DCC BigFoot 10 Ball Challenge (Jan 24th-27th, 2020)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Anybody have a list of the past winners?

By year, here are the Bigfoot Challenge champions. The event has been played on the 10-footer since 2013.

Attachments

• bigfooot champions.jpg
    bigfooot champions.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 932

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The Bigfoot event (10-foot tables) started at the Southern Classic in 2012. It grew out of the DCC Fatboy Challenge (9-foot tables) that started at the DCC in 2009. Five years ago I started a thread showing the money winners from all these events, and I update it each year: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=387852

Arguable whether the Bigfoot is the continuation of the Fatboy event that it replaced.

The Fatboy 10-ball had sessions that began at midnight up to the semifinals. The races were to fifteen, were sometimes not even on the main level of the arena, and the matches sometimes didn't finish until 4:00 AM, and I recall Mikka and Charlie Bryant playing until nearly 5:00 AM one year. Few people saw much of the first twelve matches, because they were scheduled to avoid getting in the way of the core events at the Derby.

The Fatboy event was not fan friendly and was ultimately replaced by the Bigfoot Challenge, a new event conceived by Jay Helfert and Greg Sullivan played on the ten footer with a significantly stronger field and with all the matches streamed.

That said, the Fatboy event deserves credit for getting ten ball onto the slate
at Derby City and can be said to have inspired the addition of the Bigfoot.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Arguable whether the Bigfoot is the continuation of the Fatboy event that it replaced.

The Fatboy 10-ball had sessions that began at midnight up to the semifinals. The races were to fifteen, were sometimes not even on the main level of the arena, and the matches sometimes didn't finish until 4:00 AM, and I recall Mikka and Charlie Bryant playing until nearly 5:00 AM one year. Few people saw much of the first twelve matches, because they were scheduled to avoid getting in the way of the core events at the Derby.

The Fatboy event was not fan friendly and was ultimately replaced by the Bigfoot Challenge, a new event conceived by Jay Helfert and Greg Sullivan played on the ten footer with a significantly stronger field and with all the matches streamed.

That said, the Fatboy event deserves credit for getting ten ball onto the slate
at Derby City and can be said to have inspired the addition of the Bigfoot.

My terminology was that the Bigfoot event "grew out of" the Fatboy Challenge. The Fatboy 10-Ball Challenge was introduced to the DCC in 2009 on 9-footers -- 16 players with an entry fee of $1,000, same as today. Eric "Fatboy" Peterson provided $4,000 in added money, for a total purse of $20,000. Jay Helfert was the tournament director from the start. The field was strong: Appleton, Bryant, Bustamante, Chamat, Corteza, Dechaine, Deuel, Inmmonen, Martinez, Moore, Morra, Parica, Pinnegar, Reyes, Souquet, Van Boening.

The "Fatboy" events continued at DCC through 2012. Then, for the new Southern Classic event later in 2012, they switched to 10-footers and dropped the Fatboy name because Eric was no longer involved. With sponsorship from Diamond Billiards, it became the Diamond 10-Ball Challenge.

For the 2013 DCC, they expanded to 32 players (still $1,000 entry), had the largest 1st prize of all the events, $20,000, and paid 8 places instead of the 4 at all the others. Jay asked AzB members to suggest a new name, and "Bigfoot" was chosen. So it has been the Diamond Bigfoot 10-Ball Challenge since then, including at the 2013 Southern Classic.

All events since the one at the 2013 DCC have been 16 players, $1,000 entry, and $16,000 added. Jay Helfert is no longer involved.

As far as fan (and player) friendliness yes, things are far better now than originally. But I think the streaming of all the matches by Accu-Stats from the same table started with DCC 2014, not with either of the 2 previous "Bigfoot" events (2013 DCC and Southern Classic).

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I wonder if it will be on my table.

Well it wasn’t mine but I was the only regular player in the Sun City West rec room that played on it. The rec room gave it back to Diamond in exchange for a nine footer. The mechanic that took it told me it would be going to Derby City. They had it removed because the corner pockets were 4”. It is listed in Dr. Dave’s toughness list .

I would love to watch if that will be the table used for this event.

Oh yea the TDF is 1.31

Last edited:

harleydon1950

Registered
I see a few that could be replaced. With lets say Kaci, Kazakis, Chang, and little Ko. Alex and Kaci played on the Europe mosconi team. I like Melling and I like Cory Duel, Cortez, but they could be replaced. There are better players out there. Just my opinion. Go USA

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Gorst's home table is a 10' it's a shame - time for a new location.

And that's how he's insane in the 9' table! this is kinda crazy that I am thinking of this, if you practice on 9' all the time I think 8' will be so easy, similarly if you practice on 10' all the time, then maybe 9' will be easy, which is what it became for him!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here we go

Brackets

bigfoot bracket.jpg

1st match Live now -SVB v Roberto Gomez
(Race to 11, Winner breaks)

Gomez wins lag

b0-0.JPG

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex is playing great

Billy just not getting many opportunities.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200124-153930.jpg
    Screenshot_20200124-153930.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 747

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take Alex and 3.25-1 to win it all from here. GAL Electronic cash transfer only

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson vs Skylar is a match to watch!! I hope it's not the last matchup of the day because I'm asleep at that time.

Oh btw, Alex seems to finally got rid of his brown ferrule shaft, I think he's secretly playing with a Meucci The Pro shaft, unsponsored.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can Billy make this BIH combo in the side?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200124-161242.jpg
    Screenshot_20200124-161242.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 737

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson vs Skylar is a match to watch!! I hope it's not the last matchup of the day because I'm asleep at that time.

Oh btw, Alex seems to finally got rid of his brown ferrule shaft, I think he's secretly playing with a Meucci The Pro shaft, unsponsored.

Ferrule seems way too long for that.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex advances to play Shane.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200124-162028__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200124-162028__01.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 707