Do you let your opponent borrow your jump cue?

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the thread about stuckart's integrity it made me wonder how you guys feel about loaning, say, your jump cue to an opponent after you played a good safe.

The reason I ask is the situation came up in a tourney a couple of weeks ago after I played a pretty good safe.. My opponent wasn't rude during any of the match and seemed to be an ok guy. So, I didn't think anything about loaning him my jump cue when he asked. It did however possibly cost me the match since he lucked the OB in and ran out.

What say you guys about this? Do you make a practice of not loaning any of your equipment or do you freely loan knowing it may cost you?

Gary

Chucklez65

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Same,

It depends on whether this is someone that I am friendly with and will see on a week to week basis or just someone that I am gambling with for the first time. Someone has to figure they are a friend if they ask to use your jump cue I would think.

If its a friend, its not exactly nice to say no...but then if its a friend, I would just offer it up.

Tough question to give an absolute answer to.

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
Ha, ha! In Reno several years back I watched Sam Manaole and Simon Pickering play $200 sets. Sam lost the first set 9-1 then won the second set 9-1. The third set Sam was down and ended up borrowing Simon's jump cue three times to tie the set up. After that, Simon told Sam he couldn't borrow his jump cue anymore, lol. :grin:

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be a question where not everyone has a definitive answer as well as being purely situational. I was sort of taken back when he asked to borrow it since I had never seen him before that tourney. But I let him use it and probably would again if asked as long as they are respectful to me and my equipment.

Gary

Chucklez65 said:
Same,

It depends on whether this is someone that I am friendly with and will see on a week to week basis or just someone that I am gambling with for the first time. Someone has to figure they are a friend if they ask to use your jump cue I would think.

If its a friend, its not exactly nice to say no...but then if its a friend, I would just offer it up.

Tough question to give an absolute answer to.

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the situation but i think it's kind of rude for the opponent to even ask and put you to that decision in the first place.

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
=)

Never.. Haha Thats what you get.. Unless I was playing for funnsies or they hooked there self.. I could see letting them use it but I would never..

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even a friend Duke!!???:p

Gary

Robertduke said:
Never.. Haha Thats what you get.. Unless I was playing for funnsies or they hooked there self.. I could see letting them use it but I would never..

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even a freind.. Ive had them ask.. My reply
"Im not letting you beat me with my own stick." =)~

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just kidding you, man!! I thought the pool gods would smile on me but they didn't!!

Gary

Robertduke said:
Not even a freind.. Ive had them ask.. My reply
"Im not letting you beat me with my own stick." =)~

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ky Boy said:
Just kidding you, man!! I thought the pool gods would smile on me but they didn't!!

Gary
Yeah they smiled on you alright.. haha.. It will come around.. Keep giving your opponent a stick to beat ya with.. haha.. :thumbup:

march11934

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:
It depends on the situation but i think it's kind of rude for the opponent to even ask and put you to that decision in the first place.
I agree with Njhustler. I would have been shocked myself. If this is any kind of competition whether it be tournament or gambling that would be off limits in my opinion. If it were a friend then anything I have is theirs to try. :thumbup:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ky Boy said:
After reading the thread about stuckart's integrity it made me wonder how you guys feel about loaning, say, your jump cue to an opponent after you played a good safe.

The reason I ask is the situation came up in a tourney a couple of weeks ago after I played a pretty good safe.. My opponent wasn't rude during any of the match and seemed to be an ok guy. So, I didn't think anything about loaning him my jump cue when he asked. It did however possibly cost me the match since he lucked the OB in and ran out.

What say you guys about this? Do you make a practice of not loaning any of your equipment or do you freely loan knowing it may cost you?

Gary

i probably wouldn't do it. even if we're cool if he wanted to use one he should have bought one himself.

halhoule

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool

Ky Boy said:

Gary
SILLY QUESTION

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Ky Boy said:

Gary
No by no means!!! I saw Israel Hightower borrow Vick Bagley's jump cue at the Pool Room in Marietta, Ga. during a tournament and this was for the money. Yes he did make the jump and got out from there to win the money. It was the crazest thing I had ever seen.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
During World Pool Championship in Philippines last November, Goran Mladenovic from Europe played someone from Taiwan I think.

For some reason Goran didn't have a jumpcue (Playing WC - equipment not perfect?), and after his opponent played safe on him, Goran asked both the ref and the player if it was ok for him to borrow his friends jumpcue. They both agreed.

Goran waved to his friend, but the friend was far from the table, looking in another direction. I was watching the match on the next table, so I got my jumpcue ready for Goran, but the opponent then approached Goran and offered him to use his cue.

I thought it was real nice of him, since it was the World Championship.

Goran missed the jumpshot, but I think he ended up winning the match. (Not 100% sure about the result)

EDIT:

It happened in the LAST 64-match. Even more impressing... Goran ended up winning the match 10-8.
KO PIN-YI (TPE) 8
G. MLADENOVIC (SER) 10

Last edited: