Marbles and the Art of Gambling...

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Anybody here ever play marbles growing up? I think my infatuation with the game got me into pool eventually, the mechanics of the game, the competition, striving to become the best, hustling, the whole thing.

There were basically two games...the traditional game involved a large circle, everyone ante'd up marbles for the pot, spreading them out through the circle, taking turns shooting with the larger shooter marble, knocking others out of the circle (pocketing them as winnings), so long as your shooter knocked something out and yours stayed in, you kept shooting. That was the international game. In Texas, we played "Poison", where you dug a small shallow hole (size of a cereal bowl), everybody put in some marbles (pot) and we lagged from about 20 feet away...the closest got to shoot first. You shot into the hole to become "poisonous", then you got to shoot at the other players' marbles, keeping the ones you hit. Last one in got to keep the pot.

We used to gamble (marbles usually) on proposition shots, such as shooting a marble at another marble the length of the school hallway (200 feet plus)...I used to get the cheese 2 out of 3 times. :thumbup: I was pretty handy at hitting more than one marble with one shot (carom shots), jumping the first marble with extreme draw, hitting one marble and spinning backwards to hit the first one, plotting caroms, etc...all of which gave me an eye for billiards games that would become my life long obsession in a couple of short years later, where me and a couple of buddies would jump the fence at lunch time everyday and sneak into a tavern to play 8 ball on a 100 year old 5 x 10 with clay balls.

I played this game all through Junior High School, winning thousands of marbles (that I kept in a large cotton tow sack). My Dad took them away once as punishment for some transgression...I borrowed some marbles from a "backer" and quickly won about 500 or so marbles over the next couple of months. When my Dad found out (I thought I was in trouble), he said I'd learned an important lesson about starting over when you're down (like starting a business over when yours goes bust), and gave me back the tow sack.

It struck me the other day that so much of the stories you hear about the road sounded very familiar to what we were doing as kids playing marbles...the same hustles, the same competition ladder, the reputations, we even had our own fan base (railbirds) that bet on us, etc. Always wondered how many of those guys ended up playing pool when they grew up! :smile:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The best player in Colorado played marbles before pool, danny medina.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Gambling at marbles was the first lesson my Dad taught me at about 8 yo on the living room rug. He won my whole bag of marbles and kept them. It was the same with cards, bumper pool, and big table pool. Always took my money. It wasn't until I got real good on the BB that I got to beat him out of some money. But it didn't last long. He took me around to all the bars and staked me 75/25...him getting the 75. Man do I miss him. Johnnyt

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I often refer to pool as an extension of marbles, with more control of your shooter.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
It's simple: we are all born to be gamblers. Life, itself, is a gamble. Some of us play it safe--only taking a risk when the odds are insurmountably in our favor. Some of us feed on the risk.

We used to play all kinds of games as kids. We would play chess for candybars. Anybody remember pogs? I must have been 7 years old when we started playing this game. Then I graduated to the arcades. Challenge matches on the Mortal Kombat machine would last all day long; winner stays, challenger pays for the game. You could play for hours with one quarter...if you were the best.

I was 10 when we went to Vegas the first time. Mom and dad dropped me at the arcade and hit the tables. The parents were losing hundreds on the blackjack or craps table...but I was making $10 or $20 a day on the MK machine: not too shabby for a 5th grader.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing "steely boulders for keeps" when I was 12 years old. Pretty simple game - each player tries to hit the other player's marble/steel ball. They get one turn each and you were usually firing from long distance in a huge sand box. If you hit the other guys ball first you won it. I was the champ at EJ Brown elementary in Dayton, Ohio. Another lifetime ago! :eek:

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody here ever play marbles growing up? I think my infatuation with the game got me into pool eventually, the mechanics of the game, the competition, striving to become the best, hustling, the whole thing.

