Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page I didn't trust my cue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I didn't trust my cue
Old
  (#1)
8onthebreak
THE WORLD IS YOURS
8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute8onthebreak has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

I didn't trust my cue - 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM

How important is TRUST in your cue?
I was playing league match e other night, and decided that this night...I would play with my New Cue I recently bought...I normally play wih predator 314 shafts on all my cues, but haven't been able to find a pre-cat 3/8X11 314 yet for This cue...(hint, hint)... So I practiced with it for an hour before match start and thought...IT'S NOT BAD...regarding deflection differences,...I was able to make simple adjustments for the slight increased deflection...and it played REALLY GOOD!!!

So I used it in my first game and missed TWICE with it, broke it down, put it away, finished the match with my normal player and played lights out!!!

My team-mate laughed and asked me if I thought it was because of that cue, to which I replied...hell no...I'm just mind F$@&ing myself with it...I need to get out there and practice more with it so I know I can trust it. it was just easier to switch to the old one than to fight thru it.

How much do you rely on trust in your cue?

WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING........IT'S THE ONLY THING! Lombardi

HUSH CUE - 1st Ever, LTD EDN, controversial, AZ HUSH CUE
Playing Cue - James White, Tascarella
Break cue - Carmeli 1/1 custom jump break
Jump cue - Lomax
Case - Instroke SW 3X6

Last edited by 8onthebreak; 10-21-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled

Old
  (#2)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

10-21-2012, 02:29 PM

For me it's the other way around
My cues lose trust in me all the time, but I never know when it's going to happen.
I think they are insecure because of all the cue trading I do.
My cases are even starting to turn on me.

player...Paul Mottey, Joel Hercek, Larry Vigus
player...Barry Szamboti, South West, Bob Runde
player...A-E, Lomax, Phillippi, Terry McFadden
player...Harvey Martin, Bob Frey, Kent Davis
player...Bob Owen, Paul Drexler, Woodworth
player...Dave Jones, Predator, Loveland Customs
breaker.Judd Fuller
jumper..Jacoby Jumper
shooter..Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter.....Spyderco Massad Ayoob

Old
  (#3)
thefonz
It's not me...it's my ADD
thefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-21-2012, 02:33 PM

don't really care about the cue, but once i lose trust in the tip, it's time to cut it off.

Old
  (#4)
murphys_law
Registered
murphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond reputemurphys_law has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2012, 02:35 PM

Absolutely!! A large part of pool is confidence that you can make a shot. When I switch cues before playing with in league I have to practice and run drills with them for days.

Playing cue: Ariel Carmeli
Break cue: McDermott M205 w/OB break shaft
Case: JB Rugged

Old
  (#5)
Webbs Billiards
Billiards Dealer
Webbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond reputeWebbs Billiards has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

10-21-2012, 03:34 PM

One of the best reasons for a new player to have their own cue is consistency. Playing with the same cue builds confidence and comfort. Bringing a new cue into your game should be done a little at the time, similar to breaking in a new pair of boots. I would imagine that its your comfort with your player that made you lose confidence in the newer one. My suggestion is just as you said, practice with it until you are more used to it.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply

It's mostly the tip
Old
  (#6)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

It's mostly the tip - 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Hi 8,

I just told my wife last weak, that I'm cheating on her. She said, WHAT?

I said yeah, I think I'm in love with Adam Balabushka. She said, WHAT?

I said yeah, I really love my pool cue with the new shafts. It feels like it's part of me just coming right out of my arm through my hand.

She said, that's good, I'm glad.

That being said, I can play fairly well with almost anything, even a crooked bar cue as long as it has a good tip on it. Recently, I even broke down Bushak & beat a guy with a severely crooked bar cue after he made fun of it. I actually had been using it to break with.

That being said, a coulpe of weeks ago, a cool front came through & the Buska with the OB Classic was just not getting it done. So I switched to the McD i2 & everything was fine. I have different tips on each of them.

To answer your question, there are times when I really want my cue & times when it just does not matter that much. What's important is that I'm comfortable with whatever is in my hand & I'm not worrying about it.

I would probably have done the same thing you did & you're correct, you just need to build confidence in it & geting the 314 might help that out.

Hope this helps, if help is what you were looking for.

Regards,

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 10-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old
  (#7)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2012, 05:07 PM

I didn't trust my third wife either, but you didn't see me getting rid of her.
Wait a second. I did get rid of her.
If you can't trust it, get rid of it!

Old
  (#8)
naji
AzB Silver Member
naji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond reputenaji has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8onthebreak View Post
I was playing league match e other night, and decided that this night...I would play with my New Cue I recently bought...I normally play wih predator 314 shafts on all my cues, but haven't been able to find a pre-cat 3/8X11 314 yet for This cue...(hint, hint)... So I practiced with it for an hour before match start and thought...IT'S NOT BAD...regarding deflection differences,...I was able to make simple adjustments for the slight increased deflection...and it played REALLY GOOD!!!

So I used it in my first game and missed TWICE with it, broke it down, put it away, finished the match with my normal player and played lights out!!!

My team-mate laughed and asked me if I thought it was because of that cue, to which I replied...hell no...I'm just mind F$@&ing myself with it...I need to get out there and practice more with it so I know I can trust it. it was just easier to switch to the old one than to fight thru it.

