Chess is on Fox Sports

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chess is on right now on Fox Sports Midwest. It is interesting to me they are talking about a big chess club with historical museum in St. Louis. This is the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis. Chess has an actual museum - wow. If chess can be on TV makes you wonder why pool is not getting more coverage.

Pool promoters need to check into getting more local or regional coverage on TV. Butts in the seats would happen if more people knew events were going on and then pool events could gain some income via the door/tickets. Perhaps something from sponsorship.

upindaklub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
look at the NHL. They should have found a way to stay on ESPN most likely. But they found a way to make it work on NBC sports network and when multiple playoff games are on they use CNBC as well. Pool could be on Bravo, USA, Spike it doesn't have to be on ESPN to start with. There are so many channels today, just get on a network and people will find you. Twitter, Facebook etc., the word can spread but you gotta start somewhere. A reality show featuring Bonus Ball and Earl and you could have the next Lil Scrappy and Love & Hip Hop Atlanta!

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people are just happy enough with the live stream and kinda don't seem to be putting forth the effort. It seems like you would have to put in a lot of your own money to get it going before you would see it paying off. I'm not saying people should do it to make big bucks but no one wants to lose out

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I really like the idea of pool on FX or Spike. AND there are chess clubs in high schools and middle schools. They say it helps kids think. I say put a kid on a pool table and teach him Geometry and physics. Most geometry teachers now are football or basketball coaches that let you slide by on grades anyway. Throw 8 pool tables in a room and let class begin. Hands on learning.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I think people are just happy enough with the live stream and kinda don't seem to be putting forth the effort. It seems like you would have to put in a lot of your own money to get it going before you would see it paying off. I'm not saying people should do it to make big bucks but no one wants to lose out

Pool will continue to be as it is if it is depending on live streams in the future. No one but "some" pool players will pay to watch a live stream. There are those that want it to stay that way (those it affects). I would rather see the game where it deserves to be, on prime time...

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
I really like the idea of pool on FX or Spike. AND there are chess clubs in high schools and middle schools. They say it helps kids think. I say put a kid on a pool table and teach him Geometry and physics. Most geometry teachers now are football or basketball coaches that let you slide by on grades anyway. Throw 8 pool tables in a room and let class begin. Hands on learning.

Hi Allen,

If I may, I'd like to cross-post a comment I made earlier today, in another thread, only because I think it is pertinent to your comment. Here's the other thread:

Is the "hustler" image good or bad for the game?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=321888

I agree with you 100%. My (now ex-) wife was a high school physics teacher...

A few years ago, my wife and I tried to start a Billiards Club at the high school where she was a science teacher. We had several hundred students sign the petition, we had an arrangement all set up with a local "family" pool hall, and we had administrative (ie by-laws), instructional, and league support from the BEF.

But we ran into two major roadblocks that kept the Club from ever forming.

1. Many of the parents would not allow their children in a pool hall because of the seedy image of pool.

2. Most of the administrators at the high school (and the district head office) would not endorse the Club because of the seedy image of pool.

It was heartbreaking because we had put so much work into it, and because so many kids were excited about learning to play pool. I'm sure some of them will eventually learn to play, but many will not.

Incidentally, two years after our failed attempt, the pool hall that had been so generous to the effort suddenly closed their doors. The building is now used as a small shopping center.

I can see how the "seedy" reputation of pool attracts some folks to the game, but from our perspective, it sure kept a lot of folks away from the game.

-Blake

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Chess is on right now on Fox Sports Midwest.

wow. If chess can be on TV makes you wonder why pool is not getting more coverage.

Dana, you must be a mind reader. This morning, I was actually thinking about Pool vs Chess on TV, as I was pumping gas.

Weird, but true.

-Blake

FordSVTCobra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are these televised chess matches live? If so, is there a time limit?

Or are they recorded and edited?

I enjoy chess but can't imagine the pain of actually watching a match on tv.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I love 1pkt and a good chess game. I can watch 1pkt for hours, but chess, maybe 5 minutes. :smile:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chess

Chess is on right now on Fox Sports Midwest. It is interesting to me they are talking about a big chess club with historical museum in St. Louis. This is the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis. Chess has an actual museum - wow. If chess can be on TV makes you wonder why pool is not getting more coverage.

Pool promoters need to check into getting more local or regional coverage on TV. Butts in the seats would happen if more people knew events were going on and then pool events could gain some income via the door/tickets. Perhaps something from sponsorship.

Over her in the UK 8 ball pool is a game of Chess ! :eek::wink::cool::grin-square:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Professional level chess is on a clock. It's not a shot clock like pool or basketball; it's a cumulative clock...much, much tougher. Each player is allotted the same amount of time to make all his moves; use up your time with slow decisions and you'll lose the game just by running out of time.

The result is that the first 20 moves happen so fast it's hard even for a diehard chess fan to keep up without intense concentration.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Internet Web-Site streams !

Pool will continue to be as it is if it is depending on live streams in the future. No one but "some" pool players will pay to watch a live stream. There are those that want it to stay that way (those it affects). I would rather see the game where it deserves to be, on prime time...

I was a kid when I watched The World Of Sports On ITV TV in the UK back in the day but I always remember the day they showed a clip of Jim Rempe winning a tournamet & he jumped up onto the table waving the flag . Yeah those where the days my friend !

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 Player Games...

Dana, you must be a mind reader. This morning, I was actually thinking about Pool vs Chess on TV, as I was pumping gas.

Weird, but true.

-Blake

They are all Chess matches.

Snooker,Pool,Darts,Tennis etc.

It's all in the head & thats why they are the best to play/watch ! :thumbup:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Computer Chess

Professional level chess is on a clock. It's not a shot clock like pool or basketball; it's a cumulative clock...much, much tougher. Each player is allotted the same amount of time to make all his moves; use up your time with slow decisions and you'll lose the game just by running out of time.

The result is that the first 20 moves happen so fast it's hard even for a diehard chess fan to keep up without intense concentration.

I used to play chess when I was a kid @ school but lost interest when I went to High School but for some reason I took an interest again when Nigel Short played Gary Kasparov :

Here's The Scotch game from their match :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxmYFKSenJM

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was a one hour overview of the entire tournament. They did have some sport center time move reviews a little bit to fast in my opinion but then I am not a chess master. It was pumping chess up and also giving some info out about the players the young ones who won matches and then it was on to the old ones who had won the whole thing before and then of course the eventual winner. It was only an hour but they got a lot of info out. I play a little chess and now if I am in St. Louis I might look that place up, that is what exposure does for a sport or venue it makes veiwers want to visit or participate in some way and it allows sponsors to get viewers to see what they are sponsoring

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am super pumped for this match! I was working and only caught the tail end when it was a pretty well established draw. Magnus just seemed to be putting Fabi through the wringer and wanted to wear him down or something.

Next week I will have chess on one screen and Alex/Tony on the other. That is as good as life gets for me. ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People actually watch OTHER people play chess??? I've seen the old farts in the 'hall watch other old farts play gin. Whatever floats your boat but i think i would enjoy a root-canal with a butter knife about as much. I hope i never get that bored. ;)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the World Chess Championship Spassky Vs Fisher in 72? or so from Reykjavik, Iceland on the PBS channel. I still remember that Shelby Lyman was the host in the same wrinkled suit every day and between moves, he and a panel from the Manhattan Chess Club which included Edmar Mednes (SP?) would speculate on the next move and or critique the last move. I had never heard of Shelby or Edmar but always remembered them.

Of course it was Russia VS the USA and the young punk vs the 'old pro' which helped with the audience. I was never even a semi serious chess player but i enjoyed watching that.