Pool in the News - Brits wonder where Allison has gone

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
A little something from the Sunday Times (A UK major newpaper's Sunday edition) showing that someone in the UK has just realized all their great female Snooker players have disappeared:

"Q What became of former women’s world snooker champion Allison Fisher? — Philippa Laing, Dumfries

A Having spent several years as snooker’s best woman player, Allison Fisher is established as the world’s leading female nine-ball player. Nine-ball is an American game that is similar to the pool played in most British pubs. She has won more nine-ball tournaments (61) than all of her rivals combined and more than five times as many as the woman in second place. She claimed her first world snooker title at 17 and went on to win it seven times, as well as three world mixed doubles and a world ladies’ doubles title, as she bagged more than 80 titles in total. For all of her success, Fisher grew bored because there was nobody to provide her with a real challenge. She was also finding it difficult to make a living from snooker, so in 1995 she went to the US to compete in the women’s professional billiards pro 9-ball tour. She won the second tournament she entered and has never looked back, winning the world championship in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2000. Now billed as ‘The Duchess of Doom’, she is still ranked No 1 and has already hit the winning trail this year.— Clement Fredericks, Ipswich"

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i have heard and been told by someone who has some aquaintance with british snooker, that fisher actually pocketed good money while in britain, ceratinly more than what she's made here, which goes against at least one reason for her leaving england to play here.

hobokenapa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
A little something from the Sunday Times (A UK major newpaper's Sunday edition) showing that someone in the UK has just realized all their great female Snooker players have disappeared:

You gotta realise that 9-ball is predominent in American only. Everywhere else it's snooker. I remember seeing a program during the World Series last year and about 90-95% of Londoners had no idea where Yankee stadium was, what sport was played there, and could not name a single player. The rest of the world pretty much ignores the sport played here.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
hobokenapa said:
You gotta realise that 9-ball is predominent in American only. Everywhere else it's snooker. I remember seeing a program during the World Series last year and about 90-95% of Londoners had no idea where Yankee stadium was, what sport was played there, and could not name a single player. The rest of the world pretty much ignores the sport played here.

And can you name the even one British Cricket star or the Irish Hurling MVP. I know I can't. With the exception of soccer most sports really stay within national borders. Even at that usually with a minority of the population giving a rat's behind about who plays it. One thing I found as I got older is that sports became meaningless and kind of boring for me unless I or one of my kids was participating.
Though sports are good for starting flame wars on internet forums. :D

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:

If they don't protect their treasures, they'll lose them. :D

Now the questions is ... as a former Brit (probably snooker player) do you feel you've lost something or .... as an American 9-ball player do you feel you've gained something or ... both?

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hobokenapa said:
You gotta realise that 9-ball is predominent in American only.

In Asia 9-ball and pool for that matter is pretty predominant, in Chinese Taipei pool is the second most popular sport behind soccer. Alot of people would agree with me when I say pool is as popular if not more popular over in Asia, pool is also government sponsored in Chinese Taipei with a Nationally televised weekly tour. The Brits may not have a clue about the game, but it is very popular in many parts of Asia.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
catscradle said:
Now the questions is ... as a former Brit (probably snooker player) do you feel you've lost something or .... as an American 9-ball player do you feel you've gained something or ... both?

I guess it would be both. I am very happy for the women who were unable to make a good living with their cue skills have managed to become a big success in America and saddened they were unable to do this in the UK.

However the other weird thing is that fact that many of the male players in the USA often earn less than the ladies do (In terms of tournament payouts and endorsements), due to the persistent lack of a unified US Men's pro tour and minimal levels of TV coverage.

hobokenapa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catscradle said:
And can you name the even one British Cricket star or the Irish Hurling MVP. With the exception of soccer most sports really stay within national borders.

Absolutely.

catscradle said:
Even at that usually with a minority of the population giving a rat's behind about who plays it.

True on the club level, but not true on the international level. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. When national teams are playing in the World Cup, the streets in all major cities of the participating countries are deserted (except USA).