Ahead set from hell

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend Rory just finished a 10-ahead bar box 8-ball set with Claude M.

Claude showed up last Tuesday.

They started playing on Wednesday when Rory finished work, playing for 8.5 hours.

Rory went to work Thursday and then they played for another 8.5 hours.

7.5 hours on Friday

8 hours on Saturday

Both had been up 6 games at this point, but neither had gotten past 6.

They started at 4:00 pm or so yesterday (Sunday) and finally finished about an hour ago at 9:30 am Monday (17.5 hours this last stint).

Rory won after FIFTY HOURS!

It took 44 hours for anybody to get past 6 games.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
mikepage said:

They started playing on Wednesday when Rory finished work, playing for 8.5 hours.

7.5 hours on Friday

8 hours on Saturday

They started at 4:00 pm or so yesterday (Sunday) and finally finished about an hour ago at 9:30 am Monday (17.5 hours this last stint).

Claude is a classic grinder, he will pack a lunch and go to work.

After the table time what was the haul.........$27.50? :D

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Claude

mikepage said:

7.5 hours on Friday

8 hours on Saturday

That Claude is a grinder though. What some of these roadplayers do, Claude included, is get the "working man" player wore down by playing non-stop after work until they just give out!

He came through here and did the same thing with my road dog, who owns a construction company. Claude left much lighter than he came! My buddy flat out told him that he would not play until he got some rest. Claude persisted and finally got a small chunk back.

They probably played 30-40 hours here too!

Ray

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
mikepage said:
Yes.

Thank you, I remember back in 2000 Claude played an 8-ahead set that lasted maybe 30 minutes tops. He was giving James Ladeira the 7-ball on a triple-shimmed table at Action Billiards and lost 8 games in a row.

I was in with James for $300 and I think the total bet was $800-$1k, I left to pick up a friend and got a phone call from him before I even got to my destination. We were thinking "oh crap, he lost that quickly?" but he was all jazzed because he had won the set without Claude winning a single game.

Claude is a great player but he gave up a little too much weight on that particular set and we got away with a little bit of his cash.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
That Claude is a grinder though. What some of these roadplayers do, Claude included, is get the "working man" player wore down by playing non-stop after work until they just give out! [...]

On the third day, we were trying to get them to freeze up another set ;-)

And hey, we're in Fargo. At the start of the day yesterday, I told Rory it was time to put the grinder on the shelf and fire up the woodchipper.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol

mikepage said:
On the third day, we were trying to get them to freeze up another set ;-)

And hey, we're in Fargo. At the start of the day yesterday, I told Rory it was time to put the grinder on the shelf and fire up the woodchipper.

Yeah, We're in Texas. We fired up the chainsaw(5k a set) and he left faster than Bucktooth at the DCC. !! LMAO.:D

Ray

tanco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Rory. I remember the first time I saw SVB play. He was about 18 years old and his uncle put him in to play Rory a race to 8, 8-ball on the big table for 1k. Rory drilled him 8-1.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Claude is a great guy and true grinder. I put him in action here for a while. The same thing happened here. Claude got into a two-day marathon match and went busted on his own money.

I hope the next time he is mentioned on here is for making a score rather than being one.

I think Claude's biggest problem is his grind and heart. He will stay in until the last barrell is fired. He plays good, but I believe his game has lost quite a bit though.

thomba02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rory is one of the top bar box players in the midwest...i didnt know someone that old could still grind it :p

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I'm glad that I played Claude Marrier in a tournament instead of an ahead set. It was over in a rather short period and nearly painless. Claude won 7-4.

Doug

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Does Claude still wear his leather vest when he plays? Every time I saw him back about 10 years ago he had it on.