Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Biggest myths in pool today
Page 4 of 7 « First 234 56 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-20-2015, 02:53 PM

Certainly not a myth...and for many players, the secret to a more accurate and repeatable stroke. Elbow drop is a choice, not a necessity.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post

You should keep your elbow still during the shot.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#47)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-20-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost ball View Post
Myth: You can't play under the radar/make a living at pool with today's social media and the internet...

Billy Burke is doing it!
Isn't he doing that by "selling" break cues? LOL.

Old
  (#48)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((Satori))) View Post
What are some of the biggest myths in pool these days.
Lots of myths, most of which I have seen here on AZB numerous times over the years, are summarized with supporting resources here:

Top 100 Pool and Billiards Myths ... Debunked, Busted and Explained

Check them out,
Dave

Old
  (#49)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-20-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Lots of myths, most of which I have seen here on AZB numerous times over the years, are summarized with supporting resources here:

Check them out,
Dave
Dave, how have you quantified this? (Ps, I am almost done reading that book myself)
PPS, I think you have it backwards, especially after almost finishing reading that book

#97. Natural talent is more important than hard work.
See the book: "The Sports Gene." For certain sports (e.g., anything involving jumping or speed like some track and field events), this can be true. Also, someone with good eye-hand coordination (e.g., from genetics and/or previous experience with other activities and sports) will have an advantage over someone who is not very coordinated. It also helps to have sharp vision and depth perception. However, practice, experience, and hard work are the most important ingredients of success in pool.

Old
  (#50)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Dave, how have you quantified this? (Ps, I am almost done reading that book myself)
PPS, I think you have it backwards, especially after almost finishing reading that book

#97. Natural talent is more important than hard work.
See the book: "The Sports Gene." For certain sports (e.g., anything involving jumping or speed like some track and field events), this can be true. Also, someone with good eye-hand coordination (e.g., from genetics and/or previous experience with other activities and sports) will have an advantage over someone who is not very coordinated. It also helps to have sharp vision and depth perception. However, practice, experience, and hard work are the most important ingredients of success in pool.
So you think "natural talent" is more important than "hard work" in pool? I think this might be the case for some individuals (e.g., a few top pros who don't seem to need to work that hard on their game). But I think for the majority of pool players, hard work trumps talent in a big way.

Regards,
Dave

PS: I read the entire book and enjoyed it very much.

Old
  (#51)
david(tx)
AzB Silver Member
david(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-20-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((Satori))) View Post
What are some of the biggest myths in pool these days.

I'll start

9-ball is a broken game and 10-ball is much better= myth
1) Pool rooms fail because of bad locations . Poor business practices like not providing free pool and beverages are the down fall of many.

2) Retailers and manufacturers of pool and billiards products are making a killing yet refuse to fund pro events and sponsor the streaming for these events.

Old
  (#52)
Banks
Banned
Banks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

10-20-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david(tx) View Post
1) Pool rooms fail because of bad locations . Poor business practices like not providing free pool and beverages are the down fall of many.

2) Retailers and manufacturers of pool and billiards products are making a killing yet refuse to fund pro events and sponsor the streaming for these events.
Retailers are absolutely nuts. Something about this entire industry, imo. I've approached a few local retailers about advertising opportunities. Apparently none of them have any competition(including each other) and could care less about a pool scene. My money is on the idea that they'll change their tune when it's too late. Let's just say that my biggest supplier is no longer local and that's disappointing.

Old
  (#53)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 04:27 PM

Pool is a power game.

Aiming systems make you a more consistent Potter.

X pro pool player couldn't make it in snooker, even if they started at an early age.

The pros always think 3 shots ahead.

The pros don't give anything back to the game.

Old
  (#54)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 04:43 PM

Top level pool requires $30 lip stick for chalk.

Nick

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#55)
ScottK
AzB Silver Member
ScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond reputeScottK has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost ball View Post
Myth: You can't play under the radar/make a living at pool with today's social media and the internet...

Billy Burke was doing it!
Fixed that for you.

Brilliant post, though.

Old
  (#56)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-20-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Check them out,
Dave
Drops the hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#57)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-20-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
So you think "natural talent" is more important than "hard work" in pool? I think this might be the case for some individuals (e.g., a few top pros who don't seem to need to work that hard on their game). But I think for the majority of pool players, hard work trumps talent in a big way.

Regards,
Dave

PS: I read the entire book and enjoyed it very much.
No top pro got there without hard work on their game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#58)
arps
tirador (ng pansit)
arps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 07:22 PM

SVB is the best in the world.

"Ang bilyar ay mahiwaga."
- Efren

Old
  (#59)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 07:28 PM

All the comparisons between hard work vs. talent are a myth in my opinion. The ability to focus and work harder than most other people is actually a rare talent in itself, and a very important one at that!

Old
  (#60)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscueBlues View Post
All opinions and not statements of fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you lost track of the thread. Those are the myths, not my opinions.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
Thomas A. Edison

Page 4 of 7 « First 234 56 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: