Student preparation?.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as instructors what do you like to see from a student? do they need to bring anything? Notepad, list of goals, weakness's etc. what makes a great student before or during the lesson? Not after that's up to the student lol the reason I'm asking I'm about to take my newly humbled but to see a instructor lol if you're wondering it's Varner.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as instructors what do you like to see from a student? do they need to bring anything? Notepad, list of goals, weakness's etc. what makes a great student before or during the lesson? Not after that's up to the student lol the reason I'm asking I'm about to take my newly humbled but to see a instructor lol if you're wondering it's Varner.

Lucky you. Nick is intelligent, articulate, talented and a gentleman. After a quick assessment, Nick will know more about your game than you do. But a teacher's approach with a client can go in different directions, depending on what the goals of the client are. So it's important to say up front what your long range goals for yourself are. For example: If you want to improve just to be able to hold up better against your friends, he may not get too nit picky about certain aspects of your fundamentals. But if your long range goal is serious competition, then he may want to address some of those issues he might have otherwise let go.

Also, it's important to know the reason why you decided to seek out help. There must be some aspect of your game that's bothering you. It would help if you tell the instructor what that is. The instructor will be able to tell you if that can be addressed right away or if you will have to fix some preliminary issues before that.

Sure, bring a notebook, but don't get too caught up in writing every little thing down because you're liable to miss something important and maybe lose an opportunity to ask a question on the spot.

I jot down notes throughout the lesson and then follow up with an email of bullet points to my client afterwards. I don't like having my lessons recorded. Some instructors are okay with that but don't expect all of them to agree to it if you want to record it.

Lastly, ask questions, especially if you need clarifications on what the teacher is saying.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow, you will have a great time with Nick. I think you should bring a list of things you would like to have Nick explain.

Say hi to him from me.

randyg

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Fran, randy. being a student is harder than I thought! lol I want to maximize nicks time, and still cover self imposed trouble areas plus any new ones nick finds. And yet, give every thing the time it deserves to correct or adapt any changes. lol I can see it now once a month until.......well forever! Lol thanks again!!!!!

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a follow up, I had my lesson with nick. I had the time of my life!!!!! We spent just a few minutes on fundamentals ( he was happy with them ) fired in some dead straight ins on his small pocket 9ft gold crown. Then We went on to cover the common 1,2&3 rail paths with each getting reduced target zones. I can’t say how comfortable I was being there, it felt like we were old friends , I’m OFFICIALLY off the Hamb theory. Thanks AZ instructors for putting up with me all these years!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MVP...LOL! :thumbup: Told ya... Glad you enjoyed the lesson with Nick. Welcome to the fold!

BTW...I love it when a student comes prepared with a "list". We quickly go over it at the beginning, and then check things off at the conclusion of the lesson. Anything that wasn't covered will then be addressed. I can't remember the last time a student had something on their list that wasn't covered somewhere during the lesson! I like to be thorough!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I’m OFFICIALLY off the Hamb theory. Thanks AZ instructors for putting up with me all these years!

Last edited: