Throwing Your Cue....

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I posted this in the Houle thread, but many of you already know how to aim so you probably avoided the thread and missed the info...so I thought I'd copy it here.

Some might think this is extreme, but it isn't.... not at all. I spoke to Jerry from NYC Grind at the Million Dollar 9-ball and just seeing him reminded me to do a video of throwing your cue. I learned this from Nick Mannino nearly 10 years ago. I believe he picked this up from Gene Nagy. At the time, I couldn't incorporate it into my game because my stroke and aiming weren't up to snuff yet.

I use this technique all the time. Although I say you should only stay on the vertical axis of the CB while throwing, you don't have to at all. In fact, it's extremely effective for all shots. I mention vertical axis because I personally use it to cinch crucial shots. When used with Vitello's system or CTE, it removes the human element of b1tching your stroke. Can you b1tch your throw? I guess. Nerves make you tighten-up and turn your cue...making the CB squirt and voila... you miss like a loser.

Long straight-in shots a problem? Do you keep dogging crucial shots for your league team? Do you always dog money balls? You can't steer the cue or tighten-up when the cue is spearing straight through the CB.

Experiment with this... it's easy to learn and will make (save) you moolah.

http://www.poolvids.com/view/52/throwing-your-cue/

P.S. I never really thanked Nick for this because I was young and ignorant 10 years ago and didn't realize how strong this really is. So, if you're out there Nick....."thanks." :)

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I do something similar to this when I'm teaching someone how to use inside english into the side pocket and spin the cue ball down table. (see diagram) The best way to get the action you want on the cue ball is to use the weight of the cue to move the CB forward rather than squirting out on the tangent line.

CueTable Help

The red line represents a rough idea of what happens when you stroke this shot normally. The black line is what happens if you can get the weight of the cue to push through rather than bounce the cue ball off. Hard to put into words, wish I could make a video.

Only difference is that I choke up on the cue, release it, and catch it at the end.
MULLY

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sorry, but thats the most worthless advice I have ever seen in my entire freakin life.
Chuck

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chuck...Not exactly. Although I completely disagree with the OP's letting go of the cuestick, the concept is practical. The most pure stroke there is, is one that uses the weight of the cue, and perfect timing, to create the speed of the shot. The key is to have just the right amount of grip pressure, which is most easily produced (and repeated) with a perfect pendulum swing. I use this technique for EVERY shot...including the break!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

RiverCity said:
Im sorry, but thats the most worthless advice I have ever seen in my entire freakin life.
Chuck

Last edited:

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I posted this in the Houle thread, but many of you already know how to aim so you probably avoided the thread and missed the info...so I thought I'd copy it here.

Some might think this is extreme, but it isn't.... not at all. I spoke to Jerry from NYC Grind at the Million Dollar 9-ball and just seeing him reminded me to do a video of throwing your cue. I learned this from Nick Mannino nearly 10 years ago. I believe he picked this up from Gene Nagy. At the time, I couldn't incorporate it into my game because my stroke and aiming weren't up to snuff yet.

I use this technique all the time. Although I say you should only stay on the vertical axis of the CB while throwing, you don't have to at all. In fact, it's extremely effective for all shots. I mention vertical axis because I personally use it to cinch crucial shots. When used with Vitello's system or CTE, it removes the human element of b1tching your stroke. Can you b1tch your throw? I guess. Nerves make you tighten-up and turn your cue...making the CB squirt and voila... you miss like a loser.

Long straight-in shots a problem? Do you keep dogging crucial shots for your league team? Do you always dog money balls? You can't steer the cue or tighten-up when the cue is spearing straight through the CB.

P.S. I never really thanked Nick for this because I was young and ignorant 10 years ago and didn't realize how strong this really is. So, if you're out there Nick....."thanks." :)

There is NO way I would abuse my table, cloth or cue with this!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
RiverCity said:
Chuck

Well Scott, I usually agree with you :) and if you are talking about a slight slip stroke, we still agree on that. But ... RiverCity, LMAO ..... yep someone is gonna have to go some to out do that one.

(not to mention the "beotch" reference. LOL, Be careful you don't end up getting beotch slapped from some of the fine female players who may take offense to that connotation.)

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Bigjohn said:
There is NO way I would abuse my table, cloth or cue with this!

I'm not into abusing anything. However, my cue has it's share of dings that come about when cracking cues with my opponent, when I'm focused on the lay of the table and crack the butt on the corner of the table, when I'm getting really down on the shot and and stroking probably 1/8" off the rail and manage to rap my knuckles on the rail, or when the pendulum drops and bangs the grip area of the cue into the rail. However, those are all unintentional bumps. All those unintentional bumps and dings are one reason I don't shoot with a really expensive cue. Dinging up a $2000 cue would mess with my mind.

What David is showing in the video is simply a technique for the cue to go positively straight forward. It works.

Whether or not one actually throws the cue as he does in the video is another thing; however, the technique works. It often happens that the cue slips in my hold too, and it sure does result in a straight stroke. Sometimes it comes out of my hand, and that is an unpleasant feeling when it is unintentional.

I once mentioned to Mark Wilson that I noticed that sometimes I do it, unconsciously. He didn't say anything about it, either positive or negative. I wonder why?

Flex

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I know this isn't for everyone, but worthless it's not, LOL. Many of you aren't aware that top players release the cue through impact-- which is why I made the video. I know Scott says he releases and catches... which is more common. I just drop it so I don't worry about the catch. Catching it has nothing to do with the outcome, so I eliminate it.

