Finding Quarter Ball (A / C in CTE)

Jucas

Registered
I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to find quarter ball (or the A/C references in CTE)?

I am having trouble visualizing the precise quarter.

Thanks.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to find quarter ball (or the A/C references in CTE)?

Thanks.
Practice, practice, practice. When they go in, your subconscious will learn to recognize that alignment as the one you want.

This kind of unavoidable learned estimation is one of the (many) reasons there's no such thing as totally "objective" aiming without subconscious involvement.

Just gotta deal with it.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

Wait for the Truth Series to come out. They will be well defined and very objective.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice, practice, practice. When they go in, your subconscious will learn to recognize that alignment as the one you want.

This kind of unavoidable learned estimation is one of the (many) reasons there's no such thing as totally "objective" aiming without subconscious involvement.

Just gotta deal with it.

pj
chgo

LMAO.............. same old same old

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

Yeah, I had this same issue a couple of years ago. This will get you real close.

Just so you will understand what I'm going to say, place a striped ball on the table with the stripe vertical. Stand back from the ball, notice the shadow of the ball on the table.

Where the shadow meets under the ball (looks like this >--<) that is real close to an "A" or "C". It gets even clearer when you get down into the shooting position.

Just try'in to help out. :)

John

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah, I had this same issue a couple of years ago. This will get you real close.

Just so you will understand what I'm going to say, place a striped ball on the table with the stripe vertical. Stand back from the ball, notice the shadow of the ball on the table.

Where the shadow meets under the ball (looks like this >--<) that is real close to an "A" or "C". It gets even clearer when you get down into the shooting position.

John
You can also place a striped OB with its stripe vertical and centered facing you. The edges of the stripe are pretty close to the quarters.

pj
chgo

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

John

Sounds vaguely familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people have excellent visual skills while others need to work on it. A quarter of a circle is halfway between the center and the outer edge. You either see it easily or you don't.

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people have excellent visual skills while others need to work on it. A quarter of a circle is halfway between the center and the outer edge. You either see it easily or you don't.

There he was talking about the sightline, not the aimline, aimline is still CB edge to A/C - quarters.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
There he was talking about the sightline, not the aimline, aimline is still CB edge to A/C - quarters.

I realized this as soon as I typed it, so I deleted that bit. Yes, instead of ETC in conjunction with the CTE line, he uses ETC and center cb "one tick passed the left quarter".

Is a tick 1 degree? In another video he mentions 360 ticks on the ball, so I assume 1 tick is one degree. If so, that's 0.5 mm across the face of the ball. I'm sure he means a little left of that quarter, not an exact half millimeter. That would be pretty talented visual skills.:D

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

If you can find an “older” Centennial striped ball, the edges of the stripe are at 1/4, or A & C. Newer centennials and Aramith balls are close, but the old Centennials are dead on. As someone else stated, place the stripe where you are looking straight at it. Do this and you’ll burn in the A & C visuals in a VERY short time.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Finding the quarter IS a visual determination. Quarter ball is 1/2 distance from OB center to OB edge.
The exact 1/4 ball distance is 9/16" or (.562) from OB center or OB edge..... 1/8 ball is 9/32" or (.281)

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
If you can find an “older” Centennial striped ball, the edges of the stripe are at 1/4, or A & C. Newer centennials and Aramith balls are close, but the old Centennials are dead on. As someone else stated, place the stripe where you are looking straight at it. Do this and you’ll burn in the A & C visuals in a VERY short time.

Yes, and by "older" they would have to older than 20 or 30 years, which are tough to find. Mine are from 1996 and the stripe is not the quarters.

Jucas

Registered
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I don't have access to a table where I could bring balls, if I could even find the centennial balls.

Does anyone know off hand, or know where I can find a diagram, comparing the stripe of "new balls" to the quarter?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are two balls to show how close the stripes are to matching the quarters.

https://i.imgur.com/aSlD7NW.jpg

The top ball is a 25yr old Brunswick centennial. The stripe is only 1 and 1/16" wide. Should be 1 1/8 to match quarters perfectly. The bottom ball is generic. The stripe is 1 1/4" wide....too wide. They are close, but one is 1/16 too thin and the other 1/8 too thick.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here are two balls to show how close the stripes are to matching the quarters.

https://i.imgur.com/aSlD7NW.jpg

The top ball is a 25yr old Brunswick centennial. The stripe is only 1 and 1/16" wide. Should be 1 1/8 to match quarters perfectly. The bottom ball is generic. The stripe is 1 1/4" wide....too wide. They are close, but one is 1/16 too thin and the other 1/8 too thick.
Here's the same balls with their quarters marked.

The stripe looks bigger than it is in the middle of the ball because it's closer to the camera - it's actually a little more narrow at the top and bottom.

pj
chgo

View attachment 78243

Attachments

• QUARTERS.jpg
    QUARTERS.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 234

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the same balls with their quarters marked.

The stripe looks bigger than it is in the middle of the ball because it's closer to the camera - it's actually a little more narrow at the top and bottom.

pj
chgo

View attachment 78243

Cool. But I held a tapeline over the balls and tried to get a visual on width. The centennial looked like 1 1/16. So then I wrapped the tapeline around the ball and measured the arc length of the stripe. It was a littlle thinner than 1 1/8. There's no way the straight on view of the stripe, in comparison to the diameter of the ball, can be bigger than the actual arc measurement on the ball. It must be a camera illusion.

The marks are great. Shows that the centennial is very close, just a touch thinner but not enough to be too far off.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. But I held a tapeline over the balls and tried to get a visual on width. The centennial looked like 1 1/16. So then I wrapped the tapeline around the ball and measured the arc length of the stripe. It was a littlle thinner than 1 1/8. There's no way the straight on view of the stripe, in comparison to the diameter of the ball, can be bigger than the actual arc measurement on the ball. It must be a camera illusion.

Doublecheck something. Compare your tapeline to an actual ruler. Are they the same? I used a tailor's type tape measure a few times and something didn't look right. Turns out the tape measure (fabric?) had stretched and was no longer accurate. Just saying its something to look out for if you haven't already confirmed that it is good.