Modifying a OEM Schon maple shaft for LD properties?

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple Schon cues I use, one is my primary player. I have a couple 314 pre-cat shafts I've used for years and like them. I think the 314's are about 12.6mm.

I also have three OEM maple Schon shafts I don't use anymore. These I believe are about 13mm and feel like I've screwed a club on the end of my cue, (and hit like it) since I've used the 314's for so long.

It is possible to take the Schon shafts down to match the 314 12.6mm od and shorten the Schoen ferrule to the 314 spec and improve the deflection of it? This would enable me to get some use out of one of them.

I also have a Schon Hybrid that plays about the same as the old OEM maple shafts even though it is a segmented shaft. I think it's about 13mm too with a longer ferrule than the 314's. Maybe this shaft is the one I should experiment with?

Any thoughts on potentially imparting some LD properties to one of the 13mm shafts by reducing the OD of it and shortening the ferrule would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It has 1" ferrule, doesn't it ?
If you shorten it, you will shorten the shaft's total length.

Sure, it's possible to cut off the ferrule, drill a hole for a carbon fiber tube and use a short ferrule.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Joey says, if you shorten the ferrule, you shorten the shaft... you could remove the ferrule, drill a 5/16 hole 3" deep, fill with foam and replace the ferrule with a more lightweight material like Tomahawk.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
As Joey says, if you shorten the ferrule, you shorten the shaft... you could remove the ferrule, drill a 5/16 hole 3" deep, fill with foam and replace the ferrule with a more lightweight material like Tomahawk.

If you drill it with a 5/16 drill, you lose the 5/16 tenon. Lol
I drill 1/4 on 3/8 carbon fiber tube. Their hole is about. 200.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you drill it with a 5/16 drill, you lose the 5/16 tenon. Lol
I drill 1/4 on 3/8 carbon fiber tube. Their hole is about. 200.

Wow I thought they used a 3/8 tennon lol:eek:
Yeah then you have to go smaller, or make a new tennon :)

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Did somebody try to put ferulle directly on carbon tube installed on the shaft?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=423185

And to clarify, when I say "close to a 314-2" in squirt, I should rephrase it to 'close to about even with some of the other LD shafts out there I have tried'. But it still most definitely squirts whitey off more than a predator shaft. :thumbup:

I had ordered a 31" 12mm Schon shaft to mess with, but cant remember why I didnt end up getting it now. :confused:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can take the shaft down, you can change the ferrule to a softer, lighter material. To drill a hole in a finished shaft is dangerous and I advise you not to do it.