Lists of past champions?

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know of a website that lists the
winners of all the past 9-ball World Championships?
And all the past championship winners in 14.1 and
one pocket? In any other sport it's easy to find
records of ALL past winners but with pool there
seems to be nothing. I mean I know Mizerak has
many titles as well as Earl but I'd like to see an
official list going all the way back. Thanks.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck, Bobby. I'll be following this thread to see the results. I've been gathering pool-related data for some time now, and there is very little out there about not only stats, but about the players themselves. Some things can only be obtained through the mouths of those who were there. :(

And just like the game of pocket billiards, the more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. :p

JAM

Tex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby said:

Try this
www.worldpoolchampionships.com/event_information.asp

Scroll down to the bottom, it shows winners from 1990-2003
We all know Alex P. won it last year

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Good luck, Bobby. I'll be following this thread to see the results. I've been gathering pool-related data for some time now, and there is very little out there about not only stats, but about the players themselves. Some things can only be obtained through the mouths of those who were there. :(

And just like the game of pocket billiards, the more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. :p

JAM

I know what you mean JAM, I've also tried to
gather info over the years but the problem is that
the stats seem to change all the time! Like at
a tournament a player will be announced as being
the 1986 World one-pocket champion but then a year
later they'll say it was 1987. It's frustrating!

Grady

Pro Player
Good luck with finding results. I won the World One Pocket Championships in 83', 84', 85. and 95' but I can't even get those fine events listed in the annual almanacs that come out. Thank god for SteveBooth for starting the One Pocket HOF.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bobby said:
Here is a pretty complete list for One Pocket -- still being verified here and there:
http://onepocket.org/records.htm

Of course the BCA has a list, mostly of annual champions. I'm not sure what is on their website, but it's always been in the back of their rule books. Since they are the 'governing body', it must be the 'official' list :)

Billiard Digest used to publish an annual almanac issue that also listed similar championships -- as well as the Stardust and Johnston City winners.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
I would like to know the 8ball world championship results, I know Efren won it last year but somebody, maybe sjm I don't remember mentioned that they thought 8 ball was Efrens best game since he won the WC 4 times? I think last year was the first year in a while that they held the 8ball WC does anyone know anymore info about this? (BTW I know the UK has an 8ball world Champs but I don't consider this a true world champs given the ball / table size and the limited number of countries that use them)

Please Help?

Grady

Pro Player
I don't consider the BCA the governing body. Every year I offer to have a $50,000 added 14.1 event if they'll raise $20,000 for me. They don't even answer me. I have some five star hotels as sites.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Grady said:
I don't consider the BCA the governing body. Every year I offer to have a $50,000 added 14.1 event if they'll raise $20,000 for me. They don't even answer me. I have some five star hotels as sites.

Shame on BCA ! The pool scene definitely could use a lot more 14.1 events.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Grady said:

That's very typical of "the industry". Grady, you and I have talked for years about how much damage the sport has inflicted upon itself and it never ceases to amaze me how correct we continue to be. When the players realize (like many of us realized back in the 1990's) that no decision is made in their best interests by either the tours, the BCA, or "the industry" than perhaps we will get more TV time than Beach Volleyball and Texas Hold 'em. Grady, for years we have talked about trying to have show produced that would showcase the best money players challenging each other. For years "the industry" has said that the gambling aspect would turn away viewers and reflect poorly upon the game. For 25 years we have been pretending that the gambling doesn't exist. I present to you the World Poker Tour. Successful? I would say so. I find it typical that they would ignore you Grady, mainly because if any strides are to be made to progress our sport (in any direction up or down) they want to take credit for it. That's why they ignore you. Until the industry realizes the marketability of the players (not the products they are selling) we will be at a stand still. Don't feel alone Grady. Remember how I was treated when I spoke out about Mackey and his tobacco deal. I'm still paying for that one - but I still called it!

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
That's very typical of "the industry". Grady, you and I have talked for years about how much damage the sport has inflicted upon itself and it never ceases to amaze me how correct we continue to be. When the players realize (like many of us realized back in the 1990's) that no decision is made in their best interests by either the tours, the BCA, or "the industry" than perhaps we will get more TV time than Beach Volleyball and Texas Hold 'em. Grady, for years we have talked about trying to have show produced that would showcase the best money players challenging each other. For years "the industry" has said that the gambling aspect would turn away viewers and reflect poorly upon the game. For 25 years we have been pretending that the gambling doesn't exist. I present to you the World Poker Tour. Successful? I would say so. I find it typical that they would ignore you Grady, mainly because if any strides are to be made to progress our sport (in any direction up or down) they want to take credit for it. That's why they ignore you. Until the industry realizes the marketability of the players (not the products they are selling) we will be at a stand still. Don't feel alone Grady. Remember how I was treated when I spoke out about Mackey and his tobacco deal. I'm still paying for that one - but I still called it!

the guy who seems(i don't really know the background of tv poker) to be behind televised poker....a guy with a mutache who does the espn color is more than familiar with pool gambling because i read or saw in an interview where he listed poker, horse racing, and pool as the best games/sports. so, it would seem to me you have someone high up in your corner.

poker also happens to be popular because everyone has played it, everyone has playeed some form of card game, you can buy a deck of cards at your local deli/711, you can play it at home around the kitchen table....you get guys like moneymaker winning, and NOW you can play online. there are actually more disimilarities than there are similarities between poker and pool.

there's never been anyone as marketable as jeanette and no one comes close on the men's side and with youngsters like jasmine ouschan coming up,,,so if she can't do it, who can.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Grady said:
Good luck with finding results. I won the World One Pocket Championships in 83', 84', 85. and 95' but I can't even get those fine events listed in the annual almanacs that come out. Thank god for SteveBooth for starting the One Pocket HOF.
Then there was the World Straight Pool Championship you held during one of the BCA trade shows in Vegas years ago. The magazines hardly even gave it much coverage. By the way who won it? Was it Danny? I watched him run 70 something in it.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Grady said:

have you considered organizing one overseas, where there might be more interest. the US might be a dead end.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady said:

Thanks for the info Grady, I knew you had won 4
World One Pocket titles but I didn't know the years
until now.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1pocket said:
Here is a pretty complete list for One Pocket -- still being verified here and there:
http://onepocket.org/records.htm

Of course the BCA has a list, mostly of annual champions. I'm not sure what is on their website, but it's always been in the back of their rule books. Since they are the 'governing body', it must be the 'official' list :)

Billiard Digest used to publish an annual almanac issue that also listed similar championships -- as well as the Stardust and Johnston City winners.

Thanks, that's quite a list! I wasn't even aware of
some f thse events listed.

Grady

Pro Player
Bob Hunter won that tournament. I have considered overseas but the WPA is worse than the BCA. It's bad enough to lose money on every 14.1 event I do , without being charged a sanctioning fee and be told what I can and cannot do.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
TheOne said:
I would like to know the 8ball world championship results, I know Efren won it last year but somebody, maybe sjm I don't remember mentioned that they thought 8 ball was Efrens best game since he won the WC 4 times? Please Help?

Yes, The One, that was me. The World 8-ball championship was a standard stop on the PBT, the major tour in men's pro pool before it folded in 1999. In the mid-1990's Efren won two world 8-ball championships back to back on 9-foot tables. I don't recall which ones they were, but I was there for one of them.

The PBT World 8-ball championships were contested at the Riviera in Las Vegas in August, not the recommended month to visit that city. I remember one year when I went, it was 109 degrees when my plane landed, and it was 11:30 PM!

Few of the competitors gave Efren a tougher game than you did!