You need to learn your cue first, know how it behaves with english, then it is the rider not the horse.
Aim right, and follow through all you need.

Old
  (#9)
dr9ball
"Lock Doctor"
dr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3000

10-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbs Billiards View Post
One of the best reasons for a new player to have their own cue is consistency. Playing with the same cue builds confidence and comfort. Bringing a new cue into your game should be done a little at the time, similar to breaking in a new pair of boots. I would imagine that its your comfort with your player that made you lose confidence in the newer one. My suggestion is just as you said, practice with it until you are more used to it.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply
I will agree with you that having your own cue is a good thing however I would also say that one should be able to play off the wall also. Some would see it as a sign of weakness if a player couldn't run 3 balls unless they had their prized cue. Far too many want to buy something new instead of putting the time into developing their game.

Imagine in a sword battle if you lost your sword but another sword was in your reach...the warrior who is dependent on only one weapon might be in a tough place in that situation. I'm all for having your own cue, I own several and it doesn't take very long to adjust from one to the other. It's in my opinion, sad when people believe they can't play unless they play with a particular cue. (Assuming that the cue has a half way decent tip and isn't horribly warped, has a broken or loose ferrule etc.) they should be able to adjust, adapt and overcome.

That's just how I see it and I'm probably in the minority on this.

Rufus

PBIA Certified Instructor and Proud Member of the SPF Family of Instructors

If you like piano music here's my Fan Page check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/Rufus-Carte...pp/2405167945/

Old
  (#10)
scsuxci
AzB Silver Member
scsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

This to me is a Prime example of what happens when you become a cue junkie.
If you play lights out with the cue you normally play with,then why
even change?My guess is maybe the look or the addiction of
playing with different cues.
For me I know there's no cue that I'll never miss with but play with a
cue that 95% of the shots feel comfortable for me.There's always
shots that every player fears.
Collect cues,flip cues,try cues ,but if you're lucky enough to have found
a cue you shoot lights out with don't change, you may never find
another one.

Old
  (#11)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr9ball View Post
I will agree with you that having your own cue is a good thing however I would also say that one should be able to play off the wall also. Some would see it as a sign of weakness if a player couldn't run 3 balls unless they had their prized cue. Far too many want to buy something new instead of putting the time into developing their game.

Imagine in a sword battle if you lost your sword but another sword was in your reach...the warrior who is dependent on only one weapon might be in a tough place in that situation. I'm all for having your own cue, I own several and it doesn't take very long to adjust from one to the other. It's in my opinion, sad when people believe they can't play unless they play with a particular cue. (Assuming that the cue has a half way decent tip and isn't horribly warped, has a broken or loose ferrule etc.) they should be able to adjust, adapt and overcome.

That's just how I see it and I'm probably in the minority on this.

I agree with Dr.9. I have 8 cues from a graphite to my LD's on the Adam & I rotate them all, plus off the wall, in between playing with the Adam GB. It keeps you in tune to & flexible to different playing characteristics.

It's knid of like when Roy Hobbs broke his 'Wonder Boy' bat & simply said to the bat boy, 'Go pick me out a good one, Bobby' & then hit the home run with the boy's bat that he helped him make.

All I really need is a good tip that will hold chalk & is not too thin. The tip that is. That being said, they all hit differently, some better than others. But I never blame a mis on the cue. It's my inability to properly use it that is at fault, not the cue.

Old
  (#12)
BigDaddyInc.
AzB Silver Member
BigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond reputeBigDaddyInc. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 850

10-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Trust in your cue is very important, i trusted in my mcdermott for many years and now the shaft is slightly crooked drives me nuts! So time for new cue.

I ain't here to rob, get robbed, or rob nobody!

"This is not a valid image file" When i try to put a pic on my avatar! But of course the tazmanian devil is va lid!

"This is the only sport i know, where they punish you for getting better" Bucky Bell.

Old
  (#13)
bearsafety
AzB Silver Member
bearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:

The difference between a 314 and and standard shaft.. thats your problem. Its not just the deflection but 314's have a WHOLE different feel to them.

Old
  (#14)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
10-21-2012, 10:17 PM

I don't ever think about whether I can trust my cue or not, because I simply keep the same one year after year. I know exactly what will happen when I hit a ball with it. It's completely reliable and consistent. There's no adjustment to factor in because nothing changes. If the tip gets worn, I get the same tip. If I bash the shaft, I get the same shaft.

I'll never understand "cue guys". They shoot themselves in the foot by switching constantly. I've never been overcome with the beauty of a cue and decided I needed to get out my wallet and throw away years of familiarity.

The next time you miss a ball, don't let superstitious nonsense convince you that it's the cue's fault. You just missed.

If it really is a matter of adjustment, you'll never adjust if you unscrew it after 2 shots. Kills me to watch a buddy of mine, he's had a predator shaft for 5 months, but every so often after missing a ball he'll screw on the old meucci. It's like watching a dude get married than keep coming back to the ex-girlfriend even though he knows he's wrecking the marriage.

Old
  (#15)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-22-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:

I generally feel that I can pick up almost any cue and play about as good as I normally do. BUT if I pick up a cue that really feels off then it bothers me to the point that it affects my stroke and that degrades my game.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: