Rate this sharking

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this guy i knew 15 years ago and never liked/never considered a friend, starts trying to hustle a buddy of mine the other day. My friend texts me and says this guys looking for action and he thought that i would be down for some, without knowing that i already know this guy from a long time ago. This kid starts demanding i give him the 7 and out in 9 ball in a short race and all kinds of crazy stuff. I tell him i'll play him straight up, 8/9/10 ball in a race to 7 for 100-500, his choice. He again heckles me about giving him weight blah blah blah. Keep in mind, i haven't played this guy in 15 years..

He ends up showing up to the little inhouse 8 ball tournament that i don't play in, primarily due to the fact that its not fair to the regulars that play in it, mostly C players/5s. I had been there all day practicing and decided i would play just to size this guy up that was asking to play me with heavy weight. I won my four matches to play him in the hotseat and here's a list of the things that went down.

Before playing him, i played this guys friend who starts off by saying, if you win, don't expect me to shake your hand. After i ran two racks on this guy, i break dry and he makes a few balls and then sh*ts a ball in 4 rails to get accidentally perfect on his next shot. I ask him if this tournament is slop or call shot? Not condescendly/in the middle of his shot or anything disrespectful/sharking in nature. He slaps the whole table and gives me the game. I run the next rack and he throws a hissy fit. Side note: during this whole match, the guy who wants to play me for money, the friend of my current opponent, is hassling me/sharking me and literally telling me to quit this match and play him a set for $100 right now on this table. So that sh*t show match ended, beat one more good respectful player and on to the the hotseat match with this dude who wants crazy weight against me.

-Said he doesn't want to play on that table because i had been there when he got there.
-Complained the table is faster than the ones he was playing on and its not fair.
-Wants to rack his own, makes 5 balls on the break with a soft break and leaves mea cluster of four stripes while he made 3 solides and 2 stripes.
-After messing up his four ball easy out on the game where he cheesed the rack and hanging the 8 ball, he proceeds to say loudly "can't do that against this guy, hes gonna run the whole table. That's an easy out for him as an open player" blah blah blah constant blabbering during my difficult out with a hanging 8 ball next to a cluster of four balls with one of them dead on the rail 6 inches from his 8 ball.

-Next rack, i let him rack his own again because i want to see all of his little tricks. Keep in mind, this is a race to 3 in a weird in house tourney that pays out maybe double-triple your money to first and i was already in the hot seat match guaranteed 3rd (my money back). Basically just wanted to get a feel for what level of shady i was dealing with before playing for any real cheese.

-After he misses yet another out after making three balls on the break, as i get to shoot he starts talking about this complete non-sense. He said he heard i beat this known local player out of $40,000, placed 3rd at turning stone beating Jayson Shaw and just complete outlandish non-sense. He was pretty much constantly talking and saying outlandish things for a reaction from me, i presume.

Backstory on me, i am primarily a tournament player who plays in a few leagues to win trips and play a few decent local players. Cash games are typically only available with sketchy people around here who are likely to not pay or have the money at the time, so i usually avoid them. That being said, this was probably my third or fourth time being sharked but i've never been sharked on this level in such a low level tourney before. I've had a guy complain about my fargo in a tourney mid shot on the 8 ball when i was on the hill in a 9 ball tourney. Had someone say it was 3-2, not 4-2 in a 5-4 race. Guy literally made us go to the cameras and watch me win 4 games against him in the hot seat match of a $1000 added, 34 player 8 ball tourney. I've had somebody literally bump into me walking by me (a guy on the team i was playing against) and stuff of that nature, but this was a whole new experience to me.

Anyway, how do you deal with sharking? What's the worst you have been sharked? A few good players told me to act like they aren't even talking or doing anything. To not even acknowledge it and get them to start thinking about how you don't even care that they are sharking you. Basically, to just be silent the whole match and not play into their tactics. Same guy told me that the only reason people shark you is because they know they can't beat you straight up, so use that as a sign of weakness.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
So this guy i knew 15 years ago and never liked/never considered a friend, starts trying to hustle a buddy of mine the other day. My friend texts me and says this guys looking for action and he thought that i would be down for some, without knowing that i already know this guy from a long time ago. This kid starts demanding i give him the 7 and out in 9 ball in a short race and all kinds of crazy stuff. I tell him i'll play him straight up, 8/9/10 ball in a race to 7 for 100-500, his choice. He again heckles me about giving him weight blah blah blah. Keep in mind, i haven't played this guy in 15 years..

He ends up showing up to the little inhouse 8 ball tournament that i don't play in, primarily due to the fact that its not fair to the regulars that play in it, mostly C players/5s. I had been there all day practicing and decided i would play just to size this guy up that was asking to play me with heavy weight. I won my four matches to play him in the hotseat and here's a list of the things that went down.

Before playing him, i played this guys friend who starts off by saying, if you win, don't expect me to shake your hand. After i ran two racks on this guy, i break dry and he makes a few balls and then sh*ts a ball in 4 rails to get accidentally perfect on his next shot. I ask him if this tournament is slop or call shot? Not condescendly/in the middle of his shot or anything disrespectful/sharking in nature. He slaps the whole table and gives me the game. I run the next rack and he throws a hissy fit. Side note: during this whole match, the guy who wants to play me for money, the friend of my current opponent, is hassling me/sharking me and literally telling me to quit this match and play him a set for $100 right now on this table. So that sh*t show match ended, beat one more good respectful player and on to the the hotseat match with this dude who wants crazy weight against me.

-Said he doesn't want to play on that table because i had been there when he got there.
-Complained the table is faster than the ones he was playing on and its not fair.
-Wants to rack his own, makes 5 balls on the break with a soft break and leaves mea cluster of four stripes while he made 3 solides and 2 stripes.
-After messing up his four ball easy out on the game where he cheesed the rack and hanging the 8 ball, he proceeds to say loudly "can't do that against this guy, hes gonna run the whole table. That's an easy out for him as an open player" blah blah blah constant blabbering during my difficult out with a hanging 8 ball next to a cluster of four balls with one of them dead on the rail 6 inches from his 8 ball.

-Next rack, i let him rack his own again because i want to see all of his little tricks. Keep in mind, this is a race to 3 in a weird in house tourney that pays out maybe double-triple your money to first and i was already in the hot seat match guaranteed 3rd (my money back). Basically just wanted to get a feel for what level of shady i was dealing with before playing for any real cheese.

-After he misses yet another out after making three balls on the break, as i get to shoot he starts talking about this complete non-sense. He said he heard i beat this known local player out of $40,000, placed 3rd at turning stone beating Jayson Shaw and just complete outlandish non-sense. He was pretty much constantly talking and saying outlandish things for a reaction from me, i presume.

Backstory on me, i am primarily a tournament player who plays in a few leagues to win trips and play a few decent local players. Cash games are typically only available with sketchy people around here who are likely to not pay or have the money at the time, so i usually avoid them. That being said, this was probably my third or fourth time being sharked but i've never been sharked on this level in such a low level tourney before. I've had a guy complain about my fargo in a tourney mid shot on the 8 ball when i was on the hill in a 9 ball tourney. Had someone say it was 3-2, not 4-2 in a 5-4 race. Guy literally made us go to the cameras and watch me win 4 games against him in the hot seat match of a $1000 added, 34 player 8 ball tourney. I've had somebody literally bump into me walking by me (a guy on the team i was playing against) and stuff of that nature, but this was a whole new experience to me.

Anyway, how do you deal with sharking? What's the worst you have been sharked? A few good players told me to act like they aren't even talking or doing anything. To not even acknowledge it and get them to start thinking about how you don't even care that they are sharking you. Basically, to just be silent the whole match and not play into their tactics. Same guy told me that the only reason people shark you is because they know they can't beat you straight up, so use that as a sign of weakness.

Ignore it, without exception. Sometimes this is easier said than done but do it anyway. Win or lose ( gambling ), never play them again. If it was a tournament, then never gamble with them. Who needs the aggravation? There is a person in our room who is so monumentally aggravating to play that anyone who plays him is giving up at least a ball, maybe more, in weight for the aggravation factor alone. And, yeah, this guy will go off and has a thousand times but you have to ask yourself at some point, "Is this worth all this?". Most people would just say "No... it isn't." Life is too short.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignore it, without exception. Sometimes this is easier said than done but do it anyway. Win or lose ( gambling ), never play them again. If it was a tournament, then never gamble with them. Who needs the aggravation? There is a person in our room who is so monumentally aggravating to play that anyone who plays him is giving up at least a ball, maybe more, in weight for the aggravation factor alone. And, yeah, this guy will go off and has a thousand times but you have to ask yourself at some point, "Is this worth all this?". Most people would just say "No... it isn't." Life is too short.

Agreed. There's a few guys like that in practically every league/tourney. Makes people re-rack a thousand times, if global warming is acting up, he will have to take a five minute breather to get his head straight for his next shot, a person in a room full of 100 people coughed 30 feet away so he needs to reset his four minute pre shot routine etc.

This particular guy i would love to avoid, but he's calling me out and everyone in the pool hall wants me to beat him down, including the guy running the tournament. There's always going to be people sharking, so i want to play this guy to try and overcome it, you know? The aggravation definitely isn't worth it, but beating him while he sharks me? Priceless.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Agreed. There's a few guys like that in practically every league/tourney. Makes people re-rack a thousand times, if global warming is acting up, he will have to take a five minute breather to get his head straight for his next shot, a person in a room full of 100 people coughed 30 feet away so he needs to reset his four minute pre shot routine etc.

This particular guy i would love to avoid, but he's calling me out and everyone in the pool hall wants me to beat him down, including the guy running the tournament. There's always going to be people sharking, so i want to play this guy to try and overcome it, you know? The aggravation definitely isn't worth it, but beating him while he sharks me? Priceless.

Then play to your heart's content.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The advise you got was right. Apply it.

I have seen plenty of this type of thing, almost always
in league, not as much in tournaments. Sometimes in
tournaments or gambling when I’m out of town.

Just use it as motivation to give them a sweet beat down.
The better you can keep your cool, the better you will play.

JC

Coos Cues

If you have the best of it you just smile and take their money. If you don't you fake indignation and quit.

Pool gambling with nits 101

JC

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The advise you got was right. Apply it.

I have seen plenty of this type of thing, almost always
in league, not as much in tournaments. Sometimes in
tournaments or gambling when I’m out of town.

Just use it as motivation to give them a sweet beat down.
The better you can keep your cool, the better you will play.

Yeah, i think i played into his bs too much, wasn't ready for it at the moment. Unfortunately, the advise i got was a day after the sharking, as i wanted to focus on that weakness in my mental game after losing a straight race to a person i would probably give a 2-3 game spot to. I was going back and fourth with him and playing into it without knowing it. He wasn't flustered cause he was deliberately messing with me and not getting insulted but it felt like i was being bullied in high school, as i wasn't doing anything while he was shooting and was just trying to defend myself while it was my turn, which i realize now probably got me even more flustered and is exactly what he wanted. Lesson learned, going to try and be a rock next time. This guy is in town for another two months and i challenged him to a straight race. Not sure if he will even accept, cause everyone in the pool hall fortunately defended me to him, saying i would wreck him in a fair match. We will see though, will post the updates to the shark off conclusion if he has the stones to play me again.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, i think i played into his bs too much, wasn't ready for it at the moment. Unfortunately, the advise i got was a day after the sharking, as i wanted to focus on that weakness in my mental game after losing a straight race to a person i would probably give a 2-3 game spot to. I was going back and fourth with him and playing into it without knowing it. He wasn't flustered cause he was deliberately messing with me and not getting insulted but it felt like i was being bullied in high school, as i wasn't doing anything while he was shooting and was just trying to defend myself while it was my turn, which i realize now probably got me even more flustered and is exactly what he wanted. Lesson learned, going to try and be a rock next time. This guy is in town for another two months and i challenged him to a straight race. Not sure if he will even accept, cause everyone in the pool hall fortunately defended me to him, saying i would wreck him in a fair match. We will see though, will post the updates to the shark off conclusion if he has the stones to play me again.

Make him post up and enjoy the show. It’s a lot of fun
if you can learn to enjoy it.
That said, of all the people to gamble with,why play this piece of work?
If he asked me to play a set I would politely tell him when he learns to be
an adult and a good sport I would be happy to play. Until then, my answer will
always be no.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dealing with all that is the thing learned in a pool room when you're 15 years old.
Where have you been, pardner?
Start asking for a spot yourself...he will back up and idle. AND toughen up and ignore.
Otherwise you're going to get driven crazy.....:thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sharkers can't handle the return fire

Sharkers can't handle the return fire. When the other player was sharking I made a point of playing shape so that my body hid the shot. Then I would shoot and jerk my head around to look at them. Often they would jump out the chair screaming foul. "Really, what did I do?" Just hiding the shot over and over makes them very paranoid when they realize you are doing it deliberately. Alternate the head jerk with looking at them with a little grin and smirk as you walk to the next shot.

Nobody is more suspicious than somebody that is playing games besides the one on the table themselves. I find it to be very easy to get inside their heads. I don't have any pity on these guys so making them crazy is good fun!

Hu

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Headphones.

Put them on your pecker and tell him what you did.

Should work. I never tried it.

Bold strategy cotton, lets see if it pays off.

"Make him post up and enjoy the show. It’s a lot of fun
if you can learn to enjoy it.
That said, of all the people to gamble with,why play this piece of work?
If he asked me to play a set I would politely tell him when he learns to be
an adult and a good sport I would be happy to play. Until then, my answer will
always be no."

Its more of a pride thing at this point. I want this tool to know that he can't win straight up. This isn't a game for enjoyment or money when i'm playing him.

"Dealing with all that is the thing learned in a pool room when you're 15 years old.
Where have you been, pardner?
Start asking for a spot yourself...he will back up and idle. AND toughen up and ignore.
Otherwise you're going to get driven crazy....."

Well, i was fourteen when i started playing in an actual pool room. Played in tournaments weekly and a few cash games with some old fellers and never encountered anything like that sharking, so no, i wouldn't say that's the standard thing learned at about 15, pardner. I had more respect and etiquette at 14 than i am guessing you and people who need to shark do.

As for fighting fire with fire, not my style. I put my money where my mouth is in my pool game, not sharking someone who's sharking me.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you asked the guy whether the tournament was slop or call shot did you already know the answer?

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you asked the guy whether the tournament was slop or call shot did you already know the answer?

No, i did not. It's a tournament i have only played once before and i play in three different 8 ball leagues - two are call shot and one is slop. I wanted to know as it would have drastically altered that rack of 8 ball if it was call shot, which i had hoped it was. I asked him before he even lined up his next shot, as to not disturb him while shooting a ball.

"IMO, two choices.. ignore the nit, or beat him hands down, no spot, for the cheese."

I hope to do both of those. Beat him straight up and ignore him after.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Anytime you're getting needled, regardless of where or what you're doing, if you let it get to you and show it, you've lost. The blood has spilled like buckets in shark water. No matter what happens from there out, you've lost, even if you win the game.

Life is way too short to deal w a-holes.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime you're getting needled, regardless of where or what you're doing, if you let it get to you and show it, you've lost. The blood has spilled like buckets in shark water. No matter what happens from there out, you've lost, even if you win the game.

Life is way too short to deal w a-holes.

I think you're definitely right. Do you think its possible to overcome it in a different day with the same person? I want to say i can put it aside and play my game, but its hard to say knowing that i already fell for his shenanigans.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, i did not. It's a tournament i have only played once before and i play in three different 8 ball leagues - two are call shot and one is slop. I wanted to know as it would have drastically altered that rack of 8 ball if it was call shot, which i had hoped it was. I asked him before he even lined up his next shot, as to not disturb him while shooting a ball.

"IMO, two choices.. ignore the nit, or beat him hands down, no spot, for the cheese."

I hope to do both of those. Beat him straight up and ignore him after.

Perhaps a better time to asked whether it was call shot or slop was before the match started - like when you entered the tournament.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps a better time to asked whether it was call shot or slop was before the match started - like when you entered the tournament.

True, but remember, this match was against another fellow, not the guy sharking me. That was in the match with the guy who opened up our match by saying, "If you win, don't expect me to shake your hand." The friend of the guy who sharked me. My friend later told me that the guy i beat was told by the guy who sharked me that i was talking sh*t and that made him come into my match already disliking me and waiting to mess with me.

Also, this tournament is very informal. Its an old guy with a piece of paper, handicaps pulled out of his butt and matches based on who he wants to see play for a grand prize of maybe double-triple your money back - 20-30 dollars. There isn't exactly a briefing like a normal tournament, ie: call shot, married to the break, scratch on the 8 is a loss etc. If genuinely inquiring about a rule that makes or breaks a game is sharking, then what would you call what they did to me?