There were basically two games...the traditional game involved a large circle, everyone ante'd up marbles for the pot, spreading them out through the circle, taking turns shooting with the larger shooter marble, knocking others out of the circle (pocketing them as winnings), so long as your shooter knocked something out and yours stayed in, you kept shooting. That was the international game. In Texas, we played "Poison", where you dug a small shallow hole (size of a cereal bowl), everybody put in some marbles (pot) and we lagged from about 20 feet away...the closest got to shoot first. You shot into the hole to become "poisonous", then you got to shoot at the other players' marbles, keeping the ones you hit. Last one in got to keep the pot.

We used to gamble (marbles usually) on proposition shots, such as shooting a marble at another marble the length of the school hallway (200 feet plus)...I used to get the cheese 2 out of 3 times. :thumbup: I was pretty handy at hitting more than one marble with one shot (carom shots), jumping the first marble with extreme draw, hitting one marble and spinning backwards to hit the first one, plotting caroms, etc...all of which gave me an eye for billiards games that would become my life long obsession in a couple of short years later, where me and a couple of buddies would jump the fence at lunch time everyday and sneak into a tavern to play 8 ball on a 100 year old 5 x 10 with clay balls.

I played this game all through Junior High School, winning thousands of marbles (that I kept in a large cotton tow sack). My Dad took them away once as punishment for some transgression...I borrowed some marbles from a "backer" and quickly won about 500 or so marbles over the next couple of months. When my Dad found out (I thought I was in trouble), he said I'd learned an important lesson about starting over when you're down (like starting a business over when yours goes bust), and gave me back the tow sack.

It struck me the other day that so much of the stories you hear about the road sounded very familiar to what we were doing as kids playing marbles...the same hustles, the same competition ladder, the reputations, we even had our own fan base (railbirds) that bet on us, etc. Always wondered how many of those guys ended up playing pool when they grew up! :smile:

Never gambled , but played for keeps , Ramey AFB in Puerto Rico , early, mid 60's when my Dad was stationed there . Cats eyes were cheap , and our shooter was the same size as the other marbles. We had a certain amount of pot marbles that you entered to play. When you shot from outside the ring if you stuck you shot again. Had no concept of angles to stay in the pot , shot hard to stick.

Played with the Johnson brothers from Oklahoma , Johnny and Larry , went with their family to San Juan at the other end of the island , had a sugar cane truck back out of a field and hit us on the way back . Kept all my marbles in empty Hershey's chocolate powder cans , the ones with the push in disc top. Wow , wish i could go back to that time and start over.:grin:

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member

Great post! We gambled for marbles all through grammar school. I had a cardboard box full in the attic. Don't know what happened to them.

I never made the mental connection from marbles to pool but I think you may be on to something. There's an awful lot of parallels...

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
a couple of years ago I ran across a PC game called Marbles, and it's resemblance to pool was the very first thing that struck me. No wonder I forgot everything until I cruised through all the levels of it (it presents various tasks of "cue ball" control) :D

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Never really been a pool shark, but I was little bastard with the marbles.

Kids crying when they lost, walking away with their favorite special marble, you have to be hard core to be a marble hustler, lol.

I couldn't even give my marbles away until I was 20-something and gave them to a kid. I had hundreds, and had kept mostly the nice ones that you hold up the sun and see all the detail inside.

Kid was ecstatic when I gave them to him...year later they were all gone somehow.

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Man you are taking me down memory lane here. I played the same games and for the life of me I could not remember the rules as an adult. I played Big ring marbles with my dad and it was the coolest thing to me when us kids were playing and my dad came home from work and would stop and play with me and my friends in the dirt. They all thought he was so cool. Man he would shoot our marbles into the next county he shot so hard and was accurate too. We had a season for all games like marble season, Spinning Top season, Top shooter season, Scooter season, Sling shot season, man those were the days. I said to myself that when I won 500 marbles I would quit and save those marbles for my kids to play with ( now I was just 7 or 8 mind you) and that is just what I did. I put them in a shoe box and stored them in the attic. When I gave them to my kids they looked at me like I had lost my mind or something and it was as if the life had got sucked out of me, They were in the Play Station era so how could I compete with that. Well anyway I had to get that off of my chest and thanks for the post.:thumbup: