who are these new filipino pool players????

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
watched the san miguel asian 9ball on star sports (i kept changing channels to watch wpc reruns on espn) and all can think was, "who are these filipino pool players???" it seems like they keep coming out of the woodwork. i mean, this guy gabica took out efren in the quarterfinals, fer cryin out loud! how come ive never heard of him before? as usual, chin sung yang was being his deadly self as he ousted bustamante after being down 6-0. but then this filipino gandy valle, who looks even lankier than yang, takes him out to forge a finals match with taiwanese wunderkind Wu who Valle eventually defeats to pocket the $10T championship.

i mean, where do these guys come from???!! is there a billiards conspiracy here? i'm looking forward to the next leg of the asian 9ball tournament to see if the taiwanese would get back at their filipino tormentors.....

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
i checked the wpa website and valle's ranking is 146 while gabica's is 82! how come there aren't more filipino players ranked?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Valle is from the south of the Philippines. He's an Asian Games gold medalist.
Gabica has been knocking on the door for a while now.
They really hone their skills thru gambling. A friend of mine was in the Philippines last year. He saw Orcullo, Gabica, Kiamco and co. gamble day in and day out.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Renegade said:
i checked the wpa website and valle's ranking is 146 while gabica's is 82! how come there aren't more filipino players ranked?

WPA ranking doesn't really tell anything but how many WPA santioned events they have been entering.

Anyway, Valle and Gabica are surely rising stars of the RP. I'm still wondering what happened to Ronnie Alcano, he hasn't been finishing in the top lately...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Renegade said:
watched the san miguel asian 9ball on star sports (i kept changing channels to watch wpc reruns on espn) and all can think was, "who are these filipino pool players???" it seems like they keep coming out of the woodwork. i mean, this guy gabica took out efren in the quarterfinals, fer cryin out loud! how come ive never heard of him before? as usual, chin sung yang was being his deadly self as he ousted bustamante after being down 6-0. but then this filipino gandy valle, who looks even lankier than yang, takes him out to forge a finals match with taiwanese wunderkind Wu who Valle eventually defeats to pocket the $10T championship.

i mean, where do these guys come from???!! is there a billiards conspiracy here? i'm looking forward to the next leg of the asian 9ball tournament to see if the taiwanese would get back at their filipino tormentors.....

Renegade said:

As you've noted, the Philippines mass produces great pool players. Their excellence is undeniable. They are simply the best pool players in the world.

However.....our Filipino friends on the forum tell us that the San Miguel Tour is no more than a Filipino-only qualifying event for the WPC. If that is so, it would be hard to fathom why a player's performance on that tour would have anything to do with that player's standing in the world rankings.

Thyey are great [players, but they do not seem to knwo the meaning of sportmanship until they become good enough to play on TV. The philopines are the worst when it coems to sharking/hustling that i have seen. Of course, i am not taliing about the famous ones like reyes. They aslo were rude when they were watching the game and a philopino player is playing with players form another country. No class at all!

Come on! start the attack...I am not backing down here.

Come on, call me a racist, call me names, I aint backing down. (bracing myself, getting ready)

These filopino are hustlers with no sportmanship at all. thye move, tlak, foul on yo whichever chance they have got.

Come on, I am waiting....there has to be someone out there form the filopine. Yo guys stick together whenever there is a fight no matter who is right or worng, so what is the matter now...

{Bracing myself one more time against some filopino bamboo attack]

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my God Turquoise....LOL, I've brought out the devil in you...LOL

I'm not going to touch this one, however, your own your own.Take care, RJ

recoveryjones said:
Oh my God Turquoise....LOL, I've brought out the devil in you...LOL

I'm not going to touch this one, however, your own your own.Take care, RJ

U have no idea, RJ...

If u aint going to touch this, it seems to me you agree with me...tell me i am wrong otherwise.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
QUOTE]Thyey are great [players, but they do not seem to knwo the meaning of sportmanship until they become good enough to play on TV. The philopines are the worst when it coems to sharking/hustling that i have seen. Of course, i am not taliing about the famous ones like reyes. They aslo were rude when they were watching the game and a philopino player is playing with players form another country. No class at all![/QUOTE]

hmmm....seems to me torquiose has something against the filipinos. maybe got beaten once or twice. :) just joking, torquoise.

anyway, i'm not "taking on" anyone nor am i trying to defend anyone but maybe i could just give my two cents:

it's considered bad form to attribute traits (good or bad) to an entire race or group of people. sure, i heard the commentator (bob, i think his name was and incidentally, he's filipino) on the asian 9ball tournament saying that they shouldn't applaud the other player's errors. and they shouldn't. but don't we see this happen every time in the mosconi cup (or any other spectator sport, for that matter)? it's just human nature, folks. And another thing: who invented sharking, anyway? it's been there since the beginning.

what do you call strickland's antics? in last year's wpc, he was talking to his taiwanese opponent, making rude comments, etc. In other words, being his usual self. good thing the young player wisely ignored him (he also might not have understood earl anyway) and eventually won the game. now that was classy. good players tune out everything else and concentrate on the task at hand. have you ever seen efren complain or bothered by anything?

