Lesson with a pro or BCA certified instructor ?

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Wondering what people's thoughts might be on this question. In my area I can get 2 hours of private instruction with a BCA certified instructor for $50 or I can go see Dallas West and get a hour of instruction for $100.

So I have the choice of 1 hour vs 4 hours. My own thoughts on this is do 2 hours with the BCA instructor and then in a few weeks do the lesson with Dallas.

What would you do ?

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
I would start with the certified instructor and somewhere down the road spend some time with a pro. You'll save a few bucks in the beginning and get your fundamentals down pat. Then ,maybe you can pick the pro's brain about strategies and theories once your game improves.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Both!

fsarfino said:
Wondering what people's thoughts might be on this question. In my area I can get 2 hours of private instruction with a BCA certified instructor for $50 or I can go see Dallas West and get a hour of instruction for $100.

So I have the choice of 1 hour vs 4 hours. My own thoughts on this is do 2 hours with the BCA instructor and then in a few weeks do the lesson with Dallas.

What would you do ?
Get your monies worth. The BCA doesn't just hand out certifications. They have to demonstrate the ability to teach and have sufficient knowledge of the game. I can't say going to Dallas West is the best thing. But it certainly can't be the worst. Why not go see both?

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
That seems like a no-brainer to me. Dallas West is a great player, and I certainly mean him no disrespect, but there is absolutely no way he can give you four times the amount of quality instruction for the money. Dallas might be able to give you better pointers on how to win the U.S. Open 14.1 Championship, but outside of that, your best bet at this stage is to go with the BCA Certified Instructor.

Roger

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Roger Long said:
That seems like a no-brainer to me. Dallas West is a great player, and I certainly mean him no disrespect, but there is absolutely no way he can give you four times the amount of quality instruction for the money. Dallas might be able to give you better pointers on how to win the U.S. Open 14.1 Championship, but outside of that, your best bet at this stage is to go with the BCA Certified Instructor.

Roger

Yeah, not to mention that just because someone is a great player doesn't mean that they are a great teacher. I honestly know nothing about Dallas' ability to teach, I know he's a great player though. For myself, I may go with Dallas only because my game of choice is straight pool and tips from someone like him would be invaluable. But learning to shoot pool........I'd have to go with the BCA instructor first.
MULLY
have no idea what the original poster's intentions are so it's hard to advise

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd agree with the others here. There is no way that ANYONE can offer much instruction in just one hour. Just FYI, there two BCA Master Instructors in Rockford, at Cue U.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned an hour or two won't change your game that significantly. If you are serious then I would head north an hour to Madison and take lessons with Jerry Briesath (http://www.thepoolschool.com).

I'm familiar with the BCA instructors you mentioned and the two Scott Lee mentioned as well as Dallas. The certified instructors available locally would be beneficial if you are just beginning or early in your development. Dallas is just the opposite case and I would only recommend seeing him after your game has hit an advanced stage.

Duane

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Duane do you have any idea of what Jerry Briesath charges ? Also have you attended his pool school ?

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should contact him regarding rates. I'm sure small group rates would be reasonable. Lots of interesting reading on his website.

I have never taken lessons from Jerry (or anyone for that matter) but do know a few players from Rockford who did in the past. Not cheap but he is considered the "best of the best" to many so you get what you pay for in the end.

But now that I have been forced to get in my 200 posts I probably need to take a few (many?) lessons so I can make a respectable challenge for AZB King of IL!

Duane

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
fsarfino said:
... My own thoughts on this is do 2 hours with the BCA instructor and then in a few weeks do the lesson with Dallas.

What would you do ?
It depends on your current level of play. If you have never run more than 10 balls at straight pool, you should wait on your lesson with Dallas because what you need to learn during the next several months is probably not what he will be teaching at $100/hour. If you regularly have runs of 30 or two racks of nine ball, then I think the order doesn't matter too much. If you end up working on your fundamentals, you may want to nail those down before your Dallas lesson.

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Bob Jewett said:
It depends on your current level of play. If you have never run more than 10 balls at straight pool, you should wait on your lesson with Dallas because what you need to learn during the next several months is probably not what he will be teaching at $100/hour. If you regularly have runs of 30 or two racks of nine ball, then I think the order doesn't matter too much. If you end up working on your fundamentals, you may want to nail those down before your Dallas lesson.

Ok this puts things into perspective for me. I'm going to go with the BCA lessons for now maybe over the course of this winter I'll put in the long hours needed at the practice table and then do a lesson with Dallas. Thanks for all the replies !