment, shoot.

Hu

Here ya go
https://youtu.be/BAlRHRJidaM