Congrats to the new European 14.1 Champs

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D.Alcaide won 125-3 in 3 innings, he played safe in the 1st and then ran 66 and 59 & out !

Nick van den Berg looked like the Favourite for the Title but Alcaide ran 90 & out on him in the semis...

J.Ouschan beat G.Hofstätter 75-19 in 11 innings.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alcaide also killed Feijen 125 - 0 with a 121 & out earlier !

Didn´t really know that he is such a strong 14.1 player though..

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member

He also ran 76 and out against Norwegian Malvin Bjelland, who was up 75-49 after a few innings.

Congratulations to both Jasmin and David, well deserved!!!

I really rooted for young Artem Koshovyy from Ukraine though, he is an awesome player and will definitely be a champ one day!!

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member

In the interview after the ceremony he said that he was really surprise to win it. That after he lost his first round match he was playing to adjust to the table for the 9 & 10 ball and that he even does'nt know the rules of straight pool! ;)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I have the same feelings sascha posted, I didn't know Alcaide can play that straight pool! His win is very well deserved, he battled through a very strong field. After that loss he bested Zion Zvi (well-known in the US), Niels Feijen (4 EC 14.1 titles in last 6 years), Stephan Cohen (a 2008 European 14.1 champ if I'm not wrong), John Blacklaw who beat Souquet, vd Berg and Koshevoy!
Players from ex-USSR (Stepanov and Koshevoy) could have performed better if they played straight pool regularly. They shoot great and they know patterns, but lack attention to details which is crucial in 14.1 as we know. Good example is Koshevoy in the semi against Huidji See, he was running out but stopped at 93 and then at 122! Bad secondary breaks, tiny errors giving big troubles. I wish they, Artem and Konstantin, had more practice in more tournaments. But they hardly play any straight pool apart from ECs.

I managed to record some matches, now I should figure out how to share them with you. They are flv files which definitely require some post-processing, and I'm lacking time to cope with that fast.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last yr Gerda beat Ouschan this yr it is Ouschan - Both are formidable for Austria - not surprised if Ouschan sweeps 10 ball 8 ball 9 ball - altho I don't think there has ever been a sweep in the EPC for men or women.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ortmann won all 3 titles 1 year,8-ball,9,ball and 14.1 and the next year Souquet took 4 titles including team championship. Also Jasmin won 3 titles one year...

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
... Stephan Cohen (a 2008 European 14.1 champ if I'm not wrong)

He was 9 ball european champion 2008. He get the bronze at straight pool in 2000 and silver in 2002.

But he won the 2009 unofficial "world straight pool championship".

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
He was 9 ball european champion 2008. He get the bronze at straight pool in 2000 and silver in 2002.

But he won the 2009 unofficial "world straight pool championship".
ah, too many facts to hold in my head :eek: I just remember Stephan won smth big in 14.1, and I didn't have time to check EPBF archive or smth else (like I usually do). Thanks for correction.