Question about ebony, delrin and dymondwood...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My playing cue is an ebony butt with 12.4 revo shaft with a hard tip. I like cues that are at least 60" but no longer than 64" and it must play very stiff or I don't like.

My favorite mid-cue extension thus far is a 2" ebony with radial pin.

Well, I dropped my cue and it warped the extension. The cue and shaft still roll perfect.

Now, my question is: how will an extension made of delrin compare to the extension made of ebony?

I'm also open to mid-cue extensions made of dymondwood with g10 pins. How would the dymondwood compare to the ebony and delrin?

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I ask where you come up with these ideas?
Delrin would be a terrible material for that type of use.
I usually use maple for mid extensions, as it`s not to heavy, yet dense enough so you get good threads. Dymondwood is a resin and plywood mix. Again why not just use maple? You can stain it black if you want it the same colour as your ebony extension.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually use maple for mid extensions, as it`s not to heavy, yet dense enough so you get good threads. Dymondwood is a resin and plywood mix. Again why not just use maple? You can stain it black if you want it the same colour as your ebony extension.

Well, they were not my ideas.

I called a popular cue maker on here and ask him if he had an extension. He said it would take him (I think) three months to get to me but, he had an extension already made of delrin with g10 pin for $75 plus shipping if I wanted it.

I have never seen an extension made of delrin much less hit with one which is why I came here to ask about it before buying.

As for who the cue maker, I had rather not say who he is because he is well liked on this forum and I do not want to "seem" to be complaining or second guessing him. I have no issue with him at all. He has a great reputation among all cue makers for his cue work. If he reads this I hope he understands I was just doing research.

As for the Dymondwood extension, well, I ask another cue maker that makes dymondwood cues that do very well as a break cue, jump cue or J/B cue. He said he would make me one of dymondwood and see how it works.

I have other extensions. Three of maple (Pechauer made them) to fit a Pechauer cue that rolls perfect but they will not fit my radial revo. One dymondwood extension that fits my revo that hits good but it has a bit of tip lift and I just cannot get past a certain amount of tip lift. The maker of that one is currently trying to resolve the tip lift issue. He is being very good about it. I expect when he gets time it will roll perfect as well. Like the other cue maker above, he does good work and to my knowledge is a very honest person.

My ebony extension that I dropped and warped was made by Blokid on here. He does great work at very reasonable prices but it takes a long time to get things since he and I are a long, long ways apart. Again, Blokid did an awesome job on my extension. Like I said, I will most likely end up going back to him if I cannot find someone closer to do it.

As for maple, I have nothing against maple. I was told by both cue makers above that ebony and the like would keep the cue stiffer than maple would.

If I end up having to wait for weeks on end I will just order another ebony extension from Blokid. Like I said, the first one he sent was awesome before I dropped it...lol.

Thanks for your feedback on the delrin,

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screw would be unglued on Delrin. Try phenolic.

I've never seen an extension made of phenolic. Would phenolic be as stiff as ebony? How would it compare in weight?

I would think someone could make an extension that was one solid piece where the pin and extension was made of phenolic or am I way off base?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've never seen an extension made of phenolic. Would phenolic be as stiff as ebony? How would it compare in weight?

I would think someone could make an extension that was one solid piece where the pin and extension was made of phenolic or am I way off base?

Ebony would be too dangerous imo. It might split .
Phenolic is very stiff.

Can't make them one piece except if it's all brass or aluminum.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
JRC,
Do you mind if we circle back to "Well, I dropped my cue and it warped the extension. "?
You stated the extension is only 2" long. By "warped" do you mean the pin got bent???
If so, why not explore having the existing pin removed and replaced?
Just wondering,
Gary

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JRC,
Do you mind if we circle back to "Well, I dropped my cue and it warped the extension. "?
You stated the extension is only 2" long. By "warped" do you mean the pin got bent???
If so, why not explore having the existing pin removed and replaced?
Just wondering,
Gary

I'm pretty sure it is the pin that is warped.

The pin is aluminum. Would it be best to try and straighten it out or just replace the pin? Keep in mind that I know almost nothing about building and repairing cues.

I gave $40 (if memory serves) for this one not counting shipping. I think shipping was ~$25 making the total $65. Again, if memory serves correct...lol. I never know these days.

It was shipped from vietnam. The maker was Blokid on here.

JoeyInCali said that ebony was dangerous and was prone to split. He suggested phenolic to be a better option.

I'm most likely going to buy at least two mid-cue extensions very soon. Not sure what material but I do know whatever material I end up with will need to contribute to the stiffness of the revo, not take away from the stiffness.

Thanks for the info

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure it is the pin that is warped.

The pin is aluminum. Would it be best to try and straighten it out or just replace the pin? Keep in mind that I know almost nothing about building and repairing cues.

I gave $40 (if memory serves) for this one not counting shipping. I think shipping was ~$25 making the total $65. Again, if memory serves correct...lol. I never know these days.

It was shipped from vietnam. The maker was Blokid on here.

