Meucci Olympian value

Afrevele

Registered
Know this probably has been done before but...
Looking for a value for this stick. It is in immaculate condition. Both shafts look like they’ve only been hit a few times. The stick is signed by Shannon “The Cannon” Daulton and Robert Meucci. Not sure what the #5 is after his name? Thoughts?
Any insight on value would be appreciated!
A94C67E4-2E1F-4D8E-8FA4-CE7B9CCA1A6D.jpg

7F2D2F1D-9715-48C6-91CC-1D7D5F6D324B.jpg

EF613755-2251-4BF6-BE8E-D5DBD02F8563.jpg

9087D400-BE4D-4F55-B5F4-D8860935100C.jpg

3849A28E-C22A-4602-AC2E-567BBDC9C81D.jpg

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice cue, I’m not good at evaluating cues, but I did not know that Shannon the cannon played with a Meucci, this shocked me a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add to that pro players signatures add little to no value to the cue (unless it's somebody like Mosconi). Meucci's sig is worth more than Shannon's, if either are worth anything at all.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Very nice cue, I’m not good at evaluating cues, but I did not know that Shannon the cannon played with a Meucci, this shocked me a bit.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

iirc he did, for a while

The black dot shafts are a liability

i sold a very nice example made in the late 80's, with custom "stiff" shafts, to a very good local player for $400 shortly after it left the Olive Branch factory making this cue worth 600+- (imo). the sigs don't add value

assuming the forearm/butt sleeve are ebony and not "something else"

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iirc he did, for a while

The black dot shafts are a liability

i sold a very nice example made in the late 80's, with custom "stiff" shafts, to a very good local player for $400 shortly after it left the Olive Branch factory making this cue worth 600+- (imo). the sigs don't add value

assuming the forearm/butt sleeve are ebony and not "something else"

What you mean about when you said the forearm must be ebony and not something else? What can it be other than ebony or a wood, what something else can it be

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
We have several collectors like Will Prout, I would ask for their honest opinions. I think you have a nice conversation piece.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
What you mean about when you said the forearm must be ebony and not something else? What can it be other than ebony or a wood, what something else can it be

They dyed maple many colors, don't know if this is applicable to this model

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
No exotic tree was endangered in the making of this cue!

I don't think it affects the value ( I would say around $1000 give or take) , but according to this it's black plastic over a maple core. A lot of Meucci's used plastic instead of ebony and they have for many years now. Here's from budget's description:

Forearm: Birdseye maple covered with black plastic with four ivory colored columns with intricate scrimshawed lines. Also long red veneer lines with brass encased red veneer flames on top.

Sleeve: Ivory colored white plastic butt sleeve with inlaid pearlized plastic ovals set in cocobolo circles with veneer circles and diamonds.

https://www.budgetcues.com/discontinued/meucci-pool-cue-97-31b.htm

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Around $500.-

That's what I was going to say. Having Shannon's signature is a plus but really doesn't add to the value, unless you're a big fan of his. Now if you had a letter from him saying he used that cue in winning X that would mean something and might add some value to it.

The Meucci #5 probably means this is the fifth cue in this style he made. He may have made dozens more afterward.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are looking for true market value on this cue- what it would sell for in an open market auction setting- so if you were to put the cue on ebay starting at $1 no reserve for a full 10 day auction over two full weekends : Fri night to a Monday night 10 days later- i would say you will probably realize more than $450 and less than $600. Of course, if you personally wanted or needed to get more money out of it, you could list on on a site like this (AZ) for an asking price of say $800 and hope that some collector really wants this cue and someday offers you a close to asking price- your choice.

Afrevele

Registered
Not sure I fully agree with the value stated here. A brand new 95-31 goes for ~$1200. So how is it that you are saying it’s worth half that? Don’t follow the logic? I understand that the maple forearm Meucci Original version is more desirable and hence valued more but Can’t see this one being so low. Please explain. I did confirm with Meucci that this was from a run they made for Shannon to sell. Not sure how many were in that run, probably 10 or so I’d imagine.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Not sure I fully agree with the value stated here. A brand new 95-31 goes for ~$1200. So how is it that you are saying it’s worth half that? Don’t follow the logic? I understand that the maple forearm Meucci Original version is more desirable and hence valued more but Can’t see this one being so low. Please explain. I did confirm with Meucci that this was from a run they made for Shannon to sell. Not sure how many were in that run, probably 10 or so I’d imagine.

It's a used pool cue.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the cue makes over $500 all day everyday, especially on eBay.

Shannon’s signature may not add value, but it definitely widens the pool of potential buyers.

I wouldn’t be a buyer for an ordinary Olympian, but as a fan of old-school one pocket, I would love to own your cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are looking for true market value on this cue- what it would sell for in an open market auction setting- so if you were to put the cue on ebay starting at $1 no reserve for a full 10 day auction over two full weekends : Fri night to a Monday night 10 days later- i would say you will probably realize more than $450 and less than $600. Of course, if you personally wanted or needed to get more money out of it, you could list on on a site like this (AZ) for an asking price of say $800 and hope that some collector really wants this cue and someday offers you a close to asking price- your choice.

Hey Man, people are responding to you based upon years of selling and buying cues on the open market; so that is the basis of my response above. It is only our opinions, you should maybe put it in an ebay auction and see what you get at the end, I bet it IS somewhere between $450 and $600- with a high of $800 if the circumstances all happen to come together for you in the auction.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

what do you think dealer COST is? i'd guess it's 30 to 50% of retail based on their performance and ability to negotiate

dealers have been known to sell at close to cost predicated on their economic, or lack thereof, health

older cues which featured more wood (that wasn't dyed) and less "something else" do better on the secondary market