Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Chalk MAKERS, HEADS-UP!
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Chalk MAKERS, HEADS-UP!
Old
  (#1)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

Thumbs up Chalk MAKERS, HEADS-UP! - 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM

I sure wish Predator, Blue Diamond or Master chalk would start selling a cue tip chalk that had a thin, metal washer under the wrapper and bottom of the chalk.

There seems to be a lot of people using magnetic chalk holders. The chalk holders are bulky and not user friendly imo.

Even with epoxy or JB Weld, AFTER ATTACHING the washer it eventually fails and comes loose from the bottom of the chalk.

A 5/32 x 7/8 Fender Washer does a great job but it needs to be placed under the wrapper of the chalk. I imagine it would be even better if the wrapper was made of slightly more durable paper/vinyl than what is currently used on most chalks.

Chalk Manufacturers, are you missing a great marketing opportunity?

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a pigleta lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#2)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

11-09-2014, 09:37 PM

I don't know if it would be cost effective, or if there are enough people using magnetic chalk holders to create a sufficient demand. Nonetheless I think the drawback for me when I was using a magnetic holder wasn't the chalk cube, but the magnet itself. The problem you run into is that if you make the magnet sufficiently strong as to not fall off when bumped (which can happen a lot playing pool) then it is hard to get the chalk off of the magnet. For me I didn't enjoy chasing the chalk when I bumped into the table.

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Chalk Makers - Heads UP!
Old
  (#3)
yankeepapa
AzB Silver Member
yankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond reputeyankeepapa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Chalk Makers - Heads UP! - 11-09-2014, 10:10 PM

Joey A,

I saw a clever solution to this problem last Spring at Lincoln City, Oregon.

We were playing a team of Yakamas from Yakima,WA. I spied a cube of chalk on their table with something attached to the bottom.

Closer inspection revealed it to be a bottle cap crimped to the bottom of the cube. I foolishly failed to ask how the hack was accomplished. Repeated use had worn any identifying marks from the cap, and I believe size matters here.

My efforts with super glue gel and a pair of channel-locks both failed.

Our next wine buying trip to the Yakima Valley will merit a side trip to investigate.

I believe you're onto something here, Joey.

Pete

(#4)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Post - 11-09-2014, 10:35 PM

You have to remove the wax paper wrapper because not much sticks well to wax paper or wax coating...
Adhere a piece of a heavy brown paper bag to the bottom after removing the wax coated paper from the bottom, let it set-up and use the epoxy or glue you wish to attach a washer... And scoring the bottom of your chalk before adhesion of washer and paper.

Good luck with ur chalking up'

Rob.M

Last edited by ROB.M; 11-09-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Old
  (#5)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-10-2014, 12:01 AM

The problem is trying to glue metal, doent work well as there is no absorbtion. You could try cleaning the mating surfaces with alcohol, letting it dry then use a piece of double sided foam tape.
Chuck

Old
  (#6)
I Got Lucky
AzB Silver Member
I Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2014, 02:44 AM

Got rid of the magnetic holder and went with this......

I'm very happy.

Old
  (#7)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Few things with this, first it would likely double the cost of the chalk, the wrapper will likely wear out fast and the washer will fall out, and not that many use magnetic chalk holders in comparison to those that don't which means the market to sell this to will be very small for the developement and ironing out issues and putting another product in the pipeline.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#8)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2014, 06:43 AM

Joey, attach the washer with Red 3M tape. Glue doesn't work well for metal.

Old
  (#9)
zpele
AzB Silver Member
zpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to zpele Send a message via Yahoo to zpele Send a message via Skype™ to zpele 
11-10-2014, 06:46 AM

I just hold my chalk you lazy bastards.

Old
  (#10)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpele View Post
I just hold my chalk you lazy bastards.
LOL, I have never used a chalk holder in my life, just trying to help Joey out.

I don't see a need for a chalk holder on a belt, or the pocket dangler thing, or even the chalk cube holders. As long as the chalk doesn't have a hole bored through, I'm fine.

Old
  (#11)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 169290

11-10-2014, 06:58 AM

Oh this would be great. We'd be paying $30 a piece for Master's. Johnnyt

Never Give Up

Old
  (#12)
Kid Dynomite
Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Kid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2014, 07:00 AM

keep it simple fellas

Tape a dime or penny to the bottom of the chalk!!!

KD

Like a Samurai you are only as good as your weapon!
A.K.A. = Dennis (Michael) Wilson Jr.

Old
  (#13)
oldschool1478
AzB Silver Member
oldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Ever wonder why so many old players wore a vest?
Besides keeping your shirt out of the way, there's those two
small pockets in just the right place for your chalk.
I wear a thin leather one when its warm, or a wool one when
it's cool.
I see Earl wears one now, and Cory has for some time.

Do you understand what you know?

I often appropriate what I deem appropriate.

Old
  (#14)
DallasHopps
AzB Silver Member
DallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond reputeDallasHopps has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

11-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
keep it simple fellas

Tape a dime or penny to the bottom of the chalk!!!

KD
Lol... Just lol.

For use with a magnetic chalk holder?

Old
  (#15)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member

11-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasHopps View Post
Lol... Just lol.

For use with a magnetic chalk holder?
Unless they started stamping coins in steel again LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: