UPA another Conflict in scheduling?

jjinfla

Banned
Shorty, Their tour schedule lists it after October 2005 so I would assume that must be Jan 2006.

This is becoming funnier and funnier.

I wonder if they actually have a board meeting where they sit around and decide how they can do this.

Well I guess the UPA pros really didn't want to go to the DCC anyway. Can't make any money there now can they?

Jake

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
That is the correct date for Derby this year. It seems to be a week earlier than usual.

Regarding the UPA throwing events up against other events, they always throw events up against my events, I am used to it. Charlie promised to throw an event up against anything that I did unless I sanctioned with the UPA.

Eydie

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
What is amazing here, is that Diamond Billiards is a big sponsor of the DCC and they were a big sponsor of the UPA when the UPA first formed. You would think that there would be loyalty to the company that helped them get started.

Mike

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
What is amazing here, is that Diamond Billiards is a big sponsor of the DCC and they were a big sponsor of the UPA when the UPA first formed. You would think that there would be loyalty to the company that helped them get started.

Mike

Like my avatar states Mike. Some people just can't help themselves.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Is everybody saying that there will be a UPA event the same week as the DCC next year??? If so, OUCH!! I'm going to DCC, and I hope nobody shows up at the UPA tournament if this is the case. Now if we can just convince Efren to attend the UPA instead, maybe someone else will have a chance to win at DCC. :)

PrinsNick

TD Supreme
Silver Member
Actually, I doubt that they are doing it deliberately, but I may be wrong in some cases. I just think they don't do their homework, or perhaps they are just oblivious to everything else that goes on in the pool world.

Last year, they had tentatively scheduled an event in Washington, DC over the same weekend in December as our Planet Pool year-end finals just down the road in Rockville. Charlie was very surprized when I told him that at Valley Forge in 2004. The fact is, had they actually gone ahead and had that event (it was cancelled altogether), it would not have affected us as we expected (and got) 120 players anyway. If at all, it would have hurt them, not us. I'd think the same with this DCC schedule conflict...

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
Bob Romano said:
That is the correct date for Derby this year. It seems to be a week earlier than usual.

Regarding the UPA throwing events up against other events, they always throw events up against my events, I am used to it. Charlie promised to throw an event up against anything that I did unless I sanctioned with the UPA.

Eydie

time for some guerilla marketing/warfare, Eydie,,,,

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
The DCC is a very popular event. I've heard some people say they prefer it over the US Open. The UPA could be making a mistake trying to schedule an event against the DCC if they have sponsors who are counting on them having a certain number of players at their event.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Romano said:

Eydie

Could you enlightened us as to what the UPA demands to be sanctioned by
them? Just curious as to what it takes?
Also does it mean that if theres another UPA event at the same time that
a player member of the UPA can not play another event. Is this correct?

This is even more reason for the AzBilliard 10 Ball tour. However it needs to be a tour not an event so that the players can quit the UPA and play the
AZBT.

Superstroke

Registered
I think the intentions of the UPA, depend on the people they are running up against.
If you have a good relationship with Charlie, then you probably will smooth things out more than not.
If you happen to be someone who he does not get along with, then he adopts the "wants to rule the world" attitude. He's definitely got Small man syndrome. The type of guy who buys a big muscle car cause he's a wimp but want to be macho.

I personally don't think that he will be satisfied till he is in charge of everything. Making money off of every pool decision that transpires.

This is exactly the type of situation where we need some philanthropist who loves pool to show up...invest tons of money to have very high dollar amount tournaments, with everyone who shows up getting an appearance fee.

Do business like the japanese, and basically undercut the competition till the UPA is broke, and has to drop out of existence.

Plus the DERBY is the place to be. I would think that if one gambling game has more money in it than all the money added at the UPA event.
Players will definitely question which one to go to.

Superstroke

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Maybe if EVERYBODY wasn't UPA sanctioned, and then the UPA would try to have conflicting event with everybody else's event, the UPA would run out of money and players :D .

Hey....

jjinfla

Banned
Well, next time CW is playing in a tournament start talking to him as he is shooting. Ah, but that wouldn't be nice.

Jake

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I would suspect that the PROs would keep quiet, rather than mention either a 'pro or con' comment about these scheduling conflicts.

It seems that there is a disproportional amount of Pro Players in the Mid-West and East Coast, that would prohibit a sucessful January Pro event on the West Coast.

Maybe this will be a 'self inflicted' "Shot in the Foot" for the UPA......

Surely the UPA can't continue to hold $25000 added tournaments with only 40 players showing up? and be offering a quality product?

KBP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DDKoop said:
Like my avatar states Mike. Some people just can't help themselves.

I have this problem all the time with my amateur events. I will book a whole year in advance and the schedule comes out in Dec and I check all I can get my hot little hands on and then all of a sudden I have to cancel an event becasue someone decided to book a $3400 add event right down the road from my $500 add amateur event. Some of the open events only consider my players ball bangers but if you check us out we have some good competitive players. And then the other event blame me for the booking but they didn't have a schdule up when I did mine. Its hard to deal with and then the palyers have to make a choice. Its not really fair no matter what you try to do. I make a grand decision this season. I will be booking in Sept, Oct and the early part of Nov for 2006 and I hope that this year will be better.
Kayl