Ronnie Rosas, Mexican Ronnie

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm going to be honest here and maybe a little blunt, but to me this is a happy ending story.

I knew Ronnie when we were teenagers. He was a phenom, as big as a talent as I've ever seen. He was always up for a cheap game anywhere, anytime, and traveled the Valley and Los Angeles hustling in literally any place there was a pool table and people with a few bucks. I ran into him everywhere.

When he wasn't robbing me for $20 on the pool table, I was backing him. Twice he asked me to back him. The first time was against Ronnie Allen playing 9 ball on a tight table at "Fast Eddie's" in North Hollywood, which Ronnie had bought, $200 races to 9. This would have been about 1975 or 1976. If I recall Ronnie Allen gave Rosas the 8 ball and lost the first set. They played even up the second set and Allen lost again. There was discussion of a game change but Allen quit. Ronnie Allen was pissed off, losing to a local kid.

The next one was at Mother's in Van Nuys. Ronnie was playing Ernesto (spotting Ernesto the last two). He was having trouble the first set but won, then easily won the second set. But I could see that Mexican Ronnie was on a bad road at that time and needed breaks to get pumped up.

I stopped playing pool and focused on my career. I always thought Ronnie would be a champion. He could have been a champion, no doubt. But somehow a troubled life can go it's own way and never find the right way back. Ronnie had a loving mom and a fine household, but the demons of, let's call it "the life", favor nobody, ever.

Ronnie was a hero to us. He was us. He was a kid who could play 9 ball with anybody. He regularly beat the top players of the day. He beat Rodney Morris in L.A. around the same time Rodney beat Efren to take the U.S. Open. The list of his victims is long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUx4OWsIZgI

He was feared by all the local shortstops. It was cricket's when he walked into the room. I learned to trust Ronnie in those days and we didn't lose. He was a tall, thin kid from a tough area in the North San Fernando Valley. He was athletic and healthy before the life. He could golf too, always up to something.

The happy ending is I am glad to see Ronnie posting and giving lessons. I have lost other friends to the life, too many, too soon. He survived, so let's take it easy on him.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to be honest here and maybe a little blunt, but to me this is a happy ending story.

I knew Ronnie when we were teenagers. He was a phenom, as big as a talent as I've ever seen. He was always up for a cheap game anywhere, anytime, and traveled the Valley and Los Angeles hustling in literally any place there was a pool table and people with a few bucks. I ran into him everywhere.

When he wasn't robbing me for $20 on the pool table, I was backing him. Twice he asked me to back him. The first time was against Ronnie Allen playing 9 ball on a tight table at "Fast Eddie's" in North Hollywood, which Ronnie had bought, $200 races to 9. This would have been about 1975 or 1976. If I recall Ronnie Allen gave Rosas the 8 ball and lost the first set. They played even up the second set and Allen lost again. There was discussion of a game change but Allen quit. Ronnie Allen was pissed off, losing to a local kid.

The next one was at Mother's in Van Nuys. Ronnie was playing Ernesto (spotting Ernesto the last two). He was having trouble the first set but won, then easily won the second set. But I could see that Mexican Ronnie was on a bad road at that time and needed breaks to get pumped up.

I stopped playing pool and focused on my career. I always thought Ronnie would be a champion. He could have been a champion, no doubt. But somehow a troubled life can go it's own way and never find the right way back. Ronnie had a loving mom and a fine household, but the demons of, let's call it "the life", favor nobody, ever.

Ronnie was a hero to us. He was us. He was a kid who could play 9 ball with anybody. He regularly beat the top players of the day. He beat Rodney Morris in L.A. around the same time Rodney beat Efren to take the U.S. Open. The list of his victims is long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUx4OWsIZgI

He was feared by all the local shortstops. It was cricket's when he walked into the room. I learned to trust Ronnie in those days and we didn't lose. He was a tall, thin kid from a tough area in the North San Fernando Valley. He was athletic and healthy before the life. He could golf too, always up to something.

The happy ending is I am glad to see Ronnie posting and giving lessons. I have lost other friends to the life, too many, too soon. He survived, so let's take it easy on him.

Works for me, thanks.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Not blunt at all Tate, well written. I get an insight to you and Ronnie's early days. Good for Ronnie and I hope things work out.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When I moved to the Valley in 78 I was mostly a bar box player. Then I started playing on the big tables and Ronnie and I became poolhall friends along with Jerry and Tom. I heard Jerry has passed but I don’t know about Tom. We all used to play some golf and I got whooped at everything. Ron was always nice to me. I’ve seen him at plush pocket a few times recently when I was in town.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When I moved to the Valley in 78 I was mostly a bar box player. Then I started playing on the big tables and Ronnie and I became poolhall friends along with Jerry and Tom. I heard Jerry has passed but I don’t know about Tom. We all used to play some golf and I got whooped at everything. Ron was always nice to me. I’ve seen him at plush pocket a few times recently when I was in town.
Brought back memories. When I used to play at Paramount Billiards on Long Beach Blvd. Adam Brostoski was room owner. I remember you saying this in another post as I arrived 76-81 during the gas crisis, I sold motor cycles at Long Beach Honda 5115 N. Atlantic Ave. by Delamo, when Bill Bell was winning the Baja with his rebuilt 350 Honda 4 stroke engines, only to get hired on by the Factory a few yrs after that. Those engines were durable, his son Mike Bell was also winning the 2 stroke moto Super Cross pro events. You were just a kid then eh?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brought back memories. When I used to play at Paramount Billiards on Long Beach Blvd. Adam Brostoski was room owner. I remember you saying this in another post as I arrived 76-81 during the gas crisis, I sold motor cycles at Long Beach Honda 5115 N. Atlantic Ave. by Delamo, when Bill Bell was winning the Baja with his rebuilt 350 Honda 4 stroke engines, only to get hired on by the Factory a few yrs after that. Those engines were durable, his son Mike Bell was also winning the 2 stroke moto Super Cross pro events. You were just a kid then eh?
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=127 Dude could ride no doubt.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tate. I'm glad to see that Ron Rosas on a better path today. I ran into him at Hard Times about 5 years ago and it brought back some good memories. I first saw Ron play in the early 80's when I came to California and lived in San Diego. He played 9 ball at a high level and was feared by many.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Black-Balled was right....he felt MalibuMike was posting for Ron....
...nobody is that vain.
I’d like to see them both back...but more aware of common courtesy in their threads.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

The Plush Pocket was where I learned how to play. I grew up in Northridge about 5 miles or so from the Plush Pocket near CSUN. It was called Valley State College back then. The Plush Pocket was originally a family billiard center until Joe bought it in around 1978 (after being closed for awhile) and made it into a real pool hall. When it was newly opened it was quite spectacular and it was a great place. Don't know if you knew Billy Pence but he and I learned how to play together there.

Jerry Chapel was a friend of mine as well. He also was a good player and could knock off road players at any time. In fact I took him around LA and he played and beat some big names for money including Cuban Joe. Is the Tommy you're referring to the one who also made cues? Jerry did pass away an untimely death a while ago, don't exactly know from what. Jerry was a college grad and had a good job as an engineer. I think he worked for Lockheed at the time. Jerry was a cool guy. He had a really cherry Triumph TR6 and I had a TR7 - we raced a couple of times out in the parking lot (TR6 is quicker).

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Plush Pocket was where I learned how to play. I grew up in Northridge about 5 miles or so from the Plush Pocket near CSUN. It was called Valley State College back then. The Plush Pocket was originally a family billiard center until Joe bought it in around 1978 (after being closed for awhile) and made it into a real pool hall. When it was newly opened it was quite spectacular and it was a great place. Don't know if you knew Billy Pence but he and I learned how to play together there.

Jerry Chapel was a friend of mine as well. He also was a good player and could knock off road players at any time. In fact I took him around LA and he played and beat some big names for money including Cuban Joe. Is the Tommy you're referring to the one who also made cues? Jerry did pass away an untimely death a while ago, don't exactly know from what. Jerry was a college grad and had a good job as an engineer. I think he worked for Lockheed at the time. Jerry was a cool guy. He had a really cherry Triumph TR6 and I had a TR7 - we raced a couple of times out in the parking lot (TR6 is quicker).

When I get to Van Nuys I usually go to Plush Pocket. I’ve got a trip to Burbank January 23 and plan on going to Million Dollar Billiards that Thursday. I’ve got Friday and Saturday to throw in HOB and HT. Hopefully I’ll run into Ron.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'll still say pool is a stupid thing to know how to do.

It's an addictive game that can suck in any sane individual. Although I would not encourage a young relative to hang around the pool room, I did it and the connections I made lead me to my career, which I still have to this day.

I can't tell you how many times I went to Marina Billiards, Hollywood, or Duarte and pulled all nighters, then went to work the next day. Back then, the pool world was fascinating - a bunch of shady characters, real criminal types, card cheaters, con men, drug dealers - you had to watch yourself.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
But if you happen to be atall player, stooping may come into play.

From 76-81....Tall Long Beach Bill made his mark X....averaging about ten rounds per pool rom in So over a 4 yr stretch. Ask Earl about 1979 with Monroe Brock @ Paramount Billiards in Long Beach. Four sets took plus Six hours of play.

Last edited: