Question for everyone

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious;Here where i live,in the southeast, it seems that more and more of the local tournaments are going to bar table events(not necessarily in bars either).A friend who has played much longer than myself says he thinks this trend will continue.(?)I realize this area has always had more small table play but it just seems to that more high level play is being seen on the small tables here.Also Regretfully,i didnt discover pool until my early 40s(3 yrs ago) and was told by an instructor whom i respect that having taken up the game at such a late date i should consider specializing in barbox pool as i probably could remain competitive longer.Any thoughts on that?And lastly,i occasionally read a comment that seems somewhat derisive tword playing on 7 ft tables.The table we play on daily is covered with Simonis and shimmed pretty tight but still a barbox, so is small table pool not considered real pool by players who only play 9ft tables.I wish i had access to a 9 fter but dont so just do the best i can.Thats it(my hands are tired).Thanks,M.Sellers

Pelican

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two tables, a Valley bar box and a 9' Diamond. I,like you, am in the Southeast, L.A. (Lower Alabama). I only know of two 9'ers in the county where I live and I have one of them. Sometimes one of the folks that play in our APA league will come by the store and I will invite 'em in back to hit a few on the big table. I think the size kind of intimidates them at first but if they can shoot they adapt pretty quick.
I don't know that I agree so much with the idea that you could be competative longer on a bar box. Ronnie Allen, Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, etc. seem to be doing OK on big tables. I believe it has more to do with your sight. If you have good vision I don't feel the extra 20 inches of playing surface the long way will make that much of a difference. I mean, look at me, heck I'm 60 and can't shoot worth a crap on either one - but do have a good time playing the game. I have had a special pair of glasses made for a range of around 4 to 10 feet and they seem to help some. Astigmatism still gives me a slight double image on the edge of the balls causing them to take on a somewhat oval shape.

Damn, got carried away. At any rate, if you get good on a bar box you can move to the big table and learn to make the adjustment.

Oh, I have an idea that might help folks like me with bad eyes. If it works I'll let y'all know.

Later, Pel

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
we only have bar boxes in our gameroom,,,most in-house leagues within 30-40 miles have 7 footers, too,,,some have a couple of 8' tables, one has a 9' diamond, but I seriously doubt it will ever pay for itself....apa leagues play on 7' tables, too.

IMHO, initial price for new tables plus room space available limits folks in my area to 7' tables,,,the ecomomy is slow right now and we don't anticipate any new expansions.

all of my Dynamos have over 60,000 hits on their counters, so they are paid for many times over,,,they've been kept up religiously and may outlast me,,,LOL

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Muxy said:
dang, i have never played on a bar box :(, only 9 footers.

I'm sure you'll get in a game or two on bar boxes my young friend ... in three years or so ! :D

Dave

FLICKit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Flanagan said:
we only have bar boxes in our gameroom,,,most in-house leagues within 30-40 miles have 7 footers, too,,,some have a couple of 8' tables, one has a 9' diamond, but I seriously doubt it will ever pay for itself....apa leagues play on 7' tables, too.

IMHO, initial price for new tables plus room space available limits folks in my area to 7' tables,,,the ecomomy is slow right now and we don't anticipate any new expansions.

all of my Dynamos have over 60,000 hits on their counters, so they are paid for many times over,,,they've been kept up religiously and may outlast me,,,LOL

APA will play on any size tables (7, 8, or 9 footers). No matter what league (BCA, VNEA, TAP, ...) you play in (unless it's in-house only), when it comes to the big tournaments, they're basically all on 7 footers (unfortunately).

9 footers are great for developing shooting accuracy, cue ball movement, and wide open play.

On 7 footers (even tight pockets), you're gonna have to deal primarily with cluster management, and very precise cue ball position play.

One of the other reasons why so many local tournaments are on bar boxes tables, is so that the Bar can collect the money they get from the coin ops. Also, generally, the games go faster on the bar boxes. And of course the obvious, can fit more 7 footers in an establishment.

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
I agree with all who have posted thus far...I've played for 25+ years...grew up in the northeast, (Jersey, nieghborhood room was Loree Johns; ie Loree John Jones), so I've always played on 9's, but when Pops got a table for the house he bought an 8', (all about space)...anyway been League playing for three years now in ATL...all the bars have 7' Valley's, some may have an occasional 8' Diamond...all the APA Nationals are on 7' Valley's...I have personally moved to In-House leagues in real Pool Rooms so that I can play on 9's all the time...although the first In-House I joined, (Mr Cues II), had 8's and 9's, and League night was on the 8's...I now play at The Side Pockket, and they've got eight 7's...typically given to the boyfriend/girlfriend crowd...regulars play on 9' Olhausen's & Gandy's...the only difference in table sizes is geometry...better to play on 9's...more of a challenge...drawback to 7's is clusters...but 7's, 8's or 9's should not make a difference to any advanced player...if you compete on 7's, (league night/tournaments), practice on 9's...and soon the pockets on 7's will look like buckets!...

FLICKit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jersey said:
I agree with all who have posted thus far...I've played for 25+ years...grew up in the northeast, (Jersey, nieghborhood room was Loree Johns; ie Loree John Jones), so I've always played on 9's, but when Pops got a table for the house he bought an 8', (all about space)...anyway been League playing for three years now in ATL...all the bars have 7' Valley's, some may have an occasional 8' Diamond...all the APA Nationals are on 7' Valley's...I have personally moved to In-House leagues in real Pool Rooms so that I can play on 9's all the time...although the first In-House I joined, (Mr Cues II), had 8's and 9's, and League night was on the 8's...I now play at The Side Pockket, and they've got eight 7's...typically given to the boyfriend/girlfriend crowd...regulars play on 9' Olhausen's & Gandy's...the only difference in table sizes is geometry...better to play on 9's...more of a challenge...drawback to 7's is clusters...but 7's, 8's or 9's should not make a difference to any advanced player...if you compete on 7's, (league night/tournaments), practice on 9's...and soon the pockets on 7's will look like buckets!...

Here League play is on all size tables (7', 8' and 9'). Some areas may be different.

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
FLICKit said:
Here League play is on all size tables (7', 8' and 9'). Some areas may be different.
Here too...I play APA, BCA and TAP on whatever the Room has...moved to In House so I wouldn't have to travel...all my league nights are In House on 9's...APA 8-ball @ Side Pockket, (Gandy's/Olhausen's)...BCA 9-ball @ The Pool Room, (Gold Crown's/Olhausen's)...TAP 8-ball @ The Pool Room, (Gold Crown's/Olhausen's)...

hobokenapa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bar tables

Our APA 9-ball League is on 9ft only, but when I went to the APA Regional, it is all bar tables. So I was playing APA 9-ball on a bar table with a handicap that is judged on big tables. I had never played 9-ball on a bar table before. Needless to say it was very easy. Once I got the speed of table, I could use my straight pool position knowledge to run balls easily including 33 point run. Now I'm going to Vegas! :)

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hobokenapa said:
Our APA 9-ball League is on 9ft only, but when I went to the APA Regional, it is all bar tables. So I was playing APA 9-ball on a bar table with a handicap that is judged on big tables. I had never played 9-ball on a bar table before. Needless to say it was very easy. Once I got the speed of table, I could use my straight pool position knowledge to run balls easily including 33 point run. Now I'm going to Vegas! :)

Exact same thing happened to my 9-ball team a few years back. We shot 9-footers all season and in Vegas they were 7. Got a lot of crap as far as people thinking we sandbagged but those 7 footers in Vegas were tough to miss on. As a 6, I had a 31 ball run against a 7. Talk about pissed...

Koop