I SuK Today

DeadStrokeMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use the Wei to see what I mean:
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

My stroke goes from 'diamond' to 'rust' often. Its very strange. I've been "studying" the phenominon for 20 years how. Here are a few of my own 'mental terms' and conditions that I came up with. Thought I share to see if others have noted them:

Wagging - Moving the back hand back and forth..dialing in on the sweet spot

LastSecondChange(LSC) - when you change your line up (feared and changed your mind on the line up) and move the back hand out of position at the final stroke.

AdNauseumSrokes - stoking the ball over and over and over to avoid the LSC (mental 'changed my mind')

Deflection = Lying - thats why I don't like it. The smaller the lie ...happier I am. Here is the CLASSIC tell tale of it:
Hard Spin the CB off the rail to 'toss' the nine in Green is the Meucii Red Dot, black is the predator:
START( %Ir9Q8%PT9N5%Wr8Z6%Xr8S0%Yq3R0%ZT7N3%]r2P3%^T8N4%ei2h1 )END
I can make this shot %95 with the predator. About %75 with my former Meucci (20 year Meucci fan) ..had to "WARM UP" on the shot to test the 'lie' factor. BackHand English is the only this can really be made without a predator (or BLACK DOT) ...but with the length of roll - good luck getting the power out it to drop that nine. For this single shot alone is why I'm a predator fan - EXTREME SIDE SPIN.

The Wag and Snag - when you wag and STROKE QUICKLY - FOUND IT! for fear of moving that backHand out of line in an LSC. I've watch PRO'S do this. Its generates into a 'JAB' shot every time.

The Blink - When you actually SHUT YOURS EYES for second! - Happens on the break must often with people ... not "keeping thier eye on the ball". Can happen other times as well. Few people even realize it happened and don't know why things went wrong.

UnIntentional Masse - Inside english when CB is on/close the rail is the TOUGHEST shot! Almost impossible.
Example - 'B' area is desired:
START( %Ha7D8%Ir3N3%PQ3Z2%Rg1U5%Wr0D2%Xc0D8 )END

--- A bunch more that I need to think about ...one I call the "Roll Over" that happens when your cue "rides" the CB (most often off the rail) causing a long contact and a 'throw' to arise. Hard to describe :)

I have learned that - while "I SuK Today" - tomorrow I'll be PRO again. I just wish I could choose to not play on the SuK days - LOL

Last edited:

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
DeadStrokeMan said:
Use the Wei to see what I mean:
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

My stroke goes from 'diamond' to 'rust' often. Its very strange. I've been "studying" the phenominon for 20 years how. Here are a few of my own 'mental terms' and conditions that I came up with. Thought I share to see if others have noted them:

Wagging - Moving the back hand back and forth..dialing in on the sweet spot

LastSecondChange(LSC) - when you change your line up (feared and changed your mind on the line up) and move the back hand out of position at the final stroke.

AdNauseumSrokes - stoking the ball over and over and over to avoid the LSC (mental 'changed my mind')

Deflection = Lying - thats why I don't like it. The smaller the lie ...happier I am. Here is the CLASSIC tell tale of it:
Hard Spin the CB off the rail to 'toss' the nine in Green is the Meucii Red Dot, black is the predator:
START( %Ir9Q8%PT9N5%Wr8Z6%Xr8S0%Yq3R0%ZT7N3%]r2P3%^T8N4%ei2h1 )END
I can make this shot %95 with the predator. About %75 with my former Meucci (20 year Meucci fan) ..had to "WARM UP" on the shot to test the 'lie' factor. BackHand English is the only this can really be made without a predator (or BLACK DOT) ...but with the length of roll - good luck getting the power out it to drop that nine. For this single shot alone is why I'm a predator fan - EXTREME SIDE SPIN.

The Wag and Snag - when you wag and STROKE QUICKLY - FOUND IT! for fear of moving that backHand out of line in an LSC. I've watch PRO'S do this. Its generates into a 'JAB' shot every time.

The Blink - When you actually SHUT YOURS EYES for second! - Happens on the break must often with people ... not "keeping thier eye on the ball". Can happen other times as well. Few people even realize it happened and don't know why things went wrong.

