Any Idea who INVENTED "GOLF On the SNOOKER TABLE ????

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I grew up- Baltimore-70/s 80's ….
NEVER Heard of Snooker or seen a Snooker Table-Until I moved to Oklahoma 1990
"its a great game-
I feel-one of the best HEADS UP GAMES-

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are several kinds of golf on a snooker table but I think you mean the multiplayer game, each player has his own object ball, shared cue ball, make your ball in the pockets in order. There are many minor rules variations to the game. It was a fairly common game where I played in the mid-sixties in Northern California. John Henderson may have an earlier reference.

I have no idea who invented it.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
There are several kinds of golf on a snooker table but I think you mean the multiplayer game, each player has his own object ball, shared cue ball, make your ball in the pockets in order.

Our variant here uses the solid and stripe of each color (1-9, 2-10, etc) as cueball and object ball for the players. We also use skittles for hazards.

I also do not know who invented it but I do know new curse words every Sunday when they play. :D

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't know but when I first started playing in 1970 it was already going in Los Angeles. The other popular game was called "Liability" which is a ring game and is a lot of fun (unless you sell out).

Here's a historical reference from the late 1800's that describes playing pocket rotation as practice:

http://www.snookergames.co.uk/games4.html

By the way, my buddy was an excellent golf player and made a lot of money in regular games in San Jose. Hardtimes in Bellflower always seems to have a great game going.

Last edited:

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know who invented it but I do know every pool hall I’ve played at had their own set of rules. Great game!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On some other forum ;) John Henderson reports that it was popular in the 1950s. There were very few pool books back then that might have discussed the game and the newspapers only covered tournaments it seems.

I suppose it's possible that it was mentioned in "Billiards Magazine" which was published from the teens into the 1930s. Maybe someone who has a collection of them could look through it. This example is from 1929:

CropperCapture[426].jpg

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf on a Snooker table

We played Golf in the 50s in Arlington, TX. I assumed they played The Game at the Texas Rec in Ft Worth. We all played with Snooker Balls.

Here in Tulsa, we play with Pool Balls on a Snooker Table with GAFF Pockets. Whoever messed up that Table, should be SHOT. The rails are bad too, the ZBank is almost non-existent. The table used to be in OK City, I'd bet they threw a party when that POS went East...

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My game

2 times a week we play on my 5 by 10 brunswick snooker table with 3.5 inch pockets but use pool balls 2.25 inch diameter.

There was a great game I watched but never played, in the old billiard palace upstairs in bellflower ca in the 1970s and a big game at gave bowl.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2 times a week we play on my 5 by 10 brunswick snooker table with 3.5 inch pockets but use pool balls 2.25 inch diameter.

There was a great game I watched but never played, in the old billiard palace upstairs in bellflower ca in the 1970s and a big game at gave bowl.
I once watched a 5- or 6- player game in Bellflower. I came in when someone was on the 3-hole. The game ended three hours later. I suppose it is like one pocket -- if you have never played it, it can be hard to watch.

The table in Bellflower had ultra-tight pockets and three inches of roll-off for some shots.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We played Golf in the 50s in Arlington, TX. I assumed they played The Game at the Texas Rec in Ft Worth. We all played with Snooker Balls.

Here in Tulsa, we play with Pool Balls on a Snooker Table with GAFF Pockets. Whoever messed up that Table, should be SHOT. The rails are bad too, the ZBank is almost non-existent. The table used to be in OK City, I'd bet they threw a party when that POS went East...

CEEBEE …..
"You're a funny guy :grin-square:
Golf table supposed to be a little harder....
Otherwise-
just play golf on a 41/2 by 9 gold crown :confused:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CEEBEE …..
"You're a funny guy :grin-square:
Golf table supposed to be a little harder....
Otherwise-
just play golf on a 41/2 by 9 gold crown :confused:

Duane, I really do realize that Golf on a Snooker Table is supposed to be difficult, hence, the use of Pool Balls on a Snooker Table, but NOT Impossible. If the Snooker Table is a good one & rolls well, the better players will enjoy it more. The lower skilled players won't know the difference...

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That table was so tight, I never enjoyed playing it.

I once watched a 5- or 6- player game in Bellflower. I came in when someone was on the 3-hole. The game ended three hours later. I suppose it is like one pocket -- if you have never played it, it can be hard to watch.

The table in Bellflower had ultra-tight pockets and three inches of roll-off for some shots.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing the game in the mid 60's with a few old timers. One variation played was if you sold out the game, you had to match the largest amount owed. Brutal at times, especially if you had a newbie in the game and they had lots of hickies.

I am sure the game goes back a long time.

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Brunswick-Balke-Collender and Lawn Billiards

This article from the February 9, 1931, issue of The Miami Herald is the earliest reference I could find to a game combining elements of golf with snooker.

It’s clearly not the same game as what we’re accustomed to because it was played with mallets instead of cues, but Brunswick-Balke-Collender was involved and stars like Ralph Greenleaf and Jake Schaefer were exposed to this novelty game, so perhaps it was a source of inspiration for the game of “golf” played (with cues) on a snooker table.

FC07E76F-7943-4FFA-885F-A6A6C880EF47.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This article from the February 9, 1931, issue of The Miami Herald is the earliest reference I could find to a game combining elements of golf with snooker.

It’s clearly not the same game as what we’re accustomed to because it was played with mallets instead of cues, but Brunswick-Balke-Collender was involved and stars like Ralph Greenleaf and Jake Schaefer were exposed to this novelty game, so perhaps it was a source of inspiration for the game of “golf” played (with cues) on a snooker table. ...
Interesting find.

"Due to the demand for an outdoor billiard table..." The demand was evidently in the minds of the marketing department.:smile:

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting find.

"Due to the demand for an outdoor billiard table..." The demand was evidently in the minds of the marketing department.:smile:
I like the idea of hazards (like an upside-down pill bottle) and having to bank certain holes would add a twist also. Cool article.