How many cues? Why so many?

Muddog

Registered
Just curious how many cues you own/have owned?

Currently working on a replacement for my old Huebler and would honestly not be doing that if not for worrying about theft/damage as it has great sentimental value

I’m that way with most things... been hunting with the same rifle for 30yrs drove the same truck for 20 till it was totaled by an ahole with no insurance

I do have 3 guitars but acquired over 35 years (was just the two till I finally got a Martin)

I just see so many with these huge lists of cues and wonder is it a personality thing or?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Currently working on a replacement for my old Huebler and would honestly not be doing that if not for worrying about theft/damage as it has great sentimental value

I’m that way with most things... been hunting with the same rifle for 30yrs drove the same truck for 20 till it was totaled by an ahole with no insurance

I do have 3 guitars but acquired over 35 years (was just the two till I finally got a Martin)

I just see so many with these huge lists of cues and wonder is it a personality thing or?

I have many and yes with me its a lack of personality. I hope to own a Martin (Harvey) myself someday.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
First it started because I love to play. Then I became interested in the construction and decoration. Different techniques led to more curiosity as to which factors were important to play. Finally which top quality sticks were the most interesting aesthetically. I still say I can be happy with any one of a number of them, but I still like having many variations.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Why do you have so few?

I have a rack-full but that's so guests have some choices and I can experiment with different shafts and break cues. All together I don't have what some spend on a single custom cue wrapped up in them.
5d7f26378d14c728ce5ce827d6d5f057.jpg

Sent from the future.

Muddog

Registered
Not knocking anyone’s habits/personality I just personally have always had trouble buying things I want instead of need once it was because of $ but now it’s almost ingrained in me so bad I’ll agonize over buying anything I don’t need.

If I played for a living I’m sure I would have more and when I had a table I had some house cues but a big part of me has always believed owning one cue/gun/truck etc means you learn it well know how it will react in a given situation and be better for it... and before the internet that was much easier
Now sometimes I wonder if I’m missing out

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Not knocking anyone’s habits/personality I just personally have always had trouble buying things I want instead of need once it was because of $ but now it’s almost ingrained in me so bad I’ll agonize over buying anything I don’t need.

If I played for a living I’m sure I would have more and when I had a table I had some house cues but a big part of me has always believed owning one cue/gun/truck etc means you learn it well know how it will react in a given situation and be better for it... and before the internet that was much easier
Now sometimes I wonder if I’m missing out

Are you healthy & happy, if yes your ok living life on your terms.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People collect all sorts of things. Lots of reasons to collect pool cues. They can be both functional and beautiful

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of it is collecting and just trying different things. If you can afford a hobby it tends to get massive once you dig into it. I don't understand knives for example, you get one, you can cut an apple with it, that's it. But some spend hundreds or more for a knife from a maker or buy different models or colors of a knife that is pretty much the same as the 10 they already have.

Outside of pool I started to get into audio, so now I have 3 headphones and 4 in ear headphones, plus a set of JBL studio monitors for speakers, a decent external sound card and bought lights to showcase the thing, for my own entertainment since I don't walk around with my computer desk or have people come over to look at it. Outside of the actual computer stuff, I'd say I put in as much into the audio equipment as I have in my most expensive cue. But all the headphones have a different sound signature for me to enjoy, much like having different cues and shafts do, so having several is not really a "waste of money", just a hobby that leads to more enjoyment. Instead of just listening to music, or a game or a movie or even a pool match, now I can decide how I want to listen to it. I got custom shafts and a few times custom joint protectors, the headphone hangers I have were made buy a guy with a 3d printer off etsy, so "custom headphone hangers" LOL Lights are RGB strip so I can "custom" that to like cues. Cables you can buy in all sorts of colors, like picking out a cue, table to hold it would be like a case. People do the same with cars, a guy with 50 million in the bank can have a collection of 10 Corvettes same as normal people would collect baseball cards, for no reason other than the fact he likes them and wants to experience different ones.

IMG_20200106_203824849.jpg

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

Hundreds over the last 20 years, closer to 6 than 5 probably. Nothing over the top like some fabulous ones you see on here, but in the $100-$7500 range. Today tho, my dad officially has more Martins than I have cues :thumbup: they’re a way better investment than cues are.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many gun owners own just one single gun?
I’m sure there are lots but not a single person that I know with a gun owns just one gun.
They might own a rifle, shotgun or handgun or some combination but always more one.

Cue-makers will startle you with the cues they make & like with guns, more can be better.
I own different brands and calibers of guns and with pool cues, I own different cue-makers.

Except for my Schon & Palmer Cues, all my other cues are the same approximate weight
unlike my guns that all vary in shape, size and caliber. I really only need one handgun and
the same could be said of pool cues. I submit more is better in both cases & I can afford it.

Last edited:

Muddog

Registered
How many gun owners own just one single gun?
I’m sure there are lots but not a single person that I know with a gun owns just one gun.
They might own a rifle, shotgun or handgun or some combination but always more one.

Cue-makers will startle you with the cues they make & like with guns, more can be better.
I own different brands and calibers of guns and with pool cues, I own different cue-makers.

Except for my Schon & Palmer Cues, all my other cues are the same approximate weight
unlike my guns that all vary in shape, size and caliber. I really only need one handgun and
the same could be said of pool cues. I submit more is better in both cases & I can afford it.

I said 1 rifle I hunt with. Have other firearms for other situations

Bought a break cue and it was nice but was stolen and struggling to justify another
Not a money issue just my own screwed up personality
I know people who like having lots of stuff and those like myself who would rather have just what they need

I can see progressing to better equipment but only when I think I’ve really earned it and will truly know the difference

Took me 15 years to really know the difference in Martin guitars and another 10 to find “the one”
Wish billiard shops were as plentiful and I could spend hours trying every cue till I found the one

Muddog

Registered
Sorry I’m just a curious sob that can and does stick his foot in his mouth

Do you use different cues for different tables or games? Do you set them up differently as far as tips and radius?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Sorry I’m just a curious sob that can and does stick his foot in his mouth

Do you use different cues for different tables or games? Do you set them up differently as far as tips and radius?

Naw.......

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I said 1 rifle I hunt with. Have other firearms for other situations

Bought a break cue and it was nice but was stolen and struggling to justify another

Not a money issue just my own screwed up personality

I know people who like having lots of stuff and those like myself who would rather have just what they need

I can see progressing to better equipment but only when I think I’ve really earned it and will truly know the difference

Took me 15 years to really know the difference in Martin guitars and another 10 to find “the one”

Wish billiard shops were as plentiful and I could spend hours trying every cue till I found the one
You've put more thought, time and energy into not buying a cue than I put into deciding to buy the last six I bought combined.

Sent from the future.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People collect all sorts of things. Lots of reasons to collect pool cues. They can be both functional and beautiful

I think that this answer sums it all up very simply - I would only add that there are two forms of collecting- one is just a hobby and one is an addiction. The difference is control.