Dale Perry Cues

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I'd like to get some opinions on cues by Dale Perry. Has anyone in this group played with one of his cues or is anyone currently playing with one and what do you think of it? I've seen some nice looking cues made by Dale on ebay for reasonable prices.

Thanks,
SCCues

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
SCCues said:
I'd like to get some opinions on cues by Dale Perry. Has anyone in this group played with one of his cues or is anyone currently playing with one and what do you think of it?
I have two DP's that I purchased a few years ago. They are both constructed well IMO. The shafts are interchangeable (uni-lock), however I think he has started using radial pins on most of his current cue production. I played with one of the DP's for about a year. No complaints.

SCCues said:
I've seen some nice looking cues made by Dale on ebay for reasonable prices.
This is the only thing I am disappointed in: when I bought my cues, standard 4 point DP's were going for around a thousand bucks (give or take a bit for ivory, inlays, etc). But generally, they demanded somewhat of a premium. After he started selling a large volume of cues at low(er) prices on eBay, the value of my DP's has been artificially suppressed. Other cue makers use eBay to get their name out (almost like advertising), while DP has used it to move vast quantities of cues. It sounds like a sound business desicion for him, and unfortunately, a de facto poor investment desision for me...

Overall, DP cues are a good purchase as you can get a nice looking / playing cue at relatively low prices on eBay.

-td

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SCCues said:
I'd like to get some opinions on cues by Dale Perry. Has anyone in this group played with one of his cues or is anyone currently playing with one and what do you think of it? I've seen some nice looking cues made by Dale on ebay for reasonable prices.

Thanks,
SCCues

I bought one on ebay. Really pretty and hits well. He's
selling too many cues on ebay in my opinion but
it's the only way I would have gotten a cue that nice
for what I paid for it.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one, key word "had".

I had no complaints with the cue at all. It hit great. But when you have a $500 cue that you cannot get over $200 for anymore because the owner decides to flood ebay with his cues at a VERY low cost, I have a complaint. I bought my cue from him to what I thought was a good deal, until he started selling all cues on ebay with no reserve and a starting bid of $9.99. His name because synonnymous with "cheap" nowadays....

Notice he now starts cues much higher and more often with a reserve. I don't think he will get his reputation on high dollar cues back.

No, I wouldn't buy one again.

hotcues

Biggest Edwin Reyes Fan
Silver Member
SCCues said:

Thanks,
SCCues
I have played with one and have sold three. I've shot with one for two yrs(first time in ten yr). I use to change cues every 4 or 5 months. They play stiff. I think you get alot of cue for the money! :D I have 27 cues including SW, joss east, joss west, samsara, robinson, hern, dp, schon, mcdermott, viking, kikel, troy downey, and mottey. Pm me if you like help! ;) I do have two dp for sale.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
hotcues said:
They play stiff. I think you get alot of cue for the money!

I can second this. I bought one online and had to send it back to have the default DP shaft taper turned down a bit to make it comfortable enough for me to use. (The default taper was relatively thick in the section close to the joint and this thickness went further up the shaft than most cues.) I have kept the cue and played with it every day ever since.

br8knrun52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hotcues said:
They play stiff. I think you get alot of cue for the money!

I third that! I recently received my DP2 w/ leather wrap and I love it. I did take down the 2 shafts a little bit due to the thickness...but as they say, "to each his own." Good luck with your choice.

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
Dale Perry Cue

You cannot beat the cues for the hit and quality and Dale is a quality person to deal with!!!

mastercueartist

Registered
Mr. Wilson said:
It's what I choose to shoot with.......for now :D

Dave

I think Dave, there is one here locally for sale used thats one of Dales nicer ones. I can check with the cuemaker that took it on trade in if you would like to see it or have an interest in the cue. The maker told me about a week or 2 ago he took one in on trade and knew I was loooking for a certain dp cue that went missing from Ricky that owns the old pool hall in Aberdeen a while ago.Its not the same cue that rick lost but I think for a hundred or 2 you can get the just of a DP cue. Personally I think Dale uses good wood but not so aged as Tim or Mike. Only construction complaint I have is the wooden pinset used to attach the butt like Dave hodges used to do.I do not like that Air gap inside like that.Im not too Keen for the CNC also but dont want to open a major issue on cnc as Im sure people would start a thing on it a ruin this post.DP cues that I have tuned seem to hit like a cross between a schon and a palmer when in stock form.Not bad but not sure of the values of them.I can check and see if it is still availible and if so I can pick it up and you can stop in and hit a few balls here at my shop with it to get a basic feel.I think they are nice I guess if set up for the player

Qnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own 5 Dale Perrys, from a (very slightly) fancy sneaky pete to a high-end ebony/ivory/turquoise cue (that was pictured on his site last time I was there). All of them are 1 of a kinds and have the Radial pins. I like the feel and the hit, but that's a personal thing.

His standard shafts are a little beefy for me, but if I remember correctly he give you the option of modifying the shaft diameter and taper. He also has a radial spliced shaft now if you're into that type of thing. I have one in my bag but haven't had a chance to try out yet.

I also have a couple I wouldn't mind parting with--if interested send me a PM.

~Chris

ashmouth

Registered Offender
SCCues said:

Thanks,
SCCues

I got a DP off of EBay last year and I have to say that for the money I spent, I got excellent value. The cue reminds me of my old Schon STL 7 but with slightly more action. I agree with previous posters that flooding the market hurts collectibility but if you're main concern is finding a good playing cue at a reasonable price, it's not a bad choice.

pharaoh68

Banned
I'm going to have to disagree with most of you and let me explain why before all of you start attacking me. Dale Perry's cues do play well but in my opinion, they are nothing remarkable. They play like so many other cues out there. As far as the work goes, well, thats my reason for disliking Dale's cues.
I read in an article once that once all point are cue and a cue is ready to be inlaid Paul Drexler used to rush through the inlaying process and that would compromise the integrity of the cue. Dale, on the other hand, seems intent on pumping out hundreds of cues a year and using ebay to act as a retail store. To me, I see nothing spectacular about his inaly work and I could name doens of cuemakers who a) cut better point and b) make a generally more attractive cue.
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like a cue maker that doesn't pimp himself out on ebay and crank out hundreds of cues a year. When you make that many, you can be doing your best work on everything. Obviously something must be suffering.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
a friend of mine unscrewed the shaft on his perry once, and the pin dropped out.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
a friend of mine unscrewed the shaft on his perry once, and the pin dropped out.

At least he's using the Radial now instead of the crappy Uniloc. I had a DP with a uniloc and if you tapped it on the table just right you could play "Jingle Bells" with it.

DP cues are an entry level custom with little collectible value. If they were really good he could sell as many as he wanted on E-Bay and players and collectors would snatch them up.

Chris

k-carson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i think that is a risk puting big money in a cue by a living cue maker
unless the cue is of outstanding every freaking thing
anyone in the custom cue business could decide its time to
"produce " expecially someone with a stong reputation
nearing retirement age

todays buyers demand the artistry and complexity , that cnc offers
well another thing cnc offers is the ability increase production quite a bit

and its a big investment to let the machine collect dust

plus dale is a business man

how many people would cry there eyes out if harley davidson started making enough bikes that a fat boy could be bought for its $ 13000 stickerprice
without waiting 1 year and a $4000 premium

KBP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DP does good work on his cues and on repairs of any type on cues. I have for years sent people to see him for cues and cue repair. Dale is a good guy and if you need your shaft tapered he will more than gladly do it. Hope everyone enjoys his cues and his work.
Kay