These filopino are hustlers with no sportmanship at all. thye move, tlak, foul on yo whichever chance they have got.

again, generalizations usually are fallacies and erroneous (is this a bit redundant?). i've read a lot of posts saying how nice and good-natured the top filipino players are (now, lest i be accused of contradicting myself, this is not a generalization since it specifies only the top players, meaning reyes, bustamante, pagulayan, sambajon, et al).

now earl being earl doesn't mean the entire US contingent are, well, earl-like. much like the entire filipino team are not reyes-like. im sure there are assholes there, too.

as for the audience, remember the event was in singapore, a country with more ties to the chinese than the filipinos. and the filipinos that were actually there are probably expatriates lonely for home. who can blame them for being overly patriotic? besides, their heroes reyes and bustamante were ousted early so valle (by the way, didn't he win the tournament? how come no one's talking about him? all we read in the other posts is how great wu is) was their last chance and they supported him passionately. i know this is not an excuse for heckling, but hey, who can blame them?

Renegade said:
QUOTE]Thyey are great [players, but they do not seem to knwo the meaning of sportmanship until they become good enough to play on TV. The philopines are the worst when it coems to sharking/hustling that i have seen. Of course, i am not taliing about the famous ones like reyes. They aslo were rude when they were watching the game and a philopino player is playing with players form another country. No class at all!

hmmm....seems to me torquiose has something against the filipinos. maybe got beaten once or twice. :) just joking, torquoise.

anyway, i'm not "taking on" anyone nor am i trying to defend anyone but maybe i could just give my two cents:

it's considered bad form to attribute traits (good or bad) to an entire race or group of people. sure, i heard the commentator (bob, i think his name was and incidentally, he's filipino) on the asian 9ball tournament saying that they shouldn't applaud the other player's errors. and they shouldn't. but don't we see this happen every time in the mosconi cup (or any other spectator sport, for that matter)? it's just human nature, folks. And another thing: who invented sharking, anyway? it's been there since the beginning.

what do you call strickland's antics? in last year's wpc, he was talking to his taiwanese opponent, making rude comments, etc. In other words, being his usual self. good thing the young player wisely ignored him (he also might not have understood earl anyway) and eventually won the game. now that was classy. good players tune out everything else and concentrate on the task at hand. have you ever seen efren complain or bothered by anything?

again, generalizations usually are fallacies and erroneous (is this a bit redundant?). i've read a lot of posts saying how nice and good-natured the top filipino players are (now, lest i be accused of contradicting myself, this is not a generalization since it specifies only the top players, meaning reyes, bustamante, pagulayan, sambajon, et al).

now earl being earl doesn't mean the entire US contingent are, well, earl-like. much like the entire filipino team are not reyes-like. im sure there are assholes there, too.

as for the audience, remember the event was in singapore, a country with more ties to the chinese than the filipinos. and the filipinos that were actually there are probably expatriates lonely for home. who can blame them for being overly patriotic? besides, their heroes reyes and bustamante were ousted early so valle (by the way, didn't he win the tournament? how come no one's talking about him? all we read in the other posts is how great wu is) was their last chance and they supported him passionately. i know this is not an excuse for heckling, but hey, who can blame them?[/QUOTE]

I am not talking baout the top players whom u see on TV. When they play on tv, they dont shark. But the general players in their country are unbelivable. Have u been to their country?

Anyway, you are so polite and rational....u making me a bit ashame of myself here. Since no filopinio is going to attack me with their bamboo sticks, I will stop bracing myself here. My legs cant move..YAYAYYAYA

Have you cast your vote yet? It is that time of the year, my friend. Please follow the link in my signature. Thank you.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
thanks torquoise. Actually, i've been to the islands a number of times but i never had the courage nor the inclination to gamble there. I'd like to hear more about your experiences, though. Forewarned is forearmed, ya know. hehe

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
btw, i checked the link and it said that voting was closed already. i would've voted for you, though.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
mjantti said:
WPA ranking doesn't really tell anything but how many WPA santioned events they have been entering.

Anyway, Valle and Gabica are surely rising stars of the RP. I'm still wondering what happened to Ronnie Alcano, he hasn't been finishing in the top lately...

yeah, what happened to alcano?

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Hey Ninoy! Or Bandido!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know more about this 15 year-old filipino player, Mark Mendoza. if he's as good as they say he is, then he could give that equally juvenile taiwanese player Wu a run for his money! Anyone out there have any more info on him?

and who is this jeff "bata" de luna? any relation to efren "bata" reyes? hehe. i know it just means "kid". how old is this jeff, anyway? any other good young guns from the philippines that we should know about (so we can get out of their way )?