I need a teacher.

STLantny

Hi,
This is my first post on the forumn, Im just starting out in pool. I am really bad, hehe, but Im practicing, Im not getting much better, and think that Im re-inforcing bad habits/play, because I really dont know exactly what I should be doing. Can someone reccomend a site where I can find a teacher in the St. Louis, MO area? Thanks.

STLantny said:
Hi,
This is my first post on the forumn, Im just starting out in pool. I am really bad, hehe, but Im practicing, Im not getting much better, and think that Im re-inforcing bad habits/play, because I really dont know exactly what I should be doing. Can someone reccomend a site where I can find a teacher in the St. Louis, MO area? Thanks.

How much money do you have...OHB might be willing to assist in the learning process. :D

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I live in O'Fallon, Illinois; about 15 minutes East of St. Louis!
Look under the thread "Cue School Week". If you're looking for something earlier than that, check out www.zimsrack.com and contact if you're interested!
Where do you live at?

Thanks and good luck,
Zim

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
STLantny said:
Hi,

Welcome to AZB, STL!

Zims Rack said:
I live in O'Fallon, Illinois; about 15 minutes East of St. Louis!
Look under the thread "Cue School Week". If you're looking for something earlier than that, check out www.zimsrack.com and contact if you're interested!
Where do you live at?

Thanks and good luck,
Zim

And who said there's no such thing as luck...what a fortuitous and impeccably timed post by first time poster "Shootin' screwy in St. Looie".
Not only that, but Zim lucked out even more in getting additional advertising and air time. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... :confused: :eek:

Zims Rack

Silver Member
Sometimes luck just falls on some people! We'll see how it turns out!
Ohhh, thanks for the extra plug for me!

Zim

B

Bruce S. de Lis

STLantny said:
Hi,

I was pretty much Self Taught, or Self mislead for almost 40 Years Plus of Playing Pool. I am now lucky as a friend who is a BCA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR is tutoring me FOR FREE.

But if you are on a Tight Budget, or Just want some Fundamentasl under your Belt before paying an Instructor $40.00-$50.00/Hour Plus for instructions.

I would personally recommend the Robert Byrne Tape Series Volumes I & II. Bet $40.00 I ever spent on Pool. I bouth the tape for a DEAL PRICE, but they are available from Muller Recreation for about $25.00 EACH..........
....... :)

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
Mark Wilson

I have to suggest Mark Wilson. I think he is a great instructor and going to him and letting him create a consistant repeatable stroke from scratch would be an excellent thing to do! His website is www.playgreatpool.com.

That being said, you have to reallize that after the lessons you need to apply and practice those lessons. This is when you should contact OHB and see if he'll play you some cheap sets. I only wish I was closer to St. Louis so I could regularly play the stronger competition so I could improve. I'm sure playing in that environment you will improve by leaps and bounds!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Mark Wilson. I live no where near him but has anyone tried his video stroke analysis? Just wondering how much information you could get from this and how helpful it would be.

Thanks,
Dave

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
First off welcome to the board.

I also would recommend Mark Wilson, he is considered by many as one of the top instructors.

I havent had the opportunity to meet or work with Zim, but I agree with much of what he posts here.

I have also started working with students, I dont want to make this into a big add so if you want to talk to me about who I have studied under, what I believe it takes to get good at this game, or anything else feel free to send me a pm.

But understand that no matter who you work with (as long as they are qualified) it will take dedication and work from you to see the improvement. We can give you the knowledge and tools to improve, but any improvement you achieve will be due to the work you put into the game.

Woody

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
woody_968 said:
But understand that no matter who you work with (as long as they are qualified) it will take dedication and work from you to see the improvement. We can give you the knowledge and tools to improve, but any improvement you achieve will be due to the work you put into the game.

Woody

Tap, tap, tap Woody.

STLantny

I actually bought the byrnes vids, 1 and 2 at muellers, but every time, I play I feel Im doing something wrong. Money isnt a problem, but from a couple guys that I chatted with at ameristar, where I play poker, they say taht a lot of instructors charge 100$/hour or so, and you just run the same drill? Not sure though as a lot of BS gets thrown at the tables. Unfortuently there are no BCA instructors in my area, or at least i couldnt find any at the list i looked at a couple of days ago. Ill be contacting you guys that gave me the contact info though. Im from The Hill, near south stl. Thanks.

PS Where can i find Mark Wilson? Im sorry, also what/who is OHB.

