Slate Framing Repair

mustang69hm

Registered
So I'm just starting working on my own table and trying to learn here as I also have to do this for a friend. Did a couple searches on here and basically came up empty. I'm looking for what type of wood to use to repair the slate framing. What type of adhesive to use to re-attach it to the slate. The framing on my friends is pretty much all there but its no longer glued to the slate and appears as if it was only contact bonded to it. Mine on my medalist needs a couple of repairs since it was used in a pool hall before I purchased it and the staples in places have nowhere to attach for the felt. Anyone have thoughts on this or is it just trade secrets that nobody wants to share? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone I know that works on tables professionally.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I am not a pro but have assembled two different gold crowns, both needed various refurbs and repair. Poplar is a good choice, fairly stable. Buy from a lumber yard, not a home center. The glue you want is a special adhesive made for stone/granite/marble/mirrors. Loctite and others make a version and you can find it at Lowes by the Liquid Nails and caulks.. Most backing I've seen is screwed on, not glued but I did repair a few missing parts by gluing on poplar 1x6's on my latest table. I just used a few spots of adhesive and clamped for a few days. The center slat couldn't be reached by clamps so I just flipped the slate over and stacked weight on it while the glue dried.

mustang69hm

Registered
I am not a pro but have assembled two different gold crowns, both needed various refurbs and repair. Poplar is a good choice, fairly stable. Buy from a lumber yard, not a home center. The glue you want is a special adhesive made for stone/granite/marble/mirrors. Loctite and others make a version and you can find it at Lowes by the Liquid Nails and caulks.. Most backing I've seen is screwed on, not glued but I did repair a few missing parts by gluing on poplar 1x6's on my latest table. I just used a few spots of adhesive and clamped for a few days. The center slat couldn't be reached by clamps so I just flipped the slate over and stacked weight on it while the glue dried.
Awesome, I will start there and post up some pictures as I go :) Thanks for the info its much appreciated.