Protecting your cue from harsh weather

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm curious if anyone has any advice on how to keep your pool cue in good condition during winter and summer months. I live in Canada's capital and in the summer it can get as hot as 32C (90F) and in the winter it can get as low as -32C (-25F). Furthermore I do not drive so I have to take public transportation to and from the pool hall I play league at which means walking to bus stops, waiting at them and bussing around the city. our winters are snowy but the air is dry. Our summers can be scorching but it's the humidity that gets you. Any advice from those that live in these sorts of places year-round would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that short term exposure is not a huge issue...as in walking for 30 min outside. I think the bconcerning aspects about temperature ectremes are mainly due to long term exposure, like leaving it in a car overnight or during the workday.

I believe I have read here that insulating a cue- like wrapping the case in towels or a blanket- helps by making temperature swings more gradual.

But you'd look kinda weird boarding public transportation with a blanket wrapped cue.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I suggest getting a small thermometer and dropping it in with your cues and see what it reads on a real cold day after you have been out in the cold waiting for buses and such. This will be a good indicator of how much concern you should have.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you tried asking people in your local pool hall or league?

My home room offer lockers, so I story my cue there.

I also used to keep a back up cue in my car, along with a set of balls. It was a sneaky pete with the layered tip as my playing cue. This was in case I didn't get a chance to go back to my home room to pick up my cue. It was also a cue that I was prepared to write off if it warped, or was stolen. I had my car broken into before, and a set of balls stolen.

As for cue cases, I prefer hard rigid cases such as 2x4 It's George.
http://www.palmercollector.com/ItsGeorgeCases.html

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Where I am, it gets really hot and humid in the summer and cues (even inside the case) will get wet with moisture if I take them outside for any period of time.
I usually stuff a couple of dessicant packs into the case and its pockets to keep everything dry and happy.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep your cues at the same temps you feel comfortable at ie room temperature. Short exposures won't hurt anything,
There has always been debate as to the potential for damage with some folks believing there will be no damage. If they have truly experienced that I would call them lucky. I have witnessed first hand rings and ferrule lines popping in cold weather. I have so seen cues warp in hot humid weather. The old keep your cues in the same temperature as you are comfortable is the best advice I can give. You might get away with it, but why risk something you paid good money for?
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone
Any spelling errors I'm blaming on autocorrect :)

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
I'm guessing your poolhall doesn't have lockers......
imo if it bothered me thst much I'd be using cheap sticks.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm curious if anyone has any advice on how to keep your pool cue in good condition during winter and summer months. I live in Canada's capital and in the summer it can get as hot as 32C (90F) and in the winter it can get as low as -32C (-25F). Furthermore I do not drive so I have to take public transportation to and from the pool hall I play league at which means walking to bus stops, waiting at them and bussing around the city. our winters are snowy but the air is dry. Our summers can be scorching but it's the humidity that gets you. Any advice from those that live in these sorts of places year-round would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

You can buy a real leather case. It works like some kind of weather seal :).

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Keep your cues at the same temps you feel comfortable at ie room temperature. Short exposures won't hurt anything, ........
Chuck..........

Agreed 100%. This was kne of the first things I learned very early on - If I'm comfortable, so is my cue. If it isn't with me, it's in the house, if it is with me it goes where I go, movie, airport, mall, grocery store, etc....
In the case, short term exposure to the weather won't hurt.
and as far as the case goes, my thought is that just about any case with a soft cloth or leather interior will do. The softer interior will absorb the heat or cold and humidity and keep the cue protected

pooljunkie75

Bruce Johnson
Silver Member
One of the biggest things is to take your cue out of the case and let it get acclimated to the room your playing in. The worst thing you can do is stress the wood, joints, inlays etc. if it is too cold or hot. This can make inlays pop out, clear coat crack, shafts warp etc. I live in Iowa where we get extremes of 110 degrees down to - 30 and I have seen it all. Properly let the wood warm up or cool down and you will be fine.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

Link to Bran's thread: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=264557

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one of the biggest culprits to cues is moisture. If your cues get real cold and they come in contact with warm air, there will be some condensation that occurs. Make sure you wipe your cues off till they come to room temperature. Desiccant in your case is a marvelous idea.

Al

Gary G

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
climate control

I'm not sure why everyone has over looked
the obvious. You should really think about moving
to an area with nicer weather. IMO . :thumbup:

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure why everyone has over looked
the obvious. You should really think about moving
to an area with nicer weather. IMO . :thumbup:

I'd love to move somewhere nicer but for now ontario is my home, and until I relocate I have to figure out how to protect my investment from the weather

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As already mentioned wait a while until cues reach room temperature before you play with them.

-Jon Birger