Loose Grip/Tight Grip and Resulting Cueball Action

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One tool away from greatness!

The usual way that people demonstrate different amounts of side spin is to shoot straight into a rail and see how much to the left or right the ball goes (measured in angle or diamonds).

How much follow or draw you get you can see simply by shooting a full draw or follow shot on a nearby ball.

It is usually best to stick with what happens on the table and do your measurements in diamonds.

As for whether detailed info about the physics of the situation is worth anything, I think in this case it's mostly useful to tell you what not to do. Don't fret over whether a loose or tight grip might give you more action, because in themselves they do nothing for the shot. I suggest that you should use the grip that gives you the most consistency.

Lots of players obsess about getting more spin and hope a new tip or a new shaft or a new grip or a new placement of their back foot is going to help them. Most players who get only paltry spin fail because they do not hit far enough from center.

Wood turners say "one tool away from greatness" but they are too well aware they are being tongue in cheek or sarcastic. If only it was so easy! Can't buy your way to greatness or great play but people never quit trying!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Unless we have had fomal instruction, I suspect we all employ a shooting form which developed naturally and was influenced only by comments in "pool hall school". I always heard a lot of discussion about "stroke" but never "grip". "Follow through" also garnered a great deal of instruction. At some point, many years ago, I got my hands on a book about pool which contained a discussion about gripping the cue with two, or three, fingers (the "V" grip?) which I attempted but gave up on because it never felt right and absorbed too much of my conscious thought. Ultimately, to shoot my best, I need to be in the "zone" and anything that intrudes or disrupts is counterproductive.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watch the cue. I taught my stroke "linear" . It's easy to remember and takes far less heartache than customizing your stroke for transient conditions.

Pubo

The usual way that people demonstrate different amounts of side spin is to shoot straight into a rail and see how much to the left or right the ball goes (measured in angle or diamonds).

How much follow or draw you get you can see simply by shooting a full draw or follow shot on a nearby ball.

It is usually best to stick with what happens on the table and do your measurements in diamonds.

As for whether detailed info about the physics of the situation is worth anything, I think in this case it's mostly useful to tell you what not to do. Don't fret over whether a loose or tight grip might give you more action, because in themselves they do nothing for the shot. I suggest that you should use the grip that gives you the most consistency.

Lots of players obsess about getting more spin and hope a new tip or a new shaft or a new grip or a new placement of their back foot is going to help them. Most players who get only paltry spin fail because they do not hit far enough from center.
Hi Bob, sorry for digging up this old post lol, but this effective weight of the cue is constantly bugging me. I read all your and Dr.Dave's comments/articles in this post, and what I don't understand is, what is the criterion for determining if the weight of the hand is involved in the impact or not? How do we know that the normal grip adds 1% of effective weight to the cue? What is the reasoning behind this? So far my own explanation is that the palm is very flexible, so during the tip-ball impact, the cue slides on the palm as if there is no hand: the skin effectively serves as a lubricant between the hand and the cue. Therefore the hand doesn't participate in the collision at all (in practical sense). Does my explanation make sense? Or did I misunderstand something?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
,,, what is the criterion for determining if the weight of the hand is involved in the impact or not? How do we know that the normal grip adds 1% of effective weight to the cue? ...
If you study the speed vs. time curve of the cue stick, you can derive the spring constants for both tip-ball contact and the hand-cue contact. That leads to the effective mass increase of the cue stick due to the contribution of the hand.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
In plain English!

The players that use more of their wrists give more rotation to the cue as it is swung back and forth. You may want to use a finger grip when applying maximum effect to the cue ball, (the cue ball maintains spin on 3 or more cushions.)

Just at the point before contacting the cue ball, the player will have better rhythm and timing in their delivery of their cue. It's at that split second when the wrist breaks, just before contacting the cue ball. This is the main reason why some players are able to create more effect on the cue ball than other players; fortunately, I've been one of those players that possesses this attribute.

The simple move​

Most average players are looking for some magical move to make just before they strike the cue ball, well; I'm here to tell you, there isn't one. It's the simple opening of the hand on the cue when swinging the cue back, and when the cue swings forward closing the hand around the cue with all fingers.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Bob, sorry for digging up this old post lol, but this effective weight of the cue is constantly bugging me. I read all your and Dr.Dave's comments/articles in this post, and what I don't understand is, what is the criterion for determining if the weight of the hand is involved in the impact or not? How do we know that the normal grip adds 1% of effective weight to the cue? What is the reasoning behind this? So far my own explanation is that the palm is very flexible, so during the tip-ball impact, the cue slides on the palm as if there is no hand: the skin effectively serves as a lubricant between the hand and the cue. Therefore the hand doesn't participate in the collision at all (in practical sense). Does my explanation make sense? Or did I misunderstand something?

I think the video link and explanations on the grip tightness effects resource page explain it fairly well. FYI, I expanded the description a little today. As Bob points out, because the grip hand flesh is so much more flexible than the tip, the CB is gone before the grip feels anything from the CB impact, so it can't contribute much to the mass of the cue during the collision.

Last edited:

Pubo

If you study the speed vs. time curve of the cue stick, you can derive the spring constants for both tip-ball contact and the hand-cue contact. That leads to the effective mass increase of the cue stick due to the contribution of the hand.
Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciate it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the video link and explanations on the grip tightness effects resource page explain it fairly well. FYI, I expanded the description a little today. As Bob points out, because the grip hand flesh is so much more flexible than the tip, the CB is gone before the grip feels anything from the CB impact, so it can't contribute much to the mass of the cue during the collision.

Now, if the grip were rigidly attached to the cue (which is not the case with a human shooter), the mass of the hand and arm would certainly contribute to the effective mass of the cue. This is actually a problem when attempting to design cue testing machines. It is very important to isolate the machine from the cue with a human-like flexible "grip hand." For more info, see the "problem with a non-human, extremely-firm robot grip" paragraph here:

Last edited:
Greatest stroke ever.....Cowboy Jimmy Moore, it was like his whole arm was running on ball bearings. Only saw him as an old man, but the first time I saw him play I thought, this guy has played a LOT of pool and that stroke is amazing, like a teen ager.

891014+1

None is better over the other... Pinois play loose grip, Filler plays tight grip...do you know what i mean?
Snooker players (best technic available) play loose grip at back stroke and tight grip at follow through, so... One needs to practice enough until understand what suits naturally better.

Badpenguin

This is what I've always considered the "slip stroke". You let the cue slip through your grip on the forward swing, right before contact with the cue ball. The end result is that you are throwing the cue through the cue ball. This business of releasing the cue during the back stroke is more of a preshot routine in my opinion, similar to when people spin their cue while between practice strokes.

In my younger days, when I could play for 6 to 20 hours of pool per day every day and had no real life otherwise, I used this stroke. It was particularly good for long range power draw shots. I believe that it worked well for power strokes because when gripping "normally", it was common for me to tighten my grip right before contact with the cue ball, which lowers where the tip hits, causing scoops. Either that or lowering the elbow, which raises the tip, lessening the draw. If you are throwing the cue tip into the cue ball, it is difficult for the back swing or a tightening grip to interfere. But for me, using that stroke and being good with it required hours and hours of playing daily. I don't even try it any more.