Marys Palace, Jackson, Miss.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Does anyone remember this place. I would drive from Houston to visit my sister and Marys opened at mid nite til 6 am. A loud band and at least 1 fight an hour. The had a few tables and action from mid nite til day light. Never saw another place even close t it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone remember this place. I would drive from Houston to visit my sister and Marys opened at mid nite til 6 am. A loud band and at least 1 fight an hour. The had a few tables and action from mid nite til day light. Never saw another place even close t it.

Grady told me a funny story that may have been about that place. I was in Memphis and ran into Grady at the poolroom Louie used to play at (I forget the name at the moment). I told Grady I was heading down to New Orleans and then over to Florida. He looked at me and kind of laughed. He said when you go through Jackson there is one place to avoid. I think it was the same place you talk about here, but I can't remember what he called it back then.

Anyway, he tells me that he got steered to this spot when he could get action and Grady was never one to avoid going anywhere. He said he got into a game with some guy and ended up busting him for all his money. He said the guy was always polite while they were playing and never said too much while he was losing, so Grady goes to shake his hand and the guy punches him in the mouth, giving him a bloody lip.

Grady is rubbing his mouth and looks at the guy and asks him why he did that. The guy just smiled at him and said that was his way of saying thank you!

Last edited:

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I once played in a place in Mississippi where there was a guy who walked the floor with an ax handle. They told me he was the bouncer. Don't remember where it was.

That was High Pockets in Memphis where Louie used to play. Before that he was in the Golden Cue.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once played in a place in Mississippi where there was a guy who walked the floor with an ax handle. They told me he was the bouncer. Don't remember where it was.

That was High Pockets in Memphis where Louie used to play. Before that he was in the Golden Cue.

Thanks, it was High Pockets, before Jim Stricklin took over.