Sigel 150&out vs. Zuglan 1992

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Accu-stats has given us a great early Christmas present. They have uploaded Mike Sigel's remarkable 150-and-out straight pool run against Mike Zuglan from the 1992 U.S. Open Straight Pool Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYGYGrChn5A

Besides the run, which is amazing for the total control Sigel shows, you get two great commentators in Grady Mathews and Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know why I’m doing tonight! I LOVE this match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the match that Mosconi and Caras watched?
I heard a story that after the 150 and out Caras asked Mosconi what he thought.
Mosconi replied "Too many crossing patterns"
Caras replied "But he did run 150"
Or something close to the above.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member

I'm not sure if they watched this match, but at least Mosconi was in the audience during the finals when Sigel played Dallas West.

What's crazy about this is Zuglan just fries in the chair, and then gets up and runs 148 his next match!

This US Open had some really solid matches.

Also, being from NJ, shoutout to Cosmo the ref who can be seen throughout some of the matches here. He's in the background on this one.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Yes, they were both in attendance, seated next to each other, although what they said to each other isn't something I'm able to pass along.

I'd been hopeful of taking a photo with the two of them when the match ended but forgot. There wouldn't be another opportunity, as Willie passed away in 1993.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Also, being from NJ, shoutout to Cosmo the ref who can be seen throughout some of the matches here. He's in the background on this one.
I think that would be Carson Ransom who has also worked some other Accu-Stats events like the Make-It-Happen series.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always love that match. Someone has to get Pat to put the Sigel/Rempe match on DVD. Bob, you are just the guy to get it done.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also had the sheer, mesmerizing pleasure of watching this astonishingly skillful performance by Mike in-person in '92 and bought the recording of it as soon as it came out. I continue to watch it before many of my 14.1 tournament games; it's always been a major stimulant for me.

So handy to have it freely available to aficionados & students now on YT because I've recommended this video for years to folks I've been regularly coaching in the nuances of playing 14.1.

I think I may be correct in guessing (and hoping) that the producers of the video have professionally sensed that the media discussion and word-of-mouth reports related to Schmidt's 626 reflect a newly-aroused and growing interest in 14.1.

The video producers themselves have -- in recent years -- made their own commendable contributions to keeping the game alive and thriving via their many organized and sponsored 14.1 tournaments and taping sessions.

Many thanks, Bob for apprising us of the upload and the link to it.

Arnaldo

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accu-stats has given us a great early Christmas present. They have uploaded Mike Sigel's remarkable 150-and-out straight pool run against Mike Zuglan from the 1992 U.S. Open Straight Pool Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYGYGrChn5A

Besides the run, which is amazing for the total control Sigel shows, you get two great commentators in Grady Mathews and Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton.

Thank you for posting the link! I first heard of this match when I started playing pool and have never seen it. I've always wanted to watch it as a learning tool for playing proper straight pool patterns. Happy holidays to you and many thanks to Accu-Stats as well!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
After the match, Zuglan made the legendary comment "I really need to practice my lag."

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What did Mosconi mean by "Too many crossing patterns"?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
What did Mosconi mean by "Too many crossing patterns"?

As someone who plays straight pool near* mosconi’s level I’d have to say he meant moving across the table too often without having dealt with that quadrant first. Bouncing around.

*the earth is ‘near’ the sun. Close enough that it keeps us alive in the frosty abyss.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
thank you so much, Bob!

i had a bad copy of this, probably 2nd or 3rd generation, from youtube some years back. it's wonderful to see it more clearly!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this - I remember attending this tournament for a few days. The early 90s had a nice run of 14.1 in NYC with this group.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this - I remember attending this tournament for a few days. The early 90s had a nice run of 14.1 in NYC with this group.

The event started earlier. I refereed 24 matches in the 1980 edition which was also at the Roosevelt Hotel. That was before Accu-Stats was taping matches.

Edit: the 1992 event seems to have had a different sanctioning body and promoter than in 1980, but it's not clear.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone make a comparison between this run and Irving Cranes run of 150 and out against Joe Balsis?

I will say this about Mikes run.
Patterns and shot selection is always subjective.
But his cue ball control was near perfect.