JoeyInCali said that ebony was dangerous and was prone to split. He suggested phenolic to be a better option.

I'm most likely going to buy at least two mid-cue extensions very soon. Not sure what material but I do know whatever material I end up with will need to contribute to the stiffness of the revo, not take away from the stiffness.

Thanks for the info

You're really overthinking all of this. Any repair guy can fix your extension, but it won't be free.

I can't imagine someone would charge $75 for a delrin extension with a G10 pin, but you don't need that. Just get a Balance-Rite for $25 and be done.

If you want to go Custom, go Custom. Order what you want.

I still maintain that Delrin hits like mud

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're really overthinking all of this. Any repair guy can fix your extension, but it won't be free.

I can't imagine someone would charge $75 for a delrin extension with a G10 pin, but you don't need that. Just get a Balance-Rite for $25 and be done.

If you want to go Custom, go Custom. Order what you want.

I still maintain that Delrin hits like mud

I tend to overthink a lot of times. Sometimes that helps me, then again, sometimes it makes it rough. We are who we are and it is what it is.

Yeah, I thought $75 was a bit high but did not want to say anything because I had no idea how much delrin cost nor how much labor it involved.

I have two balance-rites now. They both roll terrible. A friend of mine bought 5 of them and kept the best one and returned the other 4. The one he kept still has tip lift but not real bad.

I carried one of the balance rites to a cue guy in huntsville, AL. He could not make it roll straight and I ended up having $45 for original purchase plus another $30 for him to attempt to repair. He said no charge but hey, I do not like to work for free so I do not expect anyone else to do it either.

And yes, after talking with others you are correct. Delrin is a poor choice for an extension. BTW, I just noticed your responce in the main forum, thanks. I did not realize I should have put the thread here. Another oops on my part.

I think I may end up going with phenolic.

Thanks for the help.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I hate to disagree, but I have built many joint extensions out of delrin. Delrin plays great. It just does not finish well. But delrin does not need a finish and maple does. That is why not use maple.
It takes me over an hour to make them and although delrin is cheap g10 pins are not. So with hourly rate of $50 then $75 is about right.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, they were not my ideas.

I called a popular cue maker on here and ask him if he had an extension. He said it would take him (I think) three months to get to me but, he had an extension already made of delrin with g10 pin for $75 plus shipping if I wanted it.

I have never seen an extension made of delrin much less hit with one which is why I came here to ask about it before buying.

As for who the cue maker, I had rather not say who he is because he is well liked on this forum and I do not want to "seem" to be complaining or second guessing him. I have no issue with him at all. He has a great reputation among all cue makers for his cue work. If he reads this I hope he understands I was just doing research.

As for the Dymondwood extension, well, I ask another cue maker that makes dymondwood cues that do very well as a break cue, jump cue or J/B cue. He said he would make me one of dymondwood and see how it works.

I have other extensions. Three of maple (Pechauer made them) to fit a Pechauer cue that rolls perfect but they will not fit my radial revo. One dymondwood extension that fits my revo that hits good but it has a bit of tip lift and I just cannot get past a certain amount of tip lift. The maker of that one is currently trying to resolve the tip lift issue. He is being very good about it. I expect when he gets time it will roll perfect as well. Like the other cue maker above, he does good work and to my knowledge is a very honest person.

My ebony extension that I dropped and warped was made by Blokid on here. He does great work at very reasonable prices but it takes a long time to get things since he and I are a long, long ways apart. Again, Blokid did an awesome job on my extension. Like I said, I will most likely end up going back to him if I cannot find someone closer to do it.

As for maple, I have nothing against maple. I was told by both cue makers above that ebony and the like would keep the cue stiffer than maple would.

If I end up having to wait for weeks on end I will just order another ebony extension from Blokid. Like I said, the first one he sent was awesome before I dropped it...lol.

Thanks for your feedback on the delrin,

Jeff

Try it and send it back if you don't like it. All you lose is shipping.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to disagree, but I have built many joint extensions out of delrin. Delrin plays great. It just does not finish well. But delrin does not need a finish and maple does. That is why not use maple.
It takes me over an hour to make them and although delrin is cheap g10 pins are not. So with hourly rate of $50 then $75 is about right.

That`s cool Chris. I`ve experimented with Delrin or POM as it`s called for short over here and I did not like the hit and gluebond is always an issue with Delrin, so it`s not for me. I have made extensions from Juma, that have worked very well though.
Phenolic as Joey suggests might be quite heavy. The ones I have made, the customer has always wanted them to be as light as possible, so I have used the G10 pins quite alot, the aluminum pins works fine to, but as the OP has experienced, it dosn`t take that much to bend those pins.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try it and send it back if you don't like it. All you lose is shipping.

Chris,

As you have gathered, regardless of how good or bad I play pool, I know little about how cues are made and what materials are best or worst.

I trust your judgement given your reputation and since you offer the money back if I do not like it I will be contacting you soon so, consider it sold sir.

I will call you tomorrow as soon as I get a chance to work out payment etc.

Thanks,

Jeff