Cue ball placement on the break shot.

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
I like to break hard, so instead of breaking with the cue ball off to the right or off to the left would it favor someone with a slam break just to line up the cue ball head on with the head ball?...because after all accuracy is the key and it would be easier to be accurate like this right?

i realize people who line the cue ball off center are doing this for the cut break or the soft break.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still have to hit the head-ball square

JXMIKE said:
I like to break hard, so instead of breaking with the cue ball off to the right or off to the left would it favor someone with a slam break just to line up the cue ball head on with the head ball?...because after all accuracy is the key and it would be easier to be accurate like this right?

i realize people who line the cue ball off center are doing this for the cut break or the soft break.

JXMIKE:

Not necessarily. On 8-ball, 9-ball, and 10-ball breaks, I place the cue-ball about one-half diamond to the left (or right, depending on the table and how I feel) of the head-spot. I then aim 100% square-on with the cue-ball, as if I was going to drive that head-ball straight through the back of the rack, and have that head-ball do a "half-ball hit" with the middle ball in the back row of the rack (or the ball at the tail-end of the diamond, in the case of 9-ball). Even on those occasions when I break from either of the side/long rails, I'm still aiming squarely at the head-ball, no cutting or slicing of that head-ball. The only time I don't do this, is in straight pool or One Pocket (both of those games require the break that is classic for that particular game, i.e. wing-ball safety break for straight pool, and inside-english cut break on the second/third ball for One Pocket).

I hope this is helpful!
-Sean

hfelsh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For eight or nine ball, I place the cue ball on the right side of the table, and it's as close to exact as I can get it, halfway between the first two diamonds/markers on the foot of the table, and halfway between the #2 & #3 diamonds/markers on the side of the table.

With a good firm, solid break, I can consistently drop the 4 ball (assuming the balls are racked in numerical order, with the nine in the center) in the top right corner pocket every break, and typically get 1, 2 or even 3 other balls to drop as well (different pockets, however.) Same break position for 8 ball, I almost always get at least one ball in the top right corner pocket.

And nope, I'm not using a cut break or a soft break.
darn.gif