Gene Nagy used to do this, and he was a 400 ball runner. BTW, it doesn't abuse the cue/table at all. There are no marks on my table.

I'm not here trying to convince anyone-- as far as this goes... "this is what it is." To say it's worthless means you never turn your cue through impact...which, we all know you do.

FYI--- I was just trying to be funny with "b1tching the shot." Just a little comedy relief. There are no female players going to be offended, believe me. If I offended you, put me on your ignore list--- I wouldn't wanna do it again :)

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Great post and video. I tried to give you some Rep but the system wouldn't let me.

Flex

SpiderWebComm said:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...I beg to differ. I do NOT "release and catch" my cue. My cue NEVER slips or slides in my grip hand. I use a very light grip, and finish my stroke...that's all. I do, however, talk about the concept of "throwing the cue", without letting go of the cue...which is completely different from what you're doing in your video.:D

SpiderWebComm said:
I know Scott says he releases and catches... which is more common.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Dave...I beg to differ. I do NOT "release and catch" my cue. My cue NEVER slips or slides in my grip hand. I use a very light grip, and finish my stroke...that's all. I do, however, talk about the concept of "throwing the cue", without letting go of the cue...which is completely different from what you're doing in your video.:D

Sorry, Scott-- I just misread your original post.

I have a question...why would you want to worry about catching it? Just curious. I think it adds an additional swing thought. Your thoughts?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Well, I am pretty sure that if you enter a for you unknown poolhall and shoot like that, throwing your cue without catching, you will definitely be contacted by someone willing to give you the 5 and 7 :D Especially if you miss some balls on purpose too!

I know about the technique "release and catch", but have never seen this before. And to be honest, I don't even want to try it...

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Hey...Roy....

Love the avatar, man.

I started the video by saying it's non-traditional. Not a lot of people are up to speed with the release/drop. Just wanted to open some eyes.

I'd bet my grandmother's Depends that someone on this board checked the video and solved a problem of theirs if they actually tried it. All I know is if I have to do something crucial under massive pressure... my best odds are releasing the cue. May not be everything "thing" baybay, but it's a pill I love to swallow.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Hei spider, sorry I can't say the same about your avatar :D :D :D :D

I looked at your video, and I was surprised by the results of your shots. I might try it, but I doubt I will feel comfortable shooting like that, and if I don't feel comfortable, well, then I shouldn't do it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Roy Steffensen said:
Hei spider, sorry I can't say the same about your avatar :D :D :D :D

I looked at your video, and I was surprised by the results of your shots. I might try it, but I doubt I will feel comfortable shooting like that, and if I don't feel comfortable, well, then I shouldn't do it.

I'm so comfortable doing it, I'm surprised I don't pass out. Give it a go.

I think I need to re-do my avatar. Everyone else's can spot mine the thong-and-out.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally just ad the thought and physically "lighten" my grip on those long or difficult key shots. But, I'll give it some practice and modify to the next step of taking it to a slip stroke just to see if it is effective.

I'm not sure why you would take it past the slip stroke and actually drop your cue though. It seems like the activity of dropping your cue may involve more complicated muscle action than the slip stroke would. Besides that my cue is a piece of my arm after over 25 years, and I would never treat my arm that way. :eek:

Giving it a try today.................

td

Was that you on the TAR mike at the MSO? If it was ...nice job.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
grindz said:
I personally just ad the thought and physically "lighten" my grip on those long or difficult key shots. But, I'll give it some practice and modify to the next step of taking it to a slip stroke just to see if it is effective.

I'm not sure why you would take it past the slip stroke and actually drop your cue though. It seems like the activity of dropping your cue may involve more complicated muscle action than the slip stroke would. Besides that my cue is a piece of my arm after over 25 years, and I would never treat my arm that way. :eek:

Giving it a try today.................

td

Was that you on the TAR mike at the MSO? If it was ...nice job.

Humor me, drop it one time. Drop it like it's hot. What's MSO? I was at the Million Dollar 9ball and I was on the mic at times. They try to keep me off until after 9pm, though :) I prefer an adult audience.

Thanks!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...I personally see no benefit in letting go of the cue at all! A genuinely loose grip, and a 'full-range-of motion' pendulum swing, is all that's required (IMO), to develop a perfect stroke! As you know, I teach that once you understand what your natural range of motion is (according to how your arm works with your body), the cuetip goes to the same place on every shot (including the break). There need not be different lengths of followthrough for different SOP shots (with the exception of what we call XOP shots... those where your normal bridge and normal finish are restricted...such as shooting over a ball, or when the CB & OB are close together). That eliminates a lot of variables that cause people to miss!

BTW...I surmise that grindz "MSO", means Million dollar Shoot Out!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

SpiderWebComm said:
Sorry, Scott-- I just misread your original post.

I have a question...why would you want to worry about catching it? Just curious. I think it adds an additional swing thought. Your thoughts?

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Humor me, drop it one time. Drop it like it's hot. What's MSO? I was at the Million Dollar 9ball and I was on the mic at times. They try to keep me off until after 9pm, though :) I prefer an adult audience.

Thanks!

If I had a room and caught you performing this abuse on my table... I'd throw you right out!:eek:

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
RiverCity said:
Chuck
If this was the most worthless advice you have ever seen, then you must have been born last night.:grin: I'll just quote you something I learned in pool school that just may help you. ""It's what we learn (after we know it all) that counts". -John Wooden
"If you continue to do what you've always done, you will get what you've always gotten". -Kimmie Meisner