Did you know (racking secrets)

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, yes. Leaving certain balls not so frozen can help you pocket balls.
In some match Karl Boyes told the story about asking Van Boening about the rack reading and he said "10,000$ and I will tell you".
Strange times.

And this is why "rack your own" can not be allowed or you simply use a magic rack.

I do doubt, however, that the balls actually are wider on the numbers. I think it's more of a different hit kind of thing due to the coloring put into the material.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do doubt, however, that the balls actually are wider on the numbers. I think it's more of a different hit kind of thing due to the coloring put into the material.

Whose got some calipers handy?

Is number to number racking truly a factor in how the balls react, regardless of why?

Last edited:

meister2u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like racking 9 ball on spot....that is a better way of letting others rack there own. After seeing how its harder to sink balls on break this makes game more challenging....:thumbup::thumbup:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, yes. Leaving certain balls not so frozen can help you pocket balls.
In some match Karl Boyes told the story about asking Van Boening about the rack reading and he said "10,000$ and I will tell you".
Strange times.

And this is why "rack your own" can not be allowed or you simply use a magic rack.

:rolleyes:

Hmmm....yes. Balls are not perfectly round and they are bigger if you measure over the numbers.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I measured this on a brand new set of super aramith pro balls about 10 years ago (because I too had seen Pat's video 10 years before that).

On a brand new set, measured with calibrated Starrett 2" to 3" micrometers, and measuring across the stripe and the number, there is no consistent difference in any of the 15 balls depending on the ball orientataion.

I had the data here a while back, in graph form, showing how closely the balls all measured to each other.

I can't comment for a used set.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I measured this on a brand new set of super aramith pro balls about 10 years ago (because I too had seen Pat's video 10 years before that).

On a brand new set, measured with calibrated Starrett 2" to 3" micrometers, and measuring across the stripe and the number, there is no consistent difference in any of the 15 balls depending on the ball orientataion.

I had the data here a while back, in graph form, showing how closely the balls all measured to each other.

I can't comment for a used set.

:smile:

On my used sets, there is a difference. Maybe it's like rings or inlays popping in a pool cue that causes them to change.

I do know...when racking with used balls, sometimes you really need to change the balls around on the second row to get them tight.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:smile:

On my used sets, there is a difference. Maybe it's like rings or inlays popping in a pool cue that causes them to change.

I do know...when racking with used balls, sometimes you really need to change the balls around on the second row to get them tight.

I think one theory is that the numbered area wears slower.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the pictures of the measurement. At the number, rotated 90 deg from the number, and then at the stripe:

Dec 29 2008 012.jpg

Dec 29 2008 014.jpg

Dec 29 2008 015.jpg

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Calling BS on this. Sorry but Pat Flemming used to say the break was a disadvantage so he's clearly not an expert.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For shits and giggles, here are the mass measurements from the same set measured at the same time as the diameter when they were brand new.

Dec 29 2008 005.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 12.12.41 AM.jpg

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's one thing that IUSEDTOBERICH's results shows, it's that the balls aren't perfectly round. If you have a very precise pattern racking method (same order, numbers up) you *might* be able to get differing results simply by rotating the balls. It's a common misconception that balls are perfect and they're simply not. They dont' start perfect and they wear unevenly. In fact, players will often complain about cueballs on new sets being too big or heavy when, in fact, they're just used to worn cueballs.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling BS on this. Sorry but Pat Flemming used to say the break was a disadvantage so he's clearly not an expert.

I know you're just having fun but before everyone became a racking expert, the advantage to breaking was a hotly discussed topic. Back when everyone was hammering the break at full strength, if you knew your opponent was the favorite to fly off the table, you might want to pass the break back to him. At the intermediate/advanced level, it was definitely worth consideration since running out from the break might be a 5-10%.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here are the results. You can see that there is no pattern across the balls.

View attachment 398378

Aramith has something called manufacturing tolerances. Plus there is also a tolerance on the roundness, too.

This is one of the reasons you can't repeat a break shot.

Perfect isn't a word used in defining Pool Balls.

Remember Johnny Archer saying, "I know it's touching, but it's not frozen".

The Break Shot just has to be dealt with & some folks are doing a good job of doing that, while other's aren't.

Good Luck...