Dr. Dave just retired from his "day job"

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am happy to announce that I just turned in my final grades and finished my final duties as a university professor. This was my 30th and final year. Now I will have more time to dedicate to my billiards career. I don't plan to work a lot harder than I already have on my billiards stuff, but I do look forward to creating many more YouTube instructional videos. I also look forward to traveling to some of the billiards events (Mosconi Cup, US Open, SBE, Derby City, etc.) I have not been able to attend in the past due to being a slave to the semester schedule. Maybe I'll also write another pool book. My website and the countless articles I have written for Billiards Digest are a good first draft.

It feels good to not need to do all of the things that need to be done as a university professor. I enjoyed the career very much, but it was demanding at times.

My main New Year's Resolution is to play a lot more pool.

Happy Holidays,
Dave

PS: For those who did not know what my "day job" entailed (and are interested), the following two videos describe some of it:

interview dealing with how Dr. Dave incorporated his passion for pool into the engineering classroom

examples of what Dr. Dave's students did in the Mechatronics course he developed and taught

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations Dave! Time to take a break and run away from academia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrishogan14

Registered
Congratulations, and thanks so much for 30 years of instilling curiosity and critical thinking in all of the students that passed through your classroom.

I look forward to enjoying all the new videos and articles to come!!!!

Chris

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everybody for the good wishes and supportive comments.

I appreciate it,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Time to take a break and run away from academia.
Many people seem to have a hard time "running away" from academia, and some return to keep teaching or doing research. I have no such plans. I already gave all of my teaching stuff away. I have no plans to return. Billiards is all I need going forward.

Regards,
Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ft. Collins will never be the same!

Huge news, dave...and an even hugerer CONGRATULATIONS on your life's achievements.

We're lucky to be able to say you're one of us.

Brizzle

Registered
Congrats. Looking forward to more you tube videos.
If you make it to derby city. I would like to say hi and thank you in person for all your videos and buy you a drink.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Happy retirement, buddy!! Your posts around here have always been amongst my favorites to read!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ft. Collins will never be the same!
I actually plan to stay in Fort Collins. It is a beautiful place and many people actually retire here, so why move?

Huge news, dave...and an even hugerer CONGRATULATIONS on your life's achievements.

We're lucky to be able to say you're one of us.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats. Looking forward to more you tube videos.
If you make it to derby city. I would like to say hi and thank you in person for all your videos and buy you a drink.
I hope to meet lots of people at future events. That's one thing I really look forward to.

See you in the future, I hope,
Dave