Top Gear !
Old
  (#1)
stolz2
Kid Mack
stolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond reputestolz2 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to stolz2  
Top Gear ! - 03-17-2005, 02:20 AM

Just wanted to get some opinions on what pro's you guys think have the highest top gear? I personaly think its earl strickland. Any body have any good stories of watching a pro hit a top gear, I have seen it a few times and it amazes me.

Mack

Old
  (#2)
Bobby
AzB Silver Member
Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2005, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolz2
Just wanted to get some opinions on what pro's you guys think have the highest top gear? I personaly think its earl strickland. Any body have any good stories of watching a pro hit a top gear, I have seen it a few times and it amazes me.

Mack
Definitely Earl Strickland. If you watch tapes of
Earl from the early 90's and even 80's he seems to
almost always be in stroke, it's awesome to see.
I also saw Kid Delicious in dead stroke about
5 years ago, he was thin at the time. My god, he
seemed absolutely unbeatable.

In snooker it's without a doubt Ronnie O'Sullivan.
I've never seen anything like him, in my opinion
he's the greatest cueist in the world bar none.

Old
  (#3)
Celtic
AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Celtic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-17-2005, 03:03 AM

Earl is a really good pick. He is a guy I would not buy anywhere near the top of the Calcutta in Calgary with the field that will be there because of his head and the fact he is super inconsisent. When he is at his absolute best though and does not let his brain get in the way I dont think there is anyone on earth that can beat him.

O'Sullivan is simply the best natural talent with a cue, period. His 147 in under 5 minutes was ludicrous.

Old
  (#4)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

03-17-2005, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic
Earl is a really good pick. He is a guy I would not buy anywhere near the top of the Calcutta in Calgary with the field that will be there because of his head and the fact he is super inconsisent. When he is at his absolute best though and does not let his brain get in the way I dont think there is anyone on earth that can beat him.

O'Sullivan is simply the best natural talent with a cue, period. His 147 in under 5 minutes was ludicrous.
And if pool ever had a reality show those two (Strickland & O'Sullivan) would be my first two cast members, throw Keith in their for comic relief, a few more top players with varying degrees of personality, and we can even call the show "Top Gear".... players are eliminated on a weekly basis when they call each other out, run outta cash - you're out. I think it would work.

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

My Picks
Old
  (#5)
ScottR
AzB Silver Member
ScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond repute

My Picks - 03-17-2005, 06:43 AM

Mike Sigel in his prime. Very scary in all games.

Raymond Cuelemans in 3c - not that anybody remembers THAT game.

IMHO

"No need to get all colored text on me." - JCIN

Old
  (#6)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

03-17-2005, 08:35 AM

In recent times, I'd say it's too close to call between Earl Strickland and Fong Pang Chao. When these guys find the zone, they are nearly impossible to beat. Still, I would rate Mike Sigel in his prime over both in this regard.

Old
  (#7)
Celtic
AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Celtic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-17-2005, 08:44 AM

As much as I think Mike Siegel is/was the top 9-ball ever and the best straight pool player of the modern era I dont really think of him in a thread like this. The guy was virtually ALWAYS in top gear it seems and as such there is no hidden uber speed the guy had, he simply always shot awesome and it made his opponents terrified to miss. As phenomenal as he was, I think better then Efren when both were at their prime I dont see him as so completely dominating a player as Earl could be when he went off. Mike was always slow and methodical and controled, Earl once in a while simply went on auto pilot and stroked everything in with no thought like the game was simple as pie, Mike never really flowed like that or made the game look that basic. Earl in full stroke shooting his best would pound a tough ball in with perfect shape that Mike would never even attempt to shoot and instead play safe. I know he was great at safes but the guy who instead makes the ball and keeps the run alive instead of giving away the table to a tough kick gets my vote.

Old
  (#8)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

03-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolz2

Mack
One of the best examples of a player hitting top gear is the 1992 US Open Final between Tommy Kennedy & Johnny Archer. Tommy hit top gear and beat Archer 9-1 in one of the greatest matches you'll ever see. I'm pretty sure that this match is still a top seller over at Accu-stats.

I'd also like to say that Lou Butera hits the zone unlike anyone I have ever seen. Nobody can beat Scotty Townsend when he gets in gear - nobody! Another guy that is unstoppable once he gets going is Dennis Hatch. His eyes can burn a hole through the cue ball and he just gets stronger with every ball he makes.

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

top gear
Old
  (#9)
JumpnJme
AzB Bronze Member
JumpnJme is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb top gear - 03-17-2005, 09:43 AM

i agree, i have been on the recieving end of scotty townsends top gear, but you also have to put jack hines in this group also.

Old
  (#10)
crow
Caw Caw
crow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond reputecrow has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpnJme
i agree, i have been on the recieving end of scotty townsends top gear, but you also have to put jack hines in this group also.
Tony Watson is another great gear player. When he hits it, he wins every game no matter who they are.

Kevin

Old
  (#11)
Bobby
AzB Silver Member
Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm
In recent times, I'd say it's too close to call between Earl Strickland and Fong Pang Chao. When these guys find the zone, they are nearly impossible to beat. Still, I would rate Mike Sigel in his prime over both in this regard.

I agree about Mike Sigel, he's the best pool player
I've ever seen. The only reason I picked Earl earlier
is that when he's in dead punch there's an aura to
him, he's like a freight train running through racks.
With Sigel it's not apparent right away, he looks
like he does on any other day, only he's not missing!

Old
  (#12)
MexPoolPlyr
AzB Silver Member
MexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond reputeMexPoolPlyr has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2005, 06:10 PM

Rafael Martinez's top gear is disgusting, its unlike anything i've ever seen on tape or in person. He does things and goes for shots that "aren't suppose to be shot" and makes them with ease. Quite phenomenal, he ran 5 of the most impossible racks on very tight pockets against me. Left me 5-0, cleared the set out. Players mentioned also good picks.

Ditto
Old
  (#13)
ScottR
AzB Silver Member
ScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto - 03-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
I agree about Mike Sigel, he's the best pool player
I've ever seen. The only reason I picked Earl earlier
is that when he's in dead punch there's an aura to
him, he's like a freight train running through racks.
With Sigel it's not apparent right away, he looks
like he does on any other day, only he's not missing!
When you have the overdrive gear all the time, it's not so apparent. No whining. No complaining. Maybe a LITTLE sharking.

To quote McGoorty about Willie Hoppe (and it applies to Sigel), "he would just walk out into the arena and stick the balls up the other guy's ass and not say a thing about it."

Yup. It's Mike Sigel. IMHO

"No need to get all colored text on me." - JCIN

Old
  (#14)
Hal
Beer Player
Hal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1900

03-18-2005, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
And if pool ever had a reality show those two (Strickland & O'Sullivan)
Don't forget John "nut case" Hennessee

Old
  (#15)
huckster
AzB Silver Member
huckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2005, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpnJme

Scotty and Jack both have a top gear that is unbelievable, but usaully chemically induced. Speaking of Jack he attempted to answer Tony Chohan's challenge but Tony wanted to play one pocket, or adjust from the way they played in Beumont. (T-Rex got the eight)

Huckster

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: