Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page "Hustling": Is It Sleazy Or Clever (Or Both)?
View Poll Results: Is "Hustling" Sleazy, Clever, or Both?
I Think Hustling Is Sleazy. 129 39.94%
I Think Hustling Is Clever. 40 12.38%
I Think Hustling Is Both Sleazy & Clever. 154 47.68%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Page 15 of 19 « First 5131415 1617 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#211)
caff3in3
AzB Silver Member
caff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond reputecaff3in3 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-11-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
Ya know most of the general public that either doesn't play or plays very little use the term " hustler " for anyone they perceive as really good at pool. It's used generically and interchangeable with " pool shark " too. So to the general public the term " hustler " doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation.
I think there is a vast difference in how people in this thread define hustling as well. I think hustling is wrong but that is by my definition which I think is quite different than some of the "pro hustling " posters on thread. Take pt for example, most of what he is posting just sounds like gambling to me and not trying to essentially rob someone (which is what I consider hustling).

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#212)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2016, 03:15 PM

I've not read the thread, but how about it's like stealing. sort of like when the fix is in on a horse race or a boxing match.

It was only a movie...but...

Eddie got his thumbs broken.

PS satan invented deception, I think.

Old
  (#213)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-11-2016, 04:30 PM

just happened to have my TV on an hour ago and tuned in to cbs when the Evening News w/ Scott Pelle was coming on.

The opening summary of stories to come on included an announcement that the venerable reporter, Morley Safer, was retiring after 50+ years at cbs. The clip they chose was from the following interview he did with Gleason. In the tease they left in the Safer voice over where he refers to Gleason as "a 68 year old hustler."

As he prepares to shoot, Gleason asks, "you sure you don't have any money?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWcRxg8fCY

Carry on.

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#214)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
just happened to have my TV on an hour ago and tuned in to cbs when the Evening News w/ Scott Pelle was coming on.

The opening summary of stories to come on included an announcement that the venerable reporter, Morley Safer, was retiring after 50+ years at cbs. The clip they chose was from the following interview he did with Gleason. In the tease they left in the Safer voice over where he refers to Gleason as "a 68 year old hustler."

As he prepares to shoot, Gleason asks, "you sure you don't have any money?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWcRxg8fCY

Carry on.

best,
brian kc
Did you notice, KC, that they were using Centennials with a blue circle cue ball.
So many TV shows and movies show the equivalent of drug store golf balls....
....but The Great One was a POOL PLAYER....uses the real thing.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#215)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2016, 05:39 PM

yep, agreed, pt, Jackie was the real deal.

In this old 20/20 clip (this is part 2) Hugh Downs and Jackie get into the Hustler a little and mention his "life long passion" for playing pool.

Plus we get a glimpse of his "play room" at his Florida home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdbzJ8bZSgA

best,
brian kc

Old
  (#216)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
yep, agreed, pt, Jackie was the real deal.

In this old 20/20 clip (this is part 2) Hugh Downs and Jackie get into the Hustler a little and mention his "life long passion" for playing pool.

Plus we get a glimpse of his "play room" at his Florida home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdbzJ8bZSgA

best,
brian kc
Fran Crimi, not long ago, basically said that his PR was way better than his game & that he really was not that good at all.

I was a bit surprised.

Old
  (#217)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

05-11-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
Fran Crimi, not long ago, basically said that his PR was way better than his game & that he really was not that good at all.

I was a bit surprised.
Don't know if he was ever good enough to be considered an A or even a B player but it's pretty clear he loved the game and I think he looked pretty comfortable with a stick in his hand.

best,
brian kc

Old
  (#218)
ENGLISH!
Banned

05-11-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Don't know if he was ever good enough to be considered an A or even a B player but it's pretty clear he loved the game and I think he looked pretty comfortable with a stick in his hand.

best,
brian kc
Yeah, I posted a pic of him & the line of his forearm & made a comment & Fran came back with her stories & I was a bit surprised.

Best to Ya,
Rick

Old
  (#219)
KissedOut
AzB Silver Member
KissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I think you're simplifying this situation a little too much.
LOSING your money doesn't make you a decent person.
Some of my nicest wins came from people hustling ME.

And I, for one, do not justify and rationalize my gambling habits....
....I've always liked the excitement and pressure of being in action...
...AND IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WITH PEOPLE THAT THINK THE SAME WAY.
Gambling <>Hustling

One can be an honest gambler, but it is impossible to be an honest hustler. Losing money doesn't make you a decent person. Being honest does, even if the result is losing money.

Old
  (#220)
KissedOut
AzB Silver Member
KissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
Ya know most of the general public that either doesn't play or plays very little use the term " hustler " for anyone they perceive as really good at pool. It's used generically and interchangeable with " pool shark " too. So to the general public the term " hustler " doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation.
That is probably why the OP made it crystal clear what HE meant by hustler for purposes of the thread.

To refresh out memory:

Quote:
I am curious to know how fellow azers feel about "hustling", whether or not it's sleazy or if it's clever or possibly even a combination of the two.

To be clear, you can be a money player without being a "Hustler" but almost always a "Hustler" plays for money or some other tangible prize.

For the purpose of this poll we will define "hustler" as someone who hides their true speed, hides who they really are by disguise or other means, or says or does anything else that is not true in an attempt to give themselves some kind of an edge.

It will be a straightforward 3 option poll.

Thanks in advance for your votes and feel free to add your thoughts and comments in the thread.

Last edited by KissedOut; 05-11-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Old
  (#221)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissedOut View Post
That is probably why the OP made it crystal clear what HE meant by hustler for purposes of the thread.

To refresh out memory:
Yes, I am aware but thank you for clarifying for anyone that didnt. I only added this to the discussion as another angle in regards to what was initially being discussed.

Old
  (#222)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2016, 06:09 AM

This has been a good discussion and many folks have provided some very good points. With that said, I am going to stick with my earlier sentiment that while not all but I'd bet a good portion of people that have posted in this thread saying this or that are saying one thing here on AZ but when it comes down to it while they are out in the pool hall or bar would actually do the complete opposite . People like money and that is just a fact. If they fall as backwards into what looks like will turn into a score I'm saying they are gonna get that money - plain and simple . No need to argue or rebut this because this is only my personal opinion and there really is no way of proving or disproving it.

Old
  (#223)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

05-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissedOut View Post
Gambling <>Hustling

One can be an honest gambler, but it is impossible to be an honest hustler. Losing money doesn't make you a decent person. Being honest does, even if the result is losing money.
imo honesty is just one piece of the puzzle that contributes to whether a person is decent or not. There are lots of other factors.

Is it okay to have *any* larceny in our blood? And if so, how much is okay?

Was Toupee Jay Helfert a bad man for giving himself an edge going into towns with or without the hairpiece?

Or to be considered bad does it have to rise to the level of, saya Bernie Madoff, whose schemes bankrupted and ruined so many good people who placed their trust in him?

Is there a difference in these two examples?

best,
brian kc

Last edited by Kickin' Chicken; 05-12-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Old
  (#224)
(((Satori)))
AzB Silver Member
(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
imo honesty is just one piece of the puzzle that contributes to whether a person is decent or not. There are lots of other factors.

Is it okay to have *any* larceny in our blood? And if so, how much is okay?

Was Toupee Jay Helfert a bad man for giving himself an edge going into towns with or without the hairpiece to gain an edge?

Or to be considered bad does it have to rise to the level of, saya Bernie Madoff, whose schemes bankrupted and ruined so many good people who placed their trust in him?

Is there a difference in these two examples?

best,
brian kc
If you are ok with what you do then why do you need to hear it's ok from others?

Old
  (#225)
jburkm002
AzB Silver Member
jburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2016, 07:22 AM

Do you need to win a certain amount to be considered hustling?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 19 « First 5131415 1617 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: