One-eyed fella needs some help!

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for years. I have never practiced but rather just played many games. I was naturally better than most and won a lot. But for the last few months I have been concentrating on becoming a better player. So much has changed like my stance(which I am not comfortable with), my bridge(which I am not comfortable with) and my targeting points.

I have one little problem. I am blind in my left eye.

Does anyone have any advice or a link where I can read about someone else with this problem and how he/she deals with it on the pool table?

Anything will help right about now! Thanks!

JrockJustin said:
I have been playing pool for years. I have never practiced but rather just played many games. I was naturally better than most and won a lot. But for the last few months I have been concentrating on becoming a better player. So much has changed like my stance(which I am not comfortable with), my bridge(which I am not comfortable with) and my targeting points.

Does anyone have any advice or a link where I can read about someone else with this problem and how he/she deals with it on the pool table?

I wish I could help you, but you bring up an interesting point. I've often wondered what level Kim Davenport plays at now compared to where he was since his accident. Did this just happen or has it been a while? Too bad you can't talk to Kim.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
JrockJustin said:

Tom Brown is a pro that had last an eye to cancer. The guy plays phenomenal. Perhaps someone on the board can put you in touch with him.

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi
It depends on when you lost your vision. I've been blind in my right eye for 20 years and it doesn't bother me. If the loss occcurred more recently it will take longer to adapt. My doctor had told me that I was "lucky" in that respect since when you are younger the body adapts quicker.
Hope this helps
Paul

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Well, if you are Right Eye Dominant, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I can play with my left eye closed just as well as i can with both eyes open.
My normal stance has my chin around 4-8" above the cue, and if i look down, the cue is under my right eye. You might want to try and adjust your stance that way, and see if it helps. One big problem you might run in to, would be a "backwards cut" to the left, where you would be shooting into a "blind pocket".

Just a thought,

Jon

BillardBill

Registered
I hope you find something that works for you. I wish you all the luck. Keep your chin up and find a groove sounds like its not impossible.

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks you guys...

Thanks for the great advice everyone...

sorry it took me a while to reply to my own thread.

I will try to keep my chin a bit higher to see if it helps...

any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Al-fahl Amir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JrockJustin said:
Thanks for the great advice everyone...

sorry it took me a while to reply to my own thread.

I will try to keep my chin a bit higher to see if it helps...

any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get some tapes on Niels Feijen and copy his stance and stroke. Niels is legally blind in his left eye which also leaves him with no depth perception. I feel Niels has to work a little bit harder than some of the other guys, but with hard work and dedication anything is possible. He will be in the States for a couple of tournaments, if I go down on the weekend to watch his matches and your there, I'll get you guys together so you can talk.

Last edited:

billyjungle

jack russell breeder
Silver Member
Richard Kranicki's "Answers to a pool players prayers" is very definitive on refining your (head) alignment and might prove useful in attaining consistency.It's a relatively "dry" read ,though IMHO

hope this helps,
Billy J. :cool:

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually you have an advantage!

My uncle lost an eye in a war, then his pool game improved dramatically. I hear he was hard to beat (was just a recreational player).

Try "birds eye view" -vs- "getting down on the shot" or both. Do whatever works best.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
eye problems

hey, i'm blind in my right eye.
let's put our heads together ;) ;) and play pool.
seriously, my biggest problem with being blind in one eye is depth perception. i have a terrible time judging distance, especially of a straight in ball and using the bridge. wondering if you have same problem.
i was born with defect so i have no idea what seeing with both eyes is like.

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow!!!

stix4sale said:
hey, i'm blind in my right eye.
let's put our heads together ;) ;) and play pool.
seriously, my biggest problem with being blind in one eye is depth perception. i have a terrible time judging distance, especially of a straight in ball and using the bridge. wondering if you have same problem.
i was born with defect so i have no idea what seeing with both eyes is like.

I was also born with the same defect! And I also have no idea what seeing with both eyes is like!But I am blind in my left eye... wow, the two of us together, imagine the possibilities! lol...

I do have the same problem, I am absolutely horrible with the bridge as well. Depth perception is so difficult. Sometimes I misscue or foul when my tip hits the white ball while trying to concentrate, hate that! distance is difficult as well.

But I do think at times, us one-eyed fellas have an advantage like stated in a post above...

This is so great to know of other players with the same problem!

Justin

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billyjungle said:
Richard Kranicki's "Answers to a pool players prayers" is very definitive on refining your (head) alignment and might prove useful in attaining consistency.It's a relatively "dry" read ,though IMHO

hope this helps,
Billy J. :cool:

Thanks Billy, I hope to find that book somewhere... I definitely need help with attaining consistency!

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, great!

Al-fahl Amir said:
Get some tapes on Niels Feijen and copy his stance and stroke. Niels is legally blind in his left eye which also leaves him with no depth perception. I feel Niels has to work a little bit harder than some of the other guys, but with hard work and dedication anything is possible. He will be in the States for a couple of tournaments, if I go down on the weekend to watch his matches and your there, I'll get you guys together so you can talk.

Do you think he will be at the World Summit of Pool in NYC? I have a few friends playing in that tournament and will be heading home from Korea to watch... thanks for you help Al-fahl!

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
JrockJustin said:
I was also born with the same defect! And I also have no idea what seeing with both eyes is like!But I am blind in my left eye... wow, the two of us together, imagine the possibilities! lol...

I do have the same problem, I am absolutely horrible with the bridge as well. Depth perception is so difficult. Sometimes I misscue or foul when my tip hits the white ball while trying to concentrate, hate that! distance is difficult as well.

But I do think at times, us one-eyed fellas have an advantage like stated in a post above...

This is so great to know of other players with the same problem!

Justin

JUSTIN, WE COULD DUCTTAPE OUR HEADS TOGETHER. LIKE SIAMESE TWINS.LOL
THEN WE WOULD HAVE TO PLAY ALTERNATING SHOT. :D

Al-fahl Amir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JrockJustin said:
Do you think he will be at the World Summit of Pool in NYC? I have a few friends playing in that tournament and will be heading home from Korea to watch... thanks for you help Al-fahl!

I believe he will be going. If I'm not there, I'll tell him about you, so you can just go up and ask him. Niels is a very nice guy and I'm sure he would be more than happy to help you out the best he can.

wood600rr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Tom Brown is a pro that had last an eye to cancer. The guy plays phenomenal. Perhaps someone on the board can put you in touch with him.

Tom Brown
Brown's Billiards
1595 N Nova Rd
Holly Hill, Fl 32117
(386) 254-4763

He lost his sight in one eye when he was 15. At that time, He was already a 100 ball runner. It took some time to adjust, but he was very competitive at the pro level at one time

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I haven't seen any info that will help you but I will keep an eye out for anything that might be of assistance.

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

Al-fahl Amir said:
I believe he will be going. If I'm not there, I'll tell him about you, so you can just go up and ask him. Niels is a very nice guy and I'm sure he would be more than happy to help you out the best he can.

You have been of great help, and I look forward to meeting with Niels! thanks again!

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am game!

stix4sale said:
JUSTIN, WE COULD DUCTTAPE OUR HEADS TOGETHER. LIKE SIAMESE TWINS.LOL
THEN WE WOULD HAVE TO PLAY ALTERNATING SHOT. :D

Hahahahaha... let's do it!