UnIntentional Masse - Inside english when CB is on/close the rail is the TOUGHEST shot! Almost impossible.
Example - 'B' area is desired:
START( %Ha7D8%Ir3N3%PQ3Z2%Rg1U5%Wr0D2%Xc0D8 )END

--- A bunch more that I need to think about ...one I call the "Roll Over" that happens when your cue "rides" the CB (most often off the rail) causing a long contact and a 'throw' to arise. Hard to describe :)

I have learned that - while "I SuK Today" - tomorrow I'll be PRO again. I just wish I could choose to not play on the SuK days - LOL

What we have here is a pool player multiple personality disorder caused by childhood game loss to an older aged predator.

Not unusual, get back into stroke. Good luck.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
For crying out loud ... man ...

If you have been studying for 20 years, and still lose your stroke, you never knew how to play in the first place. First, variances in a stroke are usually caused by an emotional or physical state at the time. That's why some players choke sometimes, particularly playing for big money (to them), their emotions cause them to come 'unglued'. That's why the better you become, the more you realize how important the mental side to Pool is. Why do you think many young guys game goes to the dogs after breaking up with a girlfriend, their emotions are out of whack.

If you get so good and are pretty experienced, you never lose your stroke, and can usually be stroking pretty smooth after only an hour of playing after not playing for a long time. I hadn't played for 5 months one time after going through a divorce, and went down to a popular gambling spot in town, and played 33 hours straight 9 ball for a $100 a game. During that time playing, I ran 11 straight racks of 9 ball at one point. (7 runs, 4 breaks).

The whole point is TO HAVE A PROPER STROKE TO BEGIN WITH ... So many people take up Pool nowdays without finding out the proper approach to take towards the SPORT .... We call it a game, but it is a sport, and all sports have right ways and wroing ways to approach them to learn how to be good.
That is why you have a brain .... to use it to learn the best ways to do things. Although I no longer think that all brains are created equal, especially after watching pool players play for 30 some years, and still can not figure out even the most basic skills of playing pool. Most people think that just by playing someone else, their game will get better .... How? If you don't practice the basic drills to learn the game the right way. Just as you have to learn basics in baseball, basketball, football, golf, and tennis, you also have to in Pool.

Have an accomplished player and someone that is a very coach watch you play, and then tell you what you are doing wrong. Some players lose their stroke in tense games (emotions cause it) and some players just have a non-standard stroke (improper form) to begin with, like moving your arm from the elbow up to your shoulder when stroking, holding the butt of the stick the wrong way, putting too much weight on the front leg, etc.. If you want to get an exagerated feel for improper form to a bigger degree, just try to do a jump shot with all of your weight on the front leg. Improper form and technique when stroking the cue ball is what limits many players from being better than what they are, and is one of things a hustler, road player, or a real good player will look for when sizing up a possible opponent for a money game. It helps him judge a person's skill level, and figure out how much, if any, that he can spot the person and still win. By the way, most real good players will keep a 1 1/2 balls in reserve in a spot, so if they offer you the 7 and the break, they figure an even game to be the 5 1/2 ball and the break, so to speak.

I studied the sport (3-5 times) a week for 6 months before I ever picked up a cue, all the best players in town, and read 3 books about Pool during that time, then when I decided it was time to learn, I had a good idea of how to approach the sport to learn it, and to become good at it. Although I am physical, I was small growing up, and always had to use my brain to make up for my size in sports growing up, plus I could never stand being 2nd best at anything, especially in sports and business.

By the way, I have played for 43 years, and am 57 years old.

DeadStrokeMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
If you have been studying for 20 years, and still lose your stroke, you never knew how to play in the first place.
Oh come'on - tell me what you really think? Where do you live? - how far from Vegas?
Snapshot9 said:
First, variances in a stroke are usually caused by an emotional or physical state at the time.
Totally - I'm "whining" because I have these viscous allergies - take 'actifed' and it destroys my Mood, My ambition, My motivation and my game. Hence my whining.

Ok - heres the fact: When I'm in stroke - I don't think about any of the dribble I posted (a slightley allergy drug induced pissed off whiney post indeed). I shoot fast - very fast. I can't wait to pump the next ball in and toast out the rack.

When my emotional state is bad - those silly thoughts of "why am I not in stroke" come in to play. Frankly I think the base for most of my issues is simply due to LACK OF EXCERSIZE!

Snapshot9 said:
That's why some players choke sometimes, particularly playing for big money (to them), their emotions cause them to come 'unglued'. That's why the better you become, the more you realize how important the mental side to Pool is. Why do you think many young guys game goes to the dogs after breaking up with a girlfriend, their emotions are out of whack.
Was playin' in the Joss tour last year - First match was against this guy who just experienced a "car wreck" on the way to the tourney. He was PISSED - I took him out fast. He complained about everything. He was his own worst enemy.

Snapshot9 said:
If you get so good and are pretty experienced, you never lose your stroke, and can usually be stroking pretty smooth after only an hour of playing after not playing for a long time.
Yeah - I've made the mistake of not warming up several times. Long drives and lack of sleep - walk right in and match up with a monster. One needs to spend a good 45 minutes to "stroke up" before matching like this. Otherwise, its all downhill from there.

Snapshot9 said:
I hadn't played for 5 months one time after going through a divorce, and went down to a popular gambling spot in town, and played 33 hours straight 9 ball for a $100 a game. During that time playing, I ran 11 straight racks of 9 ball at one point. (7 runs, 4 breaks).
I was a natural at age 15 - I ran the 10'er snooker table often. Nicked named "Wonder Kid" at that time. Ha - the funniest thing is - at that age I had "no worries" in the world at all! Zip! And that attributed mostly to my talent ... The only concern I ever had was "shaping" the next shot - Oh those dayz were the dayz. I lived in the bar with the snooker table (They didn't give a rats ass about underAge in 1975 )

At around 20 or so I spent many months shooting with Keith McCreedy in San Deigo - with a big spot. So I know what a pro is - And I know what a stroke should be.

Snapshot9 said:
Have an accomplished player and someone that is a very coach watch you play, and then tell you what you are doing wrong. Some players lose their stroke in tense games (emotions cause it) and some players just have a non-standard stroke (improper form) to begin with, like moving your arm from the elbow up to your shoulder when stroking, holding the butt of the stick the wrong way, putting too much weight on the front leg, etc.. If you want to get an exagerated feel for improper form to a bigger degree, just try to do a jump shot with all of your weight on the front leg. Improper form and technique when stroking the cue ball is what limits many players from being better than what they are, and is one of things a hustler, road player, or a real good player will look for when sizing up a possible opponent for a money game. It helps him judge a person's skill level, and figure out how much, if any, that he can spot the person and still win. By the way, most real good players will keep a 1 1/2 balls in reserve in a spot, so if they offer you the 7 and the break, they figure an even game to be the 5 1/2 ball and the break, so to speak.
Those were good words of wisdom.

Snapshot9 said:
I studied the sport (3-5 times) a week for 6 months before I ever picked up a cue, all the best players in town, and read 3 books about Pool during that time, then when I decided it was time to learn, I had a good idea of how to approach the sport to learn it, and to become good at it. Although I am physical, I was small growing up, and always had to use my brain to make up for my size in sports growing up, plus I could never stand being 2nd best at anything, especially in sports and business.
I learned a different way - at about 13 ...my mom bought a 9'er bruny - Got my ass kicked by my step brother. It pissed me off - so I spent MONTH AFTER MONTH AFTER MONTH- doing nothing but practice and practice and practice. Then year after year - shot after shot. AFter I blew my step brother off the table badly - he never played me again! Pussy!

Snapshot9 said:
By the way, I have played for 43 years, and am 57 years old.

I'm 44 - have played since I was 13 ... with alot of "sabaticals" in between. Since I'm married with 2 children (and one on the way) ... And we've lived in Southern Utah (The WORST BILLIARDS <non-existant> ON THE PLANET) : Those "sabaticals" were too many.

Fed up - I bought a 1942 Brunswick and shoot every day now. I've had the table for about 5 months now.

Carl (best player I know of in this area) and I play 2 to 3 times a week - matchup 'cheap sessions' at $20 race to 7's. I have video taped alot of these sessions. When I get some time I'll try to post few up on my web site for streaming. Some of the matches are tremendous - Total runOut sessions. Some of the matches are an embarressment to the game :rolleyes:

Both of us have our good and bad days. One thing is common - when we are "bitching" about our game - it either is because of external physiological/emotional conditions - *OR* - The bitching CREATES the condition!

Thank you for your honest and in-depth reply.