Last edited:

Zims Rack

Silver Member
STLantny said:
I actually bought the byrnes vids, 1 and 2 and muellers, but every time, I play I feel Im doing something wrong. Money isnt a problem, but from a couple guys that I chatted with at ameristar, where I play poker, they say taht a lot of instructors charge 100$/hour or so, and you just run the same drill? Not sure though as a lot of BS gets thrown at the tables. Unfortuently there are no BCA instructors in my area, or at least i couldnt find any at the list i looked at a couple of days ago. Ill be contacting you guys that gave me the contact info though. Thanks.

PS Where can i find Mark Wilson?
Mark is in Collinsville Illinois on Main St, the Billiard Bullpen is his place of business. Mark is a great guy and a fantastic instructor! (geesh...I hate plugging competition, haha) Seriously, Mark and I are about the same distance from St. Louis. He is BCA and I am BSACA (started from former BCA instructor)
Best of luck!
Zim

STLantny said:
PS Im sorry, also what/who is OHB.

Just give us all of the information on what pool room you hang out at, what days and what time. Maybe a picture of yourself too, so he can find you. He posts on here. Sure wouldn't want him getting you mixed up with someone else and helping them instead.

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
STLantny said:
PS Where can i find Mark Wilson? Im sorry, also what/who is OHB.

OHB = OldHasBeen = Tom Ferry

OHB is a great pool player in the St. Louis area who will play you some cheap sets. Playing someone who is better than you when there is something on the line is the best way to get better. That is why I recommended that you see if you can play some regular sets with him after lessons. Edit: BTW, OHB won the first ever Missouri State Amature 9-Ball tournament as well as the most recent!

Zim took care of the Mark Wilson thing, but I'll post his website again that gives a lot of information about his lessons and what not. http://www.playgreatpool.com Mark's emphasis is on stroke mechanics and creating the easiest most repeatable swing. It's all about hitting the point on the cue ball where you're aiming as accurately as possible. Once you can do this then everything else will be much easier to learn because you won't be hitting a different place on the cue ball every time.

Last edited:

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
STLantny said:
PS Where can i find Mark Wilson?

Here is Mark Wilsons website http://www.playgreatpool.com/

As far as cost,, when I was working on learning to teach and improving my own game (still both ongoing lol) I spent a day with Mark. I believe it was around 200 for the entire day, you need to check with him though as I could be mistaken. But what ever it was, it was one of the best investments I ever made.

Books and videos are great for getting information, but to really improve you need someone that knows what to look for to watch you. Many times, what it feels like (or think) you are doing is not really what is happening.

Zims Rack

Silver Member
update...

FWIW:
This young gentleman will start Session I this Friday.

Thanks,
Zim

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
So, you say - "Money Isn't A Problem"!

STLantny said:
I actually bought the byrnes vids, 1 and 2 at muellers, but every time, I play I feel Im doing something wrong. Money isnt a problem, but from a couple guys that I chatted with at ameristar, where I play poker, they say taht a lot of instructors charge 100$/hour or so, and you just run the same drill? Not sure though as a lot of BS gets thrown at the tables. Unfortuently there are no BCA instructors in my area, or at least i couldnt find any at the list i looked at a couple of days ago. Ill be contacting you guys that gave me the contact info though. Im from The Hill, near south stl. Thanks.

STLantny - As soon as you said "Money Isn't A Problem", my computer started telling me to go to this thread.
I'M OHB - And I play almost every day (4pm) at The Break poolroom in Cahokia, IL.
You just get on 44E and take the Poplar St. bridge, go south on Hwy 3 about 2 miles passed the titty bars. It will be on the left and has a big Pool Table Sign. This is a "Cheers-Type" poolroom and everyone is VERY friendly. This is also where most of the Hi$ action is for the entire Metro region.
VERY IMPORTANT - If your coming from "The Hill", please call first as I am sure you would be welcome much more - IF - You came in with some of AMIGHETTI's Sandwiches.
As Zim was telling you - I will play cheap sets especially in the early afternoon - IF - there isn't something more lucrative going on.
With you living "On The Hill" and coming over to play pool @ The Break - I'M SURE WE CAN WORK OUT A GOOD SPOT AND PLAY FOR FOOD.
Seriously - Call me anytime @ (314) 645-3932 - My Biz #

TY & GL

Ps - I live in the Clayton area and it only takes me 14 min. to get to The Break - Your a good 5 - 7 min. closer.

myk13

Registered
when i was beginning an old instructor gave me a book call 99 critical shots , it helped me learn alot. you should check it out.