Bar Box 8-Ball Update

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Winners side:

Paul Potier vs Steve Cherwyk (Canadian player)

Gabe Owen just beat Stan Tourangeau

Losers Side:

Corey Deuel just beat David Gutierrez

Geoff Somer vs Glenn Atwell

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for posting this info. Are there any brackets available so we can see who these final players beat to get where they are at. This tournament is of real intrest to me because local pros Paul Potier and Stan Tourangeau are both having a great tournament. Thanks, RJ

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Unfortunately, Jay was just too bogged down to do brackets for this one. Judging by the requests on the forums and in email though, I will have to do them next year.

Mike

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Unfortunately, Jay was just too bogged down to do brackets for this one. Judging by the requests on the forums and in email though, I will have to do them next year.

Mike
Something more for you to do for your audience! I just talked to Gabe, he's back in this part of the country again. He took 1st, (yes! finally beat Cory on a tournament! It has been so long!) but I'm sure it's old news to you by now. Will you be posting the info on it soon? Thanks!

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I tried to reach Jay earlier today and had no luck. Will post as soon as I have complete results.

Mike

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super Gabe snatches another title, Corey comes in 4th place, and I kind of got a kick out of seeing Ronnie Allen place 9th through 12th. 600 bucks for 9th through 12th is not too shabby! Hey, when you reach my age, you're always pulling for the old-school players. Ronnie must play good on the bar box! :p

I realize that the tournament organizers are extremely busy administrating these tournaments. I didn't know that the last day of this event was last night. Having said that, I would think it would be a top priority for any tournament promoter or organizer to contact the pool media, i.e., AzBilliards and others, announcing the winners fairly soon after the event concludes.

I have seen some folks at tournaments conversing with the pool media by phone, providing the names in the brackets. With a tournament like this one in Reno, 160-plus players in the 8-ball event and 120-plus players in the 9-ball event, that would be quite a long phone call. Imagine having to spell the last names of all the not-so-well-known players in a big field like this.

In these times of computers and digital cameras, why not just take a picture of the chart and e-mail it to those interested parties. Sure would save a lot of time, and those of us back home would be happy campers!

Congratulations to Gabe Owen, too, for this great win! :)

JAM

Last edited:

sharandrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:

Mike

Still no results to be found would like to see them.....

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was happy to see hometown Stan Tourangeau place third. Bar box 8 ball is his strongest venue. When he lost to Gabe on the winners side, anyone know the score? RJ

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Super Gabe snatches another title, Corey comes in 4th place, and I kind of got a kick out of seeing Ronnie Allen place 9th through 12th. 600 bucks for 9th through 12th is not too shabby!

Congratulations to Gabe Owen, too, for this great win! :)

JAM
Whew! This was a little bounce back after watching his UPA play on ESPN last week. I'll pass along your Congrats to him. Thanks!

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I kind of got a kick out of seeing Ronnie Allen place 9th through 12th. 600 bucks for 9th through 12th is not too shabby! Hey, when you reach my age, you're always pulling for the old-school players. Ronnie must play good on the bar box! :p

JAM

JAM, Ronnie must have finally come off the stall in a tournament after 40 years! I believe he's usually shown up at most events simply to be available for side action. You know he never did well in tournaments since Johnston City-- I think simply because he had no control over the pacing of his play. He probably doesn't like tournaments because he doesn't adapt well to the regimentation of tournament brackets. He prefers the improvization and the free form of heads up back room play. It's nice to see that he evidently bore down and played up to his level. :)

Doc

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
JAM, Ronnie must have finally come off the stall in a tournament after 40 years! I believe he's usually shown up at most events simply to be available for side action. You know he never did well in tournaments since Johnston City-- I think simply because he had no control over the pacing of his play. He probably doesn't like tournaments because he doesn't adapt well to the regimentation of tournament brackets. He prefers the improvization and the free form of heads up back room play. It's nice to see that he evidently bore down and played up to his level. :)

Doc

Plus he is old now, he will go down as a legend of the game of one pocket though regardless. I have never seen him play personally but that is a sad thing because through the stories of him alone he must have been something seriously special in his prime.

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
Was happy to see hometown Stan Tourangeau place third. Bar box 8 ball is his strongest venue. When he lost to Gabe on the winners side, anyone know the score? RJ
Just talked to Gabe, he said the match was 5-3. He said that Stan has always beat him in Vegas, but he finally got him this time.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Winners side:

Paul Potier vs Steve Cherwyk (Canadian player)

Gabe Owen just beat Stan Tourangeau

Losers Side:

Corey Deuel just beat David Gutierrez

Geoff Somer vs Glenn Atwell

Anybody know where Steve ended up ? He lived in Saskatoon for years, and was one of our better players ...

Thanks,

Dave

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Anybody know where Steve ended up ? He lived in Saskatoon for years, and was one of our better players ...

Thanks,

Dave

According to Inside Pool, Steve lost to Gabe in the finals. Steve won the first set and lost the second IIRC.

Lunchmoney

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Celtic said:
Plus he is old now, he will go down as a legend of the game of one pocket though regardless. I have never seen him play personally but that is a sad thing because through the stories of him alone he must have been something seriously special in his prime.
Right you are, Celtic. I first saw him in 1969 playing Eddie Kelly and others. I've never seen a display of shooting like that before or since. I haven't seen Efren play one-hole, but I can't imagine anyone of any era who could play better one-pocket than Ronnie Allen in his prime.

Doc

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
According to Inside Pool, Steve lost to Gabe in the finals. Steve won the first set and lost the second IIRC.

Lunchmoney

Thanks lunchmoney ... thought I looked at IP, maybe not, but I will now ...

Dave

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Celtic said:

Hi Celtic,

Ronnie Allen travelled to the Reno event with a very good friend of mine. We spent five days listening to his pool stories. Like Johnny Ervolino, no one has written down his lifetime of pool action. Ronnie acknowleges the need to do so but, he wants to do it right! I think the high point of Ronnies week was beating Edwin Montel on the winners side 5 - 1! For those of you not familiar with Edwin, he is a Filipino living in Canada. Awesome bar box player! Won the nine ball. Ronnie had nothing to be ashamed of with his finish. During our ride back to Vegas, his insights into some of his peers was priceless. Ronnie is a legend!

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
cardiac kid said:
Hi Celtic,

Ronnie Allen travelled to the Reno event with a very good friend of mine. We spent five days listening to his pool stories. Like Johnny Ervolino, no one has written down his lifetime of pool action. Ronnie acknowleges the need to do so but, he wants to do it right! I think the high point of Ronnies week was beating Edwin Montel on the winners side 5 - 1! For those of you not familiar with Edwin, he is a Filipino living in Canada. Awesome bar box player! Won the nine ball. Ronnie had nothing to be ashamed of with his finish. During our ride back to Vegas, his insights into some of his peers was priceless. Ronnie is a legend!

I know Edwin very well, he is from my home town and I have played him quite afew times, him getting the better of 90% or so of the matches. Beating him means you shot great, especially in a tourney like that where the money is good and Edwin wants to win. Plus after winning the 9-ball event Edwin clearly had his game going well so Ronnie must still have some serious game he can pull out to have smoked him 5-1.