Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Green or Blue Simonis 860
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Green or Blue Simonis 860
Old
  (#1)
FastMikie
AzB Silver Member
FastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
Location: Looking out over the Pacific and breathing pure fresh air in beautiful Del Mar, California
  Send a message via Skype™ to FastMikie 
Question Green or Blue Simonis 860 - 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM

I need to recover my Gold Crown IV and was thinking maybe I would go with the light blue you see on so many tables nowadays, rather than the traditional green.

It seems that the blue would not show the blue chalk marks and the burn marks (from breaking and masse' shots) as much as the green. Do blue and green play the same? I also heard that there will be less shadow under the rails with the blue cloth...

I'd appreciate some feedback on which would be the better choice?

Thanks!

Favorite game: 14.1 straight pool
Playing cue: Samsara #1676, 19.2 oz, Predator 314 series 2 shaft, 30", Kamui soft tip, Kamui chalk
Break cue: Predator Willie Hoppe, 18.7 oz, 314 series 2 shaft, 29", Tiger XH tip, Kamui chalk
Case: Jim Murnak Vintage
Table: Brunswick Gold Crown IV

Blog: Diary of a Pool Shooter - The Adventures of Fast Mikie
My YouTube Pool Videos

Old
  (#2)
muttley76
"Time to GET BUSY...."
muttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond reputemuttley76 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1315

09-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Never thought that I would like anything other than tournament green, but, the tourney blue is the absolute nuts.

playing cue: budweiser
break cue: southwest

One taste of the sweet rod and she'd be back down to earth.--the infamous Corvette

"My c#*& is beautiful!!!" --Easy E to our waitress

just to be clear i john andrew schmidt aka mr400 am officially calling danny harriman ,a little *****,a medium sized *****,and super sized ***** with fries.

Old
  (#3)
mantis99
AzB Silver Member
mantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond reputemantis99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-23-2008, 02:54 PM

I just can't move away from green!

Old
  (#4)
zombiemodder
AzB Silver Member
zombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond reputezombiemodder has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2008, 02:55 PM

I like the blue... Just my 2 cents.

Old
  (#5)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

09-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley76
Never thought that I would like anything other than tournament green, but, the tourney blue is the absolute nuts.

my thoughts exactly, the blue is the best, i never would have thought i would say that.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

There is a Blue-Green color.
Old
  (#6)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

There is a Blue-Green color. - 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM

I like the tournament Blue or Green, but both have a particular disadvantage to me. <----slightly color blind.

I like the blue/gree the 6 ball actually stands out as a bright green instead of dissapearing into the green cloth.

But, if I had my choice... Green it is.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 53 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 8+

Old
  (#7)
pocketspeed
AzB Silver Member
pocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond reputepocketspeed has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 880

09-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMikie
I need to recover my Gold Crown IV and was thinking maybe I would go with the light blue you see on so many tables nowadays, rather than the traditional green.

It seems that the blue would not show the blue chalk marks and the burn marks (from breaking and masse' shots) as much as the green. Do blue and green play the same? I also heard that there will be less shadow under the rails with the blue cloth...

Thanks!
i have the tournament blue on my table and will probably never go back to green again (although i always thought of myself as a traditionalist), but it think its all about the look you want b/c the blue cloth shows chalk marks and burn marks just like the green. i dont the blue plays any different from the green. either way you wont be disappointed.

brian

Old
  (#8)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Hi Mike when I bought my table I told Aaron at Diamond to go with green and later I changed my mind and went with tournament blue. Aaron told me at that time that they (Simonis) had done studies on it and the blue was not only easiest on the eyes but it was the best color for showing definition between the balls and the cloth.With in a week of having my table covered Glen (RKC) let me know that there is a new Simonis blue that fades less and doesn't mark so easily. I hope this helps. Jim

Cuebuddy

Blue...
Old
  (#9)
gregoryg
AzB Silver Member
gregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond reputegregoryg has a reputation beyond repute

Blue... - 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Way back when, I gave myself a graduation present from high school of a pool table. Just a home model Brunswick, 8 foot with 3/4" slate bed. Did not know any better, but it was my table and I chose the same kind of blue that has become the standard for tournament use. Who knew I would be ahead of the curve on that one?!?!?!? Once I get done with my home renovations, the Diamond table that is going to get put on the lower level of my house is going to be covered in tournament blue Simonis 860, I can't wait!!!!!

Playing cue, Tim Scruggs custom, 1 of a kind, my design, Scruggs hustler break cue, a bunch of Runde era Schon's

My 2 cents of advice
Old
  (#10)
Stewscue
Azbilliardacademy
Stewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond reputeStewscue has a reputation beyond repute

Smile My 2 cents of advice - 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Have a diamond pro-am 4.5 X 9

I have the blue cloth 860 sim.
I have never had anything except green until this table

Blue is a big change yes the ball show up better but everything else does too
Blue masters chalk looks black on the felt
I clean this table much more than I have had to in the past
Just my real life two cents

Carl Stewart, MBA, MIS
BCA Certified Instructor
Arizona Billiard Academy (ABA)
E-mail azbilliardacademy@gmail.com
Website www.arizonabilliardacademy.com
Phone 602-820-7665

Old
  (#11)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

CrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMikie

Thanks!
Blue is faster than Green. I had always "felt" this, but it was confirmed to me in a call with an industry insider earlier today.

Old
  (#12)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewscue
Blue is a big change yes the ball show up better but everything else does too
Blue masters chalk looks black on the felt
I clean this table much more than I have had to in the past ...
It's interesting that the blue chalk, which seems to be about as bright as the cloth, shows up as black. The same chalk shows up a lot less on green cloth, somehow, but just as much chalk must be there. Maybe Master has to develop a slightly lighter shade of blue. On the other hand, it's still a good idea to clean the cloth more frequently.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#13)
FastMikie
AzB Silver Member
FastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond reputeFastMikie has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Looking out over the Pacific and breathing pure fresh air in beautiful Del Mar, California
  Send a message via Skype™ to FastMikie 
09-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCityCorey
Blue is faster than Green. I had always "felt" this, but it was confirmed to me in a call with an industry insider earlier today.
I thought the same thing! I played for the first time on some blue cloth this past weekend at Shoreline Billiards in Mountain View, CA. I really liked how fast it was playing. Sweet.

Favorite game: 14.1 straight pool
Playing cue: Samsara #1676, 19.2 oz, Predator 314 series 2 shaft, 30", Kamui soft tip, Kamui chalk
Break cue: Predator Willie Hoppe, 18.7 oz, 314 series 2 shaft, 29", Tiger XH tip, Kamui chalk
Case: Jim Murnak Vintage
Table: Brunswick Gold Crown IV

Blog: Diary of a Pool Shooter - The Adventures of Fast Mikie
My YouTube Pool Videos

Old
  (#14)
Marop
14.1 - real pool
Marop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond reputeMarop has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2008, 03:55 PM

I would never go back to green after playing on the Tournament Blue. Much brighter and better contrast.

Old
  (#15)
TXsouthpaw
My tush hog
TXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-23-2008, 03:56 PM

pool table cloth has always been and should always be green.

And if it does play faster then you gotta adjust when you go play elsewhere. What do the local pool halls and tournaments have near you?

If blue shows the balls better than that means if you go play a tourney on green youll have trouble seeing the edges of balls???

When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience.- Proverb

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: