UGH!!! What's wrong with people??!!

Brklyn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay - I'm playing in a 9-ball tourney today, race to 6 and I'm up 5-0. I'm playing some of the best pool I've ever played, and really felt like I was in the "zone". I broke rack 6 and didn't make a ball, so I go sit. A player from another table, who was in his own match, walked over to me to tell me that I wasn't breaking from the box, which I honestly did not realize. I freaking flipped out! Not verbally, but mentally. I totally lost my focus and before I knew it I was missing straight-in 1 foot shots. Needless to say, I lost the match 6-5. I'm usually pretty good at blocking out outside interference, people talking or walking around, but this totally took me out of my game. I felt that it was totally inappropriate and none of his business, but I also know he didn't mean anything malicious. I'm sitting there thinking why he couldn't wait until the match was over to tell me, as at 5-0 I wasn't going to break again. And I'm having this entire conversation in my head over and over and over. I was livid.

What would you do in a situation like this to maintain your composure and sense of calm? I was never able to regain my brain and ended up going two and out (yes, I agree - my fault).

After I got knocked out of the tourney, I sort of nicely explained the situation to him and how his actions affected me, and I'm sure he'll never interrupt another player in a match again. Even though it's now a few hours later, I'm still mad.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only you know why you "freaking flipped out."

As you explained it, I don't think I would have been bothered.

GordonRamsay

Snooker > Pool
Silver Member
well... if you weren't breaking from the box and had won...(it was part of the tourney rules right?) wouldn't you have been dq'ed anyway? Granted that wasn't the nicest thing to do by interrupting someone, but I would have called sharking on him...and given that person an award for being the biggest douchebag of the tourney.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I can't understand why you let something so little bother you so much that it cost you 6 games in a row. Doesn't sound like that big of a focus killer to me.
MULLY

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Attitude

Brklyn said:
Okay - I'm playing in a 9-ball tourney today, race to 6 and I'm up 5-0. I'm playing some of the best pool I've ever played, and really felt like I was in the "zone". I broke rack 6 and didn't make a ball, so I go sit. A player from another table, who was in his own match, walked over to me to tell me that I wasn't breaking from the box, which I honestly did not realize. I freaking flipped out! Not verbally, but mentally. I totally lost my focus and before I knew it I was missing straight-in 1 foot shots. Needless to say, I lost the match 6-5. I'm usually pretty good at blocking out outside interference, people talking or walking around, but this totally took me out of my game. I felt that it was totally inappropriate and none of his business, but I also know he didn't mean anything malicious. I'm sitting there thinking why he couldn't wait until the match was over to tell me, as at 5-0 I wasn't going to break again. And I'm having this entire conversation in my head over and over and over. I was livid.

What would you do in a situation like this to maintain your composure and sense of calm? I was never able to regain my brain and ended up going two and out (yes, I agree - my fault).

After I got knocked out of the tourney, I sort of nicely explained the situation to him and how his actions affected me, and I'm sure he'll never interrupt another player in a match again. Even though it's now a few hours later, I'm still mad.

It all depends on your attitude towards the situation.

If you think it's a big deal, It is and you're affected. If you are thankful and give the informer a wink and a thumbs up, you keep winning.

YOU decide. Period.

Ray
(thinks wrong sometimes too) but not here

********STILL MAKING SUPPORT FOR SMORG BADGES - PM ME

Last edited:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Wow, I'd not have so much focus that I lost from the hill with an opponent with no games.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agreed...

Bigtruck said:
It all depends on your attitude towards the situation.

If you think it's a big deal, It is and you're affected. If you are thankful and give the informer a wink and a thumbs up, you keep winning.

YOU decide. Period.

Ray
(thinks wrong sometimes too) but not here

I totally agree with your assessment. He may have felt bothered that he had broken the rules and was going to win, possibly because of it.
Upon being advised of his mistakes, he should have advised the tournament director of the situation and let him decide what was to be done. Replay of games, DQ, whatever was appropriate.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its not over till its over...

Craig Fales said:
Wow, I'd not have so much focus that I lost from the hill with an opponent with no games.

Don't kid yourself... you WILL lose a match like this someday.

Jule

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the title should be "What's wrong with me?". IMHO it's 100% your fault that you lost that game. No offense, just MHO.

Ed Simmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now I know how to shark you!

If I offer you constuctive criticism during a match you will meltdown.

I think your signature rings truer than you think....

MattS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you supossed to break from the box? If so your lucky nobody turned you in to the TD. You owe that guy a huge apology. The question is what is wrong with you? so basicaly your cheating and sombody points it out to you. Not to bust you but to bring it to your attention and then you cave and throw a tantrum. You have zero right to be mad at him. Its all 100% on you!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
something to work on

You are still mad but are you really mad at the person that told you that you weren't breaking from the box? I don't get it, but I demand perfection from myself in competition and if I don't do everything very close to the level I should I get quite annoyed with myself although I can usually box it in and ignore it until after the competition.

I suspect that why you are really upset is that you were making a mistake that you should have not been making, something you knew better than doing.

Speaking of which, I know better than to talk this way to a lady while she is still mad.

Hu(ducking low and dodging fast!)

Brklyn said:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't see how or why that would bother you so much.

It wouldn't have bothered me in the least.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the short side -- you have very little composure and you don't know where to break from. League play at its finest.

Rod

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brklyn said:

This has happened to everyone. Me more times than I care to remember.

The truth is, if you're looking for a way to lose, any old excuse will do.

~rc

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
You need to learn how to talk to your self, how to calm your self. It's all part of being in competition repeatedly. Practice it by playing in league or gambling frequently. You learn how to calm the wild horses in your head, get them into a heard and lead them into the corral without a whimper.

It's ok to have butterflys in your stomach.... you just learn how to make the little bastards fly in formation. :groucho:

Some deep breathing through the nose, relaxing the upper body and neck muscles when exhaling and some calming words that you come up with on your own.. your words that work for you, these are the keys to being master of your emotions.

As you practice these methods you slowly realize that there is nothing in the world outside of you that has the power to control your mind. You are the master of your self. You can do this all day long by not letting anything cause you to act out your emotions and then finding ways to vent the emotional pressure in a more productive and troublefree manner.

Last edited: