Mosconi Cup 2008 : Team Europe complete

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
The last 2 spots left have been attributed to :

Niels Feijen and Mika Immonen

They will compete to the side of Ralf Souquet, Tony Drago and Mark Gray.

Our british friends will be very disappointed that neither Daryl Peach (current World 9 ball Champion) nor Darren Appleton (current World 10 ball Champion) will take part to the event :(

Last edited:

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
billbOK said:
The 2 last spots left have been attributed to :

Our british friends will be very disappointed that neither Daryl Peach (current World 9 ball Champion) nor Darren Appleton (current World 10 ball Champion) will take part to the event :(
Being American, I guess I don't know all the details, but it's hard to believe that Tony Drago and Mark Gray were chosen over Daryl Peach and Darren Appleton. But I do like to think I keep up with pool enough to have the opinion that Daryl and Darren would be better choices.

Mike

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
Mike Templeton said:
Being American, I guess I don't know all the details, but it's hard to believe that Tony Drago and Mark Gray were chosen over Daryl Peach and Darren Appleton. But I do like to think I keep up with pool enough to have the opinion that Daryl and Darren would be better choices.

Mike

Tony drago was choose in quality of MVP of the 2007 edition. Mark Gray was choose because he was #1 in the Euro Tour ranking right after the Dutch Open, wich assure a spot to the Mosconi Cup team.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drag kicked all the asses in his way last year thats why he is playin again...gray, well there could have been others like Hohmann, Engert and van den Berg, wich in my opinion would have been the better choice

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
sascha said:
Drag kicked all the asses in his way last year thats why he is playin again...gray, well there could have been others like Hohmann, Engert and van den Berg, wich in my opinion would have been the better choice

I gues i was not clear enough... Sorry. Gray is not a choice, he won his spot through the Euro Tour ranking right after the 2008 Dutch Open, like Stepanov won his spot in 2007.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
billbOK said:
The last 2 spots left have been attributed to :

This is a strong team, maybe the favorites again. Too bad they don't have six players like they used to. Darren belongs on this team too.

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
...Too bad they don't have six players like they used to. Darren belongs on this team too.

I agree with that Jay, feel sorry for dynamite...

travisw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW unreal i cant believe darren isnt on that team. it really sucks for him especially since if the teams were chosen this time last week he was a lock over mika. Unfortunatly the Euro's just have to many major champions this year to all make it. Snap off a world championship and still not get chosen to represent you country is rough

cajunbarboxplyr

Beatem down wit a Varney
Silver Member
Darren Deserves a spot..........Darryl.........not so much. but thas jsut my opinion........................... Get rid of Gray and put Dynomite in there!

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda sad that Dynomite didnt get in. He has played so good this year. :confused:

Just my opinion.

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
This is a strong team, maybe the favorites again. Too bad they don't have six players like they used to. Darren belongs on this team too.
Hey Jay, why are there only 5 spots this year? Do you know?

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
unreal

how do they put neils in there!!!!!! appleton wins the world 10 ball and a euro tour stop, ranked in the top 10 in points and gets snubbed! something isnt right there..........it just aint right!:confused:

ob1-mackie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drago is in there because it's in malta....and when he plays in malta it guarantees sell out crowds.
darren should have been in the team.....can't believe they could pick feijen over him.....darren won the biggest tournament of the year.
i agree with immonen because he's in good form and played excellent at the us open.
mark gray is an outstanding player......the guy will just keep getting better and better.its a shame he's got a pretty weak break though but i'm sure hes working hard to improve it.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Ralf Souquet - winner Derby City Classic, winner of 2 of 6 Eurotour's this year, last years Captain
Tony Drago - MVP last year, Mosconi Cup arranged in his hometown, Predator 10-ball Champion, winner of 1 Eurotour
Niels Feijen - World 14-1 Champion, 3rd World Ten Ball, runner-up Qatar World 9-ball Open, top 3 on Eurotour-ranking, good Mosconi-cup stats
Mark Gray - Was on top of the Eurotour-ranking for almost a year, and won his spot. Didn't win any tournaments this year, but finished high in most of them, securing him enough points to top the ranking in September.
Mika Immonen - runner-up World Pool Masters, US Open Champion

Not on the team:
Darren Appleton, World Ten Ball Champion, 1 Eurotour win

The nr 1 on the Eurotour-ranking next September is guaranteed a spot. As of today, Ralf Souquet is the new leader.

If Mika Immonen had not won US Open, Darren Appleton would be in, imo

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
It really sucks that Daz didnt get on the squad. Glad Mika made it and he deserves the spot.

[Ric Flair Voice]In the end I guess it really doesnt matter because come December in some country no one in America knows the location of the US is going to stomp a mudhole in that Euro azz. You gotta walk that aisle......woooooooo[/Ric flair Voice] (Cue JAM's USA chant.....)

<------thinks pool should have Mean Gene do the interviews like back in the 80's

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
Mark grey? really??

i can see tony being there cause its in malta but daz not being there is crazy.

btw when is the usa team being announced?

dynamite

Gold Member
mosconi

thanks for kind words

i must say am deeply shocked and devastated to be honest..

but thats life i suppose!

good luck to lads that made it anyway

and mike sorry i couldnt do phone interview today

tmrw be good if ok with you

dynamite

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tim-n-NM said:
Hey Jay, why are there only 5 spots this year? Do you know?

They cut from six to five players last year. I think it is a cost decision, since each player is guaranteed 10K for playing, with the winning side receiving 20K each. Cutting two players saves Matchroom 30K. That will pay a lot of other bills/expenses/salaries. Every business is cost conscious these days.