How much chalk

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I really like the Predator chalk. You can go 5 or 6 shots between applying chalk, consistently; but, it stains the cue ball.

Most of the time I just use Master or Brunswick chalk, but I enjoy using Predator chalk too. Just be prepared to clean the cue ball every rack or two.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After going back and reading some posts, I have to wonder why anyone would choose to use a chalk that obviously sticks to the cb, felt, rails and even shafts like glue, when there are modern chalks that stick to the tips very well but, at the same time, won't stick to the cueball or object ball. Not to mention, those same chalks keep the felt, rails and the shafts much cleaner.

I have a feeling I'm gonna hear:

Yeah but so-and-so used masters or whatnot and ran "x" number of balls or racks etc...etc.

To them I have to say: at the time, masters (or "x" brand) was the best thing available. Thats why they used it. Today, I'm positive that those same players would use the best products available to them....it wouldn't be masters or predator or any other chalk that doesn't stay clean long enough to matter.

Anyone thats had a high run end due to a mishap because of chalk buildup on the cueball or object ball knows and understands fully.

In general, players playing 14.1, AR or any other game where the cueball can't be touched (to be cleaned) should use the cleanest chalk available.

Having said all that, I have plenty of friends that don't need extremely clean and more expensive modern chalk. Their runs average low enough to where the buildup doesn't come into play before they miss.

On the other hand, I have a few buddies that play pretty sporty str8's and most all of them use the cleanest chalk they can find.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asmani........if you don’t know the brand of chalk that the pool hall gave you, it is a worthless comparison.
MC is not one bit superior, nor is BD, my favorite chalk, or any other known brand chalk, over the others.
Dr. Dave is unquestionably the most objective and also astute expert on the physics of playing pool.
He put that issue to bed about chalk superiority long ago, Chalk is chalk when used correctly....Nuf Ced!

As for miscues you, like Dr. Dave are correct. But, IMO..all chalks are not created equal when it comes to sticking to the CB, OB, felt, rails and shafts alike.

Miscues are of little concern to most players that play at a very high level. After reaching a certain level in pool, "which" brand chalk matters very little until:

you've run several racks of 14.1 and half the ob's are more or less soiled with chalk and on top of that, the CB looks like a blue measles ball because it is covered with dots of chalk. At that time, IMO, yes sir....it matters a great deal.

YMMV,

Jeff

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played the entire day without chalk period, and I wipe my tip before putting away my cue.
I've found it easier to play 8 ball this way but have been able to do it playing 9 ball also. Every few months I do this, just saying.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Master Green is my go to Chalk, how to apply it (chalk) must be on someone mind? I am sure there is a U-TUBE on how to do it right as per someone opinion.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave states that there isn’t any difference in brands of chalk if the player properly applies chalk after every shot. Not one discernible difference whatsoever in premium chalks vs. inexpensive chalks.

I disagree... Dr. Dave probably never tried the pioneer chalk... it’s like rubbing a piece of polished concrete on your tip...it’s pretty clean tho as it leaves no chalk anywhere.
My statements and conclusions apply only to the chalks I have tested to date:
Master, Master pre-flag, Lava, Blue Diamond, Kamui (0.98), Silver Cup, Magic Chalk, Predator, Great White (mako blue), OB, and Taom (original and version 2).

For those interested, my videos, articles, and conclusions dealing with this topic can be found here:

chalk brand comparison resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave Alciatore Is The Patron Saint of Pool

On behalf of the pool playing community, which might comes across as presumptuous on my part but nonetheless,
I want to acknowledge our appreciation for the interest, research, and excellent scientific analysis performed by Dr.
Dave. The information he has compiled and opinions expressed are the best instructional aids for all skill levels.
Additionally, he has made this information available to everyone for free.....OMG.....and he is impartial & objective
in his findings and conclusions. Goodness gracious, Dr. Dave deserves being dubbed the Patron Saint of Pool....IMO.

Matt B.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played the entire day without chalk period, and I wipe my tip before putting away my cue.
I've found it easier to play 8 ball this way but have been able to do it playing 9 ball also. Every few months I do this, just saying.
Why???????? NO way to play very long without chalk and still be effective. Trying to prove something that doesn't need proving? I hear this crap and just laugh.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm loosing it and thought Dr. Dave gave the Russian chalk the highest rating . I must be loosing it.

I also heard many miscues are caused by a poor stroke, not a lack of chalk.

But, to be on the safe side watch a You Tube match featuring Efren Reyes and who ever. Watch how often Efren chalks, I don't remember ever seeing him miscue.
You better run down that chalk if you're "loosing" it. Now if you're "losing" it that's a different story. ;)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking of betting with Dr Dave

if he says there is no difference i am willing to bet with him

i suspect he has a way of testing clinically and the rest of us are kinda going from perceived results

I have only tried predator chalk a few times when some was left on the table

and i tend to hit several shots before chalking, I have never be fastideous about chalking

but I almost always chalk if i plan to hit draw

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not calling you out by any means but, in this post you say you played an entire day without chalk and even found it easier with 8 ball.

Then, in the ghost challenge thread you said you would have a problem competing with the 6 ball ghost.

Am I missing something?

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not calling you out by any means but, in this post you say you played an entire day without chalk and even found it easier with 8 ball.

Then, in the ghost challenge thread you said you would have a problem competing with the 6 ball ghost.

Am I missing something?

Jeff
No, you got it. They guy's an idiot if he thinks he can play without chalk.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, you got it. They guy's an idiot if he thinks he can play without chalk.
Either that or very good with center-ball shots.

Cue maker Jim Buss tells the story of a top player who was at his shop (maybe for a new tip or a new cue) and Jim mentioned that the tip hadn't been chalked yet. The player said, "No problem," and proceeded to run two racks on the table in Jim's shop with a never-been-chalked tip. (I think the player was Billy Burge -- Cornbread Red.)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either that or very good with center-ball shots.

Cue maker Jim Buss tells the story of a top player who was at his shop (maybe for a new tip or a new cue) and Jim mentioned that the tip hadn't been chalked yet. The player said, "No problem," and proceeded to run two racks on the table in Jim's shop with a never-been-chalked tip. (I think the player was Billy Burge -- Cornbread Red.)
Two racks isn't " the entire day" as that other guy said. I can see a top player doing this and two racks,maybe three, would be tops.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a back and forth swipes enuff
Well, yes, but.... The vast majority of pool players don't know how to chalk. That's why you see all the chalk with holes bored into it in pool halls. You never see the chalk of top players with holes bored into it.

The most important part of chalking is looking at your tip to see what kind of job you've done.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you do not chalk your cue, or in the example cited a new cue tip sans any chalk,
I think you had better play center ball and avoid using any English, aside from little.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two racks isn't " the entire day" as that other guy said. ...
But in his defense, he never said he made a ball playing without chalk. :p

I think it's an interesting exercise especially if you are prone to using too much spin.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yes, but.... The vast majority of pool players don't know how to chalk. That's why you see all the chalk with holes bored into it in pool halls. You never see the chalk of top players with holes bored into it.

The most important part of chalking is looking at your tip to see what kind of job you've done.
Yep. I told the manager of place i go that they could save money each month by putting up a couple posters showing how to chalk. 80% of the people in there